Furnace cycling too often? Oversized perhaps?

Old May 18th 05, 03:29 PM
[email protected]

Default Furnace cycling too often? Oversized perhaps?

How often should a gas furnace cycle on and off for those living in
colder climates (Canada)? I have noticed that during winter, when
maintaining the temperature of the house steady, my furnace tends to
turn on every 5-10 minutes, staying on for about 10 minutes each time.
I find this to be a little to frequent. I have the specs from the
previous owner, and the furnace is 13 years old, 72,000 BTU (82%
efficiency) in a 1200 sq foot 2 story home. I am thinking about
getting it replaced as it had 3 separate problems this year with
components breaking down (hot surface igniter, blower, flame sensor,
etc.) and am wondering if perhaps it is oversized (i.e the frequent
cycling) and I should get a smaller model?

How long do gas furnaces typically last anyways? I have read on the
Internet that gas furnaces can last 20-25 years, but I'm wondering if
perhaps that is reflective for warmer climates where furnaces aren't
used as much. Over here the furnace is probably on from early October
until mid-May.

Old May 18th 05, 04:24 PM
Joseph Meehan

How often should a gas furnace cycle on and off for those living in
colder climates (Canada)? I have noticed that during winter, when
maintaining the temperature of the house steady, my furnace tends to
turn on every 5-10 minutes, staying on for about 10 minutes each time.
I find this to be a little to frequent.

Why do you find that too frequent? Most thermostats have an adjustable
anticipator and if that is improperly adjusted it can cause fast cycling as
can a poor location of the thermostat.

I have the specs from the
previous owner, and the furnace is 13 years old, 72,000 BTU (82%
efficiency) in a 1200 sq foot 2 story home. I am thinking about
getting it replaced as it had 3 separate problems this year with
components breaking down (hot surface igniter, blower, flame sensor,
etc.) and am wondering if perhaps it is oversized (i.e the frequent
cycling) and I should get a smaller model?

I would say you are iffy age for replacement. I would likely replace it
myself in order to take the opportunity for a higher efficiency model. I
would not do it because of the cycle issue. I likely would use the
opportunity to work out a deal from my tech so it can be replaced at his
convenience and that might make it a little cheaper.

I would let the tech do a proper study of your home to determine the
correct size for the unit. This can only be done by measuring and computing
a number of factors. I know on my home when the time comes (likely
sometime in the next ten years) I will have the duct work re-done and maybe
add a two zone system.

From the information you provided there is no way anyone can answer your
size question unless they are just guessing.

How long do gas furnaces typically last anyways? I have read on the
Internet that gas furnaces can last 20-25 years, but I'm wondering if
perhaps that is reflective for warmer climates where furnaces aren't
used as much. Over here the furnace is probably on from early October
until mid-May.

Properly sized the local weather does not matter related to the useful
life.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Old May 18th 05, 04:55 PM
pjm@see_my_sig_for_address.com

On Wed, 18 May 2005 14:53:19 GMT, Tony Hwang wrote:

wrote:
[...]

Hi,
It all depends how well your house is insulated.

Wrong. Seeing as you don't know what you're talking about,
STFU.

I have 2700 sq. ft. 2 storey house with 100,000 btu mid-efficiency
furnace. it cycles about every 20 minutes in coldest days in winter.
Those are normal wear and tear items you replaced. The blower some times
needs oiling for the shaft bearing. I think your furnace has
few more years left.

How in the hell do you pretend to know ANYTHING about it ?
Ever seen it ? Ever serviced it ? EVER EVEN BEEN IN THE SAME ****ING
BUILDING WITH IT ???

No ???? Then STFU.

I always keep HSI as a spare.
Tony
Calgary

Click every day here to feed an animal that needs you today !!!

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

HVAC/R program for Palm PDA's
Free demo now available online http://pmilligan.net/palm/
Free Temperature / Pressure charts for 38 Ref's http://pmilligan.net/pmtherm/
Old May 18th 05, 04:57 PM
pjm@see_my_sig_for_address.com

On Wed, 18 May 2005 15:24:01 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:

I would say you are iffy age for replacement. I would likely replace it
myself in order to take the opportunity for a higher efficiency model. I
would not do it because of the cycle issue. I likely would use the
opportunity to work out a deal from my tech so it can be replaced at his
convenience and that might make it a little cheaper.

I would let the tech do a proper study of your home to determine the
correct size for the unit. This can only be done by measuring and computing
a number of factors. I know on my home when the time comes (likely
sometime in the next ten years) I will have the duct work re-done and maybe
add a two zone system.

From the information you provided there is no way anyone can answer your
size question unless they are just guessing.

Properly sized the local weather does not matter related to the useful
life.

Good, correct, and reasonable answers, all.

Old May 18th 05, 06:12 PM
TURTLE

wrote:

I would say you are iffy age for replacement. I would likely replace it
myself in order to take the opportunity for a higher efficiency model. I
would not do it because of the cycle issue. I likely would use the
opportunity to work out a deal from my tech so it can be replaced at his
convenience and that might make it a little cheaper.

I would let the tech do a proper study of your home to determine the
correct size for the unit. This can only be done by measuring and computing
a number of factors. I know on my home when the time comes (likely
sometime in the next ten years) I will have the duct work re-done and maybe
add a two zone system.

From the information you provided there is no way anyone can answer your
size question unless they are just guessing.

Properly sized the local weather does not matter related to the useful
life.

Good, correct, and reasonable answers, all.

Paul

This is Turtle.

I can see where this would be to your liking as to the answer. It say in a
nutshell.

Change it out with cheaper stuff but get a good deal by bargaining with the
local Tech and not the company.

Re do all the duct work.

Also Buy Pauls software to do the job with and not weather .

This is interesting reply by you Paul for the Tony fellow was wrong with his
answer by you saying that he had no ideal of what he was talking about because
Tony had not seen it and was stupid for tring to give a answer. Someone else
gives a answer and he has all the info in the say reply to give a correct answer
and the then the OP had give all info needed.

So I see if you like the replier, he makes a good one. then if you don't like
the replier, he makes a bad one. I can see where your coming from.

TURTLE

TURTLE

Old May 18th 05, 06:44 PM
[email protected]

If the heat exchanger in there is ok, then its got some life yet.

If you dont like how often it cycles, lots of new thermostats can
limit how many times an hour that it'll run. The less times it
cycles the more you may feel a temperature rise and drop.

There are SOOOOO many factors that can lose heat in your
home. Check for air leaks, crappy windows and insulation.

Old May 18th 05, 07:33 PM
bill

"TURTLE" wrote:
snipped weasels bull****

So I see if you like the replier, he makes a good one. then if you don't like
the replier, he makes a bad one. I can see where your coming from.

TURTLE

No, you can't grasp what was said so you reduce it to a personality
thing that you can understand.
Unfortunately you don't get any of that either.
Try not to think much weasel. That's when you do your best work.

--

Training costs money. Ask the last person you worked for. -me
Old May 18th 05, 07:40 PM
pjm@see_my_sig_for_address.com

On Wed, 18 May 2005 14:33:13 -0400, bill wrote:

In article ,
"TURTLE" wrote:
snipped weasels bull****

So I see if you like the replier, he makes a good one. then if you don't like
the replier, he makes a bad one. I can see where your coming from.

TURTLE

No, you can't grasp what was said so you reduce it to a personality
thing that you can understand.
Unfortunately you don't get any of that either.
Try not to think much weasel. That's when you do your best work.

His **ONLY** work. In fact, his only waking moments .... not
to be confused with COGENT moments, which he never has at all.

It's funny - the boy climbs a ladder, can't figure out how to
stay up there so he falls on his head, and you can't even tell the
difference ......

Furnace cycling HvacTech2 Home Repair 42 March 15th 05 04:44 AM
Rapid cycling gas furnace Dan Hall Home Repair 4 December 3rd 04 04:42 PM
Help. Furnace improperly installed? Chuck Home Repair 11 November 2nd 04 02:26 AM
Clueless Inspector Faults Furnace Install Hell Toupee Home Repair 3 October 8th 04 06:47 PM
Furnace problems - repair, replace or ???? Paul Home Repair 11 March 24th 04 12:59 AM