Corporate Monkey

Default Turning Brick to drywall

Hi everyone,

I have a nice large family room/breakfast room addition. The issue is
that one wall is all brick (use to be the back of the house). The brick
wall is 12 feet high and 30 feet long.

I would rather that wall have the look of drywall, not brick. Any
solutions? I could put up dry wall but then I assume I'd need to put up
studs and attach them to the brick? Would drywall mud work?

Any other creative ideas?

Thanks!
Manta

Doug Miller

In article .com, "Corporate Monkey" wrote:
I have a nice large family room/breakfast room addition. The issue is
that one wall is all brick (use to be the back of the house). The brick
wall is 12 feet high and 30 feet long.

I would rather that wall have the look of drywall, not brick. Any
solutions? I could put up dry wall but then I assume I'd need to put up
studs and attach them to the brick?

That's correct. Firring strips, anyway - not necessarily studs.

Would drywall mud work?

Sure - over the joints in your drywall. You're not thinking of putting drywall
mud right over the brick, are you?

Any other creative ideas?

It might work to have the wall plastered. But talk to a plaster contractor.
That is *not* a do-it-yourself job: making an entire wall look flat and smooth
is an art unto itself, that requires considerable practice.

--
Regards,

Edwin Pawlowski

"Corporate Monkey" wrote in message

I would rather that wall have the look of drywall, not brick. Any
solutions? I could put up dry wall but then I assume I'd need to put up
studs and attach them to the brick? Would drywall mud work?

Any other creative ideas?

You frame out the wall with 2 x 3 or 2 x 4, attaching the header and sill
plate to the ceiling and floor. Add insulation with vapor barrier and then
drywall. This is a good time to add receptacles too.

Vic Dura

On Tue, 24 May 2005 13:50:11 GMT, in alt.home.repair Turning
Brick to drywall "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

"Corporate Monkey" wrote in message

I would rather that wall have the look of drywall, not brick. Any
solutions? I could put up dry wall but then I assume I'd need to put up
studs and attach them to the brick? Would drywall mud work?

Any other creative ideas?

You frame out the wall with 2 x 3 or 2 x 4, attaching the header and sill
plate to the ceiling and floor. Add insulation with vapor barrier and then
drywall. This is a good time to add receptacles too.

That's the solutions that probably makes the most sense.

Vic Dura

On 24 May 2005 05:37:55 -0700, in alt.home.repair Turning Brick
to drywall "Corporate Monkey" wrote:

Any other creative ideas?

How about stucco? However, that's really not a DIY project.

Corporate Monkey

WOW! Thanks for the advice. I like the idea of glueing to the brick. It
sounds easier than putting up studs or firring strips..but is it
easier?

Let's say I want to put up studs since it is a large wall and I want to
do electrical outlets...how do I attach the studs to the brick? I'm a
newbie to alot of this..so if possible, pease be as descriptive as
possible. What type of nails...screws..etc.

Thanks!
Manta

wrote:
On 24 May 2005 05:37:55 -0700, "Corporate Monkey"
wrote:

Hi everyone,

I have a nice large family room/breakfast room addition. The issue is
that one wall is all brick (use to be the back of the house). The brick
wall is 12 feet high and 30 feet long.

I would rather that wall have the look of drywall, not brick. Any
solutions? I could put up dry wall but then I assume I'd need to put up
studs and attach them to the brick? Would drywall mud work?

Any other creative ideas?

Thanks!
Manta

If I am picturing this correctly, you have built an addition onto the
back of your house so that exterior back wall is now an interior wall,
and you want to drywall it.

There's no magic to this.

You can glue the drywall right to the brick, using PL Premium or
other appropriate construction adhesive. Make sure the brick is
clean and use a few Tapcon screws to hold each sheet in place.

There is no need to insulate or vapour barrier, it is now an interior
wall. You would use studs or furring strips only if 1) the brick
wall is defective (ie bowed, out of plumb, whatever) or 2) if you
wish to run plumbing or electrical on that wall.

Ken

Edwin Pawlowski

"Corporate Monkey" wrote in message

Let's say I want to put up studs since it is a large wall and I want to
do electrical outlets...how do I attach the studs to the brick? I'm a
newbie to alot of this..so if possible, pease be as descriptive as
possible. What type of nails...screws..etc.

Did you read my reply from yesterday? The one that said to nail the header
to the ceiling and the plate to the floor? No, I guess you didn't. You
don't attach the studs to the brick. If you cannot read, I doubt you should
be swinging a hammer as they can hurt people. . Use the nails with
heads on the header to ceiling, the ones needed for the plate depends on
what material the floor it. FWIW, it is "a lot", not "alot"

Corporate Monkey

Actually...I didn't read the whole thread...my apologies but thanks for
taking time to write the details. I can read..but I still doubt my
ability with a hammer! Thank God I don't have to use a nail gun!!

Robert Allison

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Corporate Monkey" wrote in message

I would rather that wall have the look of drywall, not brick. Any
solutions? I could put up dry wall but then I assume I'd need to put up
studs and attach them to the brick? Would drywall mud work?

Any other creative ideas?

You frame out the wall with 2 x 3 or 2 x 4, attaching the header and sill
plate to the ceiling and floor. Add insulation with vapor barrier and then
drywall. This is a good time to add receptacles too.

Why would one need a vapor barrier and insulation between two
living spaces?

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.