Propane grill hose repair question.

Old May 19th 05, 07:43 AM
Wes Schott

Default Propane grill hose repair question.

I have a Sunbeam outdoor propane grill that I need to replace the hose on,
because it got cut and leaks.

The problem is that the valves and regulator both have the hose clamped onto
them with a brass clamp, not a screw on connection that is widely available.

I am having a very hard time finding someone who even carries LPG hose by
the foot let alone the capability to clamp it onto the valves and regulator.

Any ideas on where I could go to have a new hose put on? I live in San
Marcos, CA near San Diego. I've been to Barbeques Galore, a hydraulics
shop, a propane company, all with no luck.

Or ideas on where I can buy a crimper, clamps, fittings and hose to do it my
self?

Thanks,

Wes

Old May 19th 05, 11:51 AM
0_Qed

Wes Schott wrote:

I have a Sunbeam outdoor propane grill that I need to replace the hose on,
because it got cut and leaks.

....snip...

I's =strongly= suggest you contact the manufaturer of the Grill ,
they'll surely have repair parts .

The hose 'fittings', and tube,
require a special press_fit tool , not widely available to 'John' Q
Public.

Old May 19th 05, 03:45 PM
SteveB

"Wes Schott" wrote in message
I have a Sunbeam outdoor propane grill that I need to replace the hose on,
because it got cut and leaks.

The problem is that the valves and regulator both have the hose clamped
onto them with a brass clamp, not a screw on connection that is widely
available.

I am having a very hard time finding someone who even carries LPG hose by
the foot let alone the capability to clamp it onto the valves and
regulator.

Any ideas on where I could go to have a new hose put on? I live in San
Marcos, CA near San Diego. I've been to Barbeques Galore, a hydraulics
shop, a propane company, all with no luck.

Or ideas on where I can buy a crimper, clamps, fittings and hose to do it
my self?

Thanks,

Wes

Propane suppliers SOMETIMES do hoses.

Steve

Old May 19th 05, 05:33 PM
Charles Spitzer

"SteveB" wrote in message

"Wes Schott" wrote in message
[...]

they don't like to because then they absorb the liability.

Old May 20th 05, 02:00 AM
George E. Cawthon

Wes Schott wrote:
I have a Sunbeam outdoor propane grill that I need to replace the hose on,
because it got cut and leaks.

The problem is that the valves and regulator both have the hose clamped onto
them with a brass clamp, not a screw on connection that is widely available.

I am having a very hard time finding someone who even carries LPG hose by
the foot let alone the capability to clamp it onto the valves and regulator.

Any ideas on where I could go to have a new hose put on? I live in San
Marcos, CA near San Diego. I've been to Barbeques Galore, a hydraulics
shop, a propane company, all with no luck.

Or ideas on where I can buy a crimper, clamps, fittings and hose to do it my
self?

Thanks,

Wes

Your cheapest solution is probably to just replace
the hose/regulator as a unit. Usually a $15-22 item.

People on this ng will scream but if all you have
is a cut, then cut all the way through the hose,
look for brass fittings to attach to hoses
together (essentially a tube with ridges that is
slightly larger than the inside diameter of the
hose) at Lowes or a hardware store, and secure
with small screw clamps.

Realize that the pressure within the hose will be
less that what you produce by blowing in a tube.
Old May 20th 05, 02:40 AM
toller

People on this ng will scream but if all you have is a cut, then cut all
the way through the hose, look for brass fittings to attach to hoses
together (essentially a tube with ridges that is slightly larger than the
inside diameter of the hose) at Lowes or a hardware store, and secure with
small screw clamps.

You got guts to admit that here!
I have done it so I could use old style tanks with a new grill (having found
about 4 full discarded tanks and another 4 for a buck or two at garage
sales) but wouldn't dare be the first to admit it.

Old May 20th 05, 03:06 AM
stretch

Toller, you don't value your life much do you?

Discarded tanks may not pass a hydro test. Refrigerant recovery tanks
must get hydrostatically tested every 5 years to be legal. If those
discarded tanks won't pass the test they are not safe to use. You
might get away with it, but why take the chance? I am not talking
about the law either. I know an A/C contractor who had a tech leave a
refrigerant tank on a roof under a unit so he wouldn't have to lug it
up & down every time he serviced that building. The tank blew, landed
on a car two blocks away. Hefty fine, also had to pay damages, his
company name was on the tank. Lucky no one got hurt or killed!
Propane, like refrigerant, is stored in tank as part gas, part liquid.
If the tank ruptures for any reason, you have a missle and a bomb. Not
worth the chance to me. "Some days you gets the bear, some days the
bear gets you." If you understood the physics involved, or even saw
the results of a failure just once, you would not do it or tell any one
else how to.

Not trying to be an ass, just concerned.

Stretch

Old May 20th 05, 02:37 PM
Edwin Pawlowski

"stretch" wrote in message
oups.com...
Toller, you don't value your life much do you?

Discarded tanks may not pass a hydro test. Refrigerant recovery tanks
must get hydrostatically tested every 5 years to be legal. If those
discarded tanks won't pass the test they are not safe to use. You
might get away with it, but why take the chance? I am not talking
about the law either.

He said they were discarded, not past date for testing.

New tanks have OPD valves and some places will no longer fill them. Some
states have adopted the new regs, some have not. I still use my old tanks
and will as long as legal to do so. IIRC., propane tanks are 10 or 12
years.

Old May 20th 05, 05:31 PM
toller

Not trying to be an ass, just concerned.

If they are stable in the guy's garage and then in the street, they ought to
be stable while I empty them.

Since they can't be refilled, I just don't see the danger. Thanks for your
concern though.

Old May 21st 05, 03:53 AM
Stormin Mormon

Check with appliance repair places. The hose and regulator are probably sold
as an assembly. One of my parts houses used to have gas grill parts.

I doubt you'll be able to recrimp (or replace and clamp) it. It's only about
11 PSI, if memory serves. But, the liability of messing it up, that's the
concern.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus