Default Gas Range Near Window

My architect says I can locate a gas range top - 4 high capacity
burners plus a high capacity charcoal grill (Wolf Range Top) - on a
portion of my base cabinets directly in front of a window. I asked him
if this met code, and he said yes. Then I asked about grees, he said
you can clean it just like you would clean the tile towards the back of
the range top.

I will be using a 1000 CFM hood.

I can also bump out the base cabinet that has the range top from 25.5"
to, say, 30 inches.

Does anybody feel this would not be a good thing to do, or does it NOT
meet code?

Thanks to all.

Fran

Charles Spitzer

wrote in message
oups.com...
My architect says I can locate a gas range top - 4 high capacity
burners plus a high capacity charcoal grill (Wolf Range Top) - on a
portion of my base cabinets directly in front of a window. I asked him
if this met code, and he said yes. Then I asked about grees, he said
you can clean it just like you would clean the tile towards the back of
the range top.

I will be using a 1000 CFM hood.

I can also bump out the base cabinet that has the range top from 25.5"
to, say, 30 inches.

Does anybody feel this would not be a good thing to do, or does it NOT
meet code?

Thanks to all.

Fran

it's going to be hard to keep the window clean, especially if it's further
away.

there's a reason most stove backsplashes are easy to clean walls, frequently
tiled.

Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
oups.com...
My architect says I can locate a gas range top - 4 high capacity
burners plus a high capacity charcoal grill (Wolf Range Top) - on a
portion of my base cabinets directly in front of a window.

I'd be concerned about the wind blowing the flame, cleaning the glass,
opening the windows while the burners are on. Sounds like a poor idea to
me.

The cleaning is a problem to be solved.
There is no code requirement about windows and cooking.
Would you consider a piece of laminated glass covering the window and
trim.
It could act as a back splah without loosing light.
TB

Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message ...
The cleaning is a problem to be solved.
There is no code requirement about windows and cooking.
Would you consider a piece of laminated glass covering the window and
trim.
It could act as a back splah without loosing light.
TB

Yes, speaking of code issues, the standard wood window frame may not
qualify. The glass covering may be OK, but in any case, I'd want to check
further.

Goedjn

My architect says I can locate a gas range top - 4 high capacity
burners plus a high capacity charcoal grill (Wolf Range Top) - on a
portion of my base cabinets directly in front of a window.

I'd be concerned about the wind blowing the flame, cleaning the glass,
opening the windows while the burners are on. Sounds like a poor idea to
me.

In my area, the housing inspector won't let you do that because
he thinks you're going to install curtains after he's gone,
and then set them on fire.

--Goedjn

Sunflower

wrote in message
oups.com...
My architect says I can locate a gas range top - 4 high capacity
burners plus a high capacity charcoal grill (Wolf Range Top) - on a
portion of my base cabinets directly in front of a window. I asked him
if this met code, and he said yes. Then I asked about grees, he said
you can clean it just like you would clean the tile towards the back of
the range top.

I will be using a 1000 CFM hood.

I can also bump out the base cabinet that has the range top from 25.5"
to, say, 30 inches.

Does anybody feel this would not be a good thing to do, or does it NOT
meet code?

Thanks to all.

Fran

A window is a point of egress during a fire and allowing the potential
source of that fire to interfere with egress is stupid first, and mostly
illegal second. Is *is* against most codes in most jurisdictions. The only
places that would allow it are ones with practically no codes at all or ones
that haven't yet had fires from this and had to address the specific issue.
A stove with that many K burners isn't the safest thing to be dealin with in
the first place. And with a 1000CFM fan, you're talking needing makeup air
in order to run it. The simplest source of makeup air is to crack a window.
Can't do that here. Even if you had a separate duct supplying makeup air,
this is still a BAD BAD BAD idea.

The cleaning issue is mostly secondary to the safety issue, but it's not
one I'd discount either.

Was out of town...Thanks to all for your inputs. Decided not to put
range near window. Again, thanks!

Fran