DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   How do you remove a hose bib that is frozen in place (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/108382-how-do-you-remove-hose-bib-frozen-place.html)

[email protected] May 23rd 05 04:22 PM

How do you remove a hose bib that is frozen in place

I am trying to change a hose bib on outside of the house. The bib is
stuck and I cannot seem to free it up. When I turn it the pipe it is
connected to turns as well. I tried to hold the main pipe with a
plumber's wrench and pliers, but I cannot grip the pipe very well
because it is smooth and round. Should i use lock-tite or is there some
other chemical I can use to loosen the bib's connection from the pipe?

Joseph Meehan May 23rd 05 04:33 PM

wrote:
I am trying to change a hose bib on outside of the house. The bib is
stuck and I cannot seem to free it up. When I turn it the pipe it is
connected to turns as well. I tried to hold the main pipe with a
plumber's wrench and pliers, but I cannot grip the pipe very well
because it is smooth and round. Should i use lock-tite or is there
some other chemical I can use to loosen the bib's connection from the
pipe?

Are you sure it is not soldered on? Some have dual use fittings.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Duane Bozarth May 23rd 05 05:11 PM

Joseph Meehan wrote:

wrote:
I am trying to change a hose bib on outside of the house. The bib is
stuck and I cannot seem to free it up. When I turn it the pipe it is
connected to turns as well. I tried to hold the main pipe with a
plumber's wrench and pliers, but I cannot grip the pipe very well
because it is smooth and round. Should i use lock-tite or is there
some other chemical I can use to loosen the bib's connection from the
pipe?

Are you sure it is not soldered on? Some have dual use fittings.

Plus, OP better check on what may have broken loose w/ the turning of
the supply line...sounds like a leak potential inside a wall or in a
crawl space to me.

[email protected] May 23rd 05 06:32 PM

I have changed others in my house, but not this one, so don't think it
is soldered. No others have been soldered. I think it is just tight
and old. Luckily it is right outsid of my garage, so the lead pipe is
not too difficult to access if there are signs of a leak. I have
drywall there, but it isn't finished.

Isn't there some type of chemical I can use to loosen the tension?

Joseph Meehan May 23rd 05 07:08 PM

wrote:
I have changed others in my house, but not this one, so don't think it
is soldered. No others have been soldered. I think it is just tight
and old. Luckily it is right outsid of my garage, so the lead pipe is
not too difficult to access if there are signs of a leak. I have
drywall there, but it isn't finished.

Isn't there some type of chemical I can use to loosen the tension?

WD-40 (not the best but easy to find) may help, heat may help, really
opening it up for access so you can get a really big wrench on the pipe, and
have someone on the other end is likely to be the best choice. Be ready to
do some additional repair work as they don't always come apart easily.
Sometimes it is just easier to cut it off.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Mark May 23rd 05 07:47 PM

Why not just remove the pipe that is turning easily along with the hose bib?
Then the rest should be easier and if worse comes to worse saw a hole in the
sheetrock to access the pipe. probably an elbow in there.

Mark

ups.com...

Duane Bozarth May 23rd 05 09:00 PM

wrote:

I have changed others in my house, but not this one, so don't think it
is soldered. No others have been soldered. I think it is just tight
and old. Luckily it is right outsid of my garage, so the lead pipe is
not too difficult to access if there are signs of a leak. I have
drywall there, but it isn't finished.

Isn't there some type of chemical I can use to loosen the tension?

Yeah, it's self-generated as well...persperation. :)

What kind of pipe are we speaking of here? If it's turning, I'm
guessing galvanized? If so, and if you have or can get access, heat
(preferably a real torch, not just a propane torch) is best.

Or, if it isn't some other access problem, just go ahead and take it
apart where it wants to break loose and go from there. It can also just
be simpler to cut it somewhere convenient and then go on rather than
fight the disassembly.

SteveB May 24th 05 12:27 AM

wrote in message
ups.com...
I am trying to change a hose bib on outside of the house. The bib is
stuck and I cannot seem to free it up. When I turn it the pipe it is
connected to turns as well. I tried to hold the main pipe with a
plumber's wrench and pliers, but I cannot grip the pipe very well
because it is smooth and round. Should i use lock-tite or is there some
other chemical I can use to loosen the bib's connection from the pipe?

Got the same problem. My house has stucco. It has a copper feed, coming up
to a nut that holds on the hose bibb. I am first going to try getting
another set of "guts, and just taking that stem and seal out, and hope that
will fix it.

If'n that don't, the nut that holds it on there looks as corroded as one of
those Carlsbad Caverns formations, and I am not looking forward to attacking
it with a wrench. Plus, there is no space to put a backup so I don't twist
off the copper feed.

So, I am going to shut the water off ONE OF THESE DAYS, and take the guts
and see if I can find a match. Will probably have to buy the whole hose
bibb, but if it works, that will be a real deal. If that don't work, I will
just have to crack out the stucco enough to get a backup on there, and if
that don't work, I will have to crack out the stucco more enough to get in
there and cut it and put new copper.

Yikes. It's always something.

Let me know how yours works out so I know what NOT to do.

Steve ;-)

William Brown May 24th 05 04:03 PM

I don't know what a plumber's wrench is; we have pipe wrenches and they
will grip a round smooth pipe.

I would start by applying penetrating oil. Let it soak in for hours,
reapplying a few times. Try inducing vibration to help the oil sink in
(tap the bib with a hammer). If that doesn't work, get a torch and heat
the pipe, not the bib, then let it cool. The idea is that the pipe will
expand with heat, then contract as it cools, which could loosen the
joint. If that doesn't work, heat the bib, but not the pipe. The idea
is that the heated bib will expand, the pipe won't, and that could
loosen the joint. Vibration may also help as you are heating. If that
doesn't work remove the bib and pipe (if the pipe has already turned, it
should be removable easily) and replace. This last might be the best
option, as if the pipe has already turned, you have a potential leak
which could do serious damage before it becomes apparent.