Matt

Default removing lime stains from a concrete floor

My water softener has leaked hard water very slowly for some years.

That made the floor damp and caused a buildup of lime on the concrete
floor. The lime is probably not more than quarter millimeter thick but
is unsightly.

My impulse is to use Lime Away, but I expect that that would attack the
cement in the floor.

Is there any good way to get rid of these lime stains?

Gideon

This is one of the reasons why people should be very cautious
when taking advise from newsgroups:
1) Phosphoric acid is the principal ingredient in
some versions of Lime Away, which means
that you are suggesting that he use Lime Away
instead of Lime Away.
2) Phosphoric acid is one of the chemicals used for
etching (eating) concrete. Duh.

G Henslee wrote in message ...
Matt wrote:
My water softener has leaked hard water very slowly for some years.

That made the floor damp and caused a buildup of lime on the concrete
floor. The lime is probably not more than quarter millimeter thick but
is unsightly.

My impulse is to use Lime Away, but I expect that that would attack the
cement in the floor.

Is there any good way to get rid of these lime stains?

Phosphoric acid.

G Henslee

Gideon wrote:

G Henslee wrote in message ...
Matt wrote:

My water softener has leaked hard water very slowly for some years.

That made the floor damp and caused a buildup of lime on the concrete
floor. The lime is probably not more than quarter millimeter thick but
is unsightly.

My impulse is to use Lime Away, but I expect that that would attack the
cement in the floor.

Is there any good way to get rid of these lime stains?

Phosphoric acid.

'helpful' top posting corrected

This is one of the reasons why people should be very cautious
when taking advise from newsgroups:
1) Phosphoric acid is the principal ingredient in
some versions of Lime Away, which means
that you are suggesting that he use Lime Away
instead of Lime Away.
2) Phosphoric acid is one of the chemicals used for
etching (eating) concrete. Duh.

Clean it, rinse it. Duh. Phosphoric should be considered before
muriatic for grout or concrete cleaning because it is LESS harmful.
Duh. Get real. Duh. Easiest and safest for the OP to just use the
Lime Away. Duh.
Matt

G Henslee wrote in message ...
Matt wrote:

My water softener has leaked hard water very slowly for some years.

That made the floor damp and caused a buildup of lime on the concrete
floor. The lime is probably not more than quarter millimeter thick but
is unsightly.

My impulse is to use Lime Away, but I expect that that would attack the
cement in the floor.

Is there any good way to get rid of these lime stains?

Phosphoric acid.

I have seen phosphoric eat holes in concrete floors.

Goedjn

On Wed, 18 May 2005 16:03:33 GMT, Matt
wrote:

My water softener has leaked hard water very slowly for some years.

That made the floor damp and caused a buildup of lime on the concrete
floor. The lime is probably not more than quarter millimeter thick but
is unsightly.

My impulse is to use Lime Away, but I expect that that would attack the
cement in the floor.

Is there any good way to get rid of these lime stains?

ANything that attacks the lime stains is going to attack the floor
too... Do it it small increments, or use sandpaper on it and
then paint.

Doug Miller

In article , Matt wrote:
My water softener has leaked hard water very slowly for some years.

That made the floor damp and caused a buildup of lime on the concrete
floor. The lime is probably not more than quarter millimeter thick but
is unsightly.

My impulse is to use Lime Away, but I expect that that would attack the
cement in the floor.

Is there any good way to get rid of these lime stains?

Try scrubbing with white vinegar first. If that doesn't do the trick, I think
I'd give citric acid a try before moving up to anything stronger.

--
Regards,

G Henslee

G Henslee wrote in message ...
Matt wrote:

My water softener has leaked hard water very slowly for some years.

That made the floor damp and caused a buildup of lime on the concrete
floor. The lime is probably not more than quarter millimeter thick but
is unsightly.

My impulse is to use Lime Away, but I expect that that would attack the
cement in the floor.

Is there any good way to get rid of these lime stains?

Phosphoric acid.

I have seen phosphoric eat holes in concrete floors.

Yeah, so? I've seen what it does to human teeth left in a glass of cola
before too. bfd. What do *you* suggest genius?

The OP's not going to get that efflouresence/lime staining cleaned up
off of the concrete without a product that's going to etch, yes ETCH the
concrete *SLIGHTLY*. That's a fact and that's reality. That's not to say
he'll have holes in his slab or pits in it as you and the other dimwit
would have him believe. Phosphoric used properly or in pre-mixed
products such as Lime Away will clean the concrete and not harm it, and
with less potential harm than muriatic or other acid cleaners.

Like the other dimwit you're quick to reply with no advice. Get real. Duh.

-end of subject-

Gideon

Doug,

Your advise is very sound.

Both citric acid and vinegar are good suggests - slower but safer
than other methods. The fundamental problem is the fact that the
acids which will attack calcium or magnesium deposits will generally
also attack the concrete. I'd follow your advise and use something
mild and accelerate its action with a brush, followed by a good rinse.

Of course, a painted floor with good paint-concrete adhesion will greatly
mitigate the danger of concrete etching. Hopefully the OP has a well
painted floor, in which case he has little concern.

Gideon

Doug Miller wrote in message ...
In article , Matt
wrote:
My water softener has leaked hard water very slowly for some years.

That made the floor damp and caused a buildup of lime on the concrete
floor. The lime is probably not more than quarter millimeter thick but
is unsightly.

My impulse is to use Lime Away, but I expect that that would attack the
cement in the floor.

Is there any good way to get rid of these lime stains?

Try scrubbing with white vinegar first. If that doesn't do the trick, I think
I'd give citric acid a try before moving up to anything stronger.

--
Regards,

Matt

G Henslee wrote:

G Henslee wrote in message ...
Matt wrote:

My water softener has leaked hard water very slowly for some years.

That made the floor damp and caused a buildup of lime on the concrete
floor. The lime is probably not more than quarter millimeter thick but
is unsightly.

My impulse is to use Lime Away, but I expect that that would attack the
cement in the floor.

Is there any good way to get rid of these lime stains?

Phosphoric acid.

I have seen phosphoric eat holes in concrete floors.

Yeah, so? I've seen what it does to human teeth left in a glass of cola
before too. bfd. What do *you* suggest genius?

The OP's

I am the OP.

not going to get that efflouresence/lime staining cleaned up
off of the concrete without a product that's going to etch, yes ETCH the
concrete *SLIGHTLY*. That's a fact and that's reality. That's not to say
he'll have holes in his slab or pits in it as you and the other dimwit
would have him believe. Phosphoric used properly or in pre-mixed
products such as Lime Away will clean the concrete and not harm it, and
with less potential harm than muriatic or other acid cleaners.

Like the other dimwit you're quick to reply with no advice. Get real. Duh.

The thread probably would have been improved had your first reply been a
complete sentence.

-end of subject-

Matt

Gideon wrote:

Of course, a painted floor with good paint-concrete adhesion will greatly
mitigate the danger of concrete etching. Hopefully the OP has a well
painted floor, in which case he has little concern.

Unfortunately, the floor is unpainted.
James \Cubby\ Culbertson

you might try a high alkaline solution. this seems to work on cleaning
grout fairly well without
damaging the grout. Check for an aquamix product called heavy duty tile
cleaner/stripper I think is
the name. It clearly states, "High Alkaline" solution on the back. As
always, test in an inconspicuous
area if possible.
Cheers,
cc

"Matt" wrote in message
news
My water softener has leaked hard water very slowly for some years.

That made the floor damp and caused a buildup of lime on the concrete
floor. The lime is probably not more than quarter millimeter thick but is
unsightly.

My impulse is to use Lime Away, but I expect that that would attack the
cement in the floor.

Is there any good way to get rid of these lime stains?

Doug Miller

In article , "James \"Cubby\" Culbertson" wrote:
you might try a high alkaline solution.

Lime is itself alkaline, so this will be no more effective than water.

--
Regards,

Bob G.

..

Yeah, so? I've seen what it does to human teeth left in a glass of cola
before too. bfd. What do *you* suggest genius?

========== Yes and that Coke Cola will eat completely thru a cars
fender given enough time...Most chemicals have traids that are very
useful ..the trick is in knowing how to use them... Coke Cola does
taste good...luck for our stomachs that the human body can neutralize
it ....(in most cases)...

-end of subject-

========== I agree

Bob Griffiths

Posted to alt.home.repair

This is what this site is for rite? To ask questions because some people don't know. People that think that they are better than keep your 2 cents. DUH......B.S.

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...or-653637-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Itsjusta Question" wrote in
message roupdirect.com...

This is what this site is for rite? To ask questions because some people
don't know.

But there isnt a lot of point in answering a question 15 years late.

People that think that they are better than keep your 2 cents.
DUH......B.S.

--
For full context, visit
https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...or-653637-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 11 Feb 2021 09:08:25 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

But there isnt a lot of point in answering a question 15 years late.

Just what kind of a useless senile idiot are you, senile cretin?

--
Keema Nam addressing nym-shifting senile Rodent:
"You are now exposed as a liar, as well as an ignorant troll."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/10/2021 5:01 PM, Itsjusta Question wrote:
This is what this site is for rite? To ask questions because some people
don't know. People that think that they are better than keep your 2
cents. DUH......B.S.

No, we have no rites. But you have your right to have rites.