northcountry

Default Installing pellet stove into existing prefab wood stove chimney

I have a woodstove installation in my lower level with a double-walled
stainless steel modular chimney up the side of the house (legal and
safe).
After an addition is constructed, the existing chimney will be boxed in
(legal and safe). My plan is to replace the woodstove with a pellet
stove in that same spot. Due to constraints, I can't vent it right out
the back wall, so it seems that the best choice is up through the
existing chimney.
My question - can I simply connect the pipe from the pelletstove to the
chimney and leave it at that? The installation will have the
appropriate clearances, so my main concern is the feasibility and
workability of venting a pellet stove into a 6' ID prefab chimney pipe.

Len Shure

You will have to look around to find the adapters. Lowes doesn't have
much. Is your pellet stove 3 or 4 inch? You might try a stove shop
but be prepared to be sold something. I finally got and adapter from
the company that sold me the stove over the internet. The whole
situation was quite tring and I had to make at least trips.

northcountry wrote:
I have a woodstove installation in my lower level with a double-walled
stainless steel modular chimney up the side of the house (legal and
safe).
After an addition is constructed, the existing chimney will be boxed in
(legal and safe). My plan is to replace the woodstove with a pellet
stove in that same spot. Due to constraints, I can't vent it right out
the back wall, so it seems that the best choice is up through the
existing chimney.
My question - can I simply connect the pipe from the pelletstove to the
chimney and leave it at that? The installation will have the
appropriate clearances, so my main concern is the feasibility and
workability of venting a pellet stove into a 6' ID prefab chimney pipe.

northcountry

I'm just wondering if using my existing chimney amounts to an
"approved" installation method. If it does, then someone must make the
necessary adapters/hardware to do the job.
I don't have the stove yet, but if requires 3" pipe for the enire
length, then it seems I could slide right up through the existing
chimney. 4" may even fit, but I'd have to check.
My chimney is @ 20 ft tall.

Thanks for the reply