Default Fridge Iced Up; Replaced Timer; Now What?

The refrigerator is a Whirlpool Gold about 4 years old, with freezer
below and regular section above. It iced up in the freezer section
and the other section quit cooling. Whirlpool serviceman came and
checked components and said it was the heater timer which cycles every
8 hours, but he didn't have one. I asked him how hard it would be for
me to put it in so that we could save another $150 service charge and
he showed me how easy it was. So we ordered the part, made in Mexico
(cost about $60), and it came a week later. In the meantime we got the
fridge working so the non-freezer section stayed around 40. I had
turned it off to allow the coils and fins to thaw.

This morning, as the temp rose to 50 in the regular cooling section
because the freezer was iced up again, I replaced the timer -- an easy
job but you must have nimble fingers to get the screws back in.

Question: How long before the fridge gets back to normal? It's iced
up now and so how long will it take for the heater to start removing
the ice from the coils. I turned the timer's red knob until I heard
it click before installing it, so I'm guessing that THAT means the
heating cycle started as soon as I plugged the fridge back up. Should
I have waited with the fridge unplugged until the ice melted, or will
the poor little thing stabilize itself and start doing its duty as a
frostfree refrigerator, with both compartments at their proper
temperature? It's been two hours, and the fridge is running, but I
don't see the temperature dropping in the non-freezer section. It's
still on 50.

Thanks in advance and you have some good and very helpful reading in
this newsgroup. I'm sure there is some helpful soul here who can
advise what to do.

Tony Hwang

[...]

Hi,
Is the fan working? The one circulating cold air inside the box.
Or intermittent timer? Since you got a replacement, I'd just replace it
and make sure the fan is working OK.
Tony
Joseph Meehan

Tony Hwang wrote:
wrote:
[...]

I hate to think of it, but I wonder if the heater could be bad? I might
add that while I doubt of the tech would have missed it, a low Freon charge
can mimic some of what you are seeing.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Appliance Repair Aid

[...]

Model#?
http://www.applianceaid.com/model.html
Some model# helps.

It iced up in the freezer section
and the other section quit cooling.

Clear ice like an ice cube or white frost like snow?

we could save another $150 service charge

I -have- to raise my rates

Question: How long before the fridge gets back to normal?

Did you defrost the refrigerator?
If no, possible days. If yes, 4-6 hours.

Something that may help...
http://www.applianceaid.com/defrost_cycle.html

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

Thanks for the replies. To answer both of you the fan is running and
the Whirlpool serviceman checked the heater and said that from his test
equipment it functions properly. His test equipment showed that the
timer is defective, so that is what I replaced. If the compressor is
weak, or low on freon, I'll have him come back.

I tore into the old timer -- it is an el cheapo motor-driven electric
clock with contact points which obviously switch the heater on.

I'll give it a while to see what it does. Cooling compartment
temperature was 40 yesterday, 50 today, and still 50, 5 hours after I
plugged in the new timer.

TURTLE

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

this is Turtle.

Here is where this job went Hay Wire. You should clear all the ice off the coil
before tring out a new defrost heater or timer. Now only about 50% of
refrigerators will be able to burn the extra ice off the coil in normal use
because of the thickiness of it.

TURTLE

TURTLE

"Appliance Repair Aid" wrote in message
ups.com...

wrote:
[...]

This is Turtle.

With that kind of money for refrigerator service calls , I need to rething about
going back to refrigerators. These 20 ton Roof top units don't seem good now
with this kind of money for a refrigerator call.

TURTLE

Question: How long before the fridge gets back to normal?

Did you defrost the refrigerator?
If no, possible days. If yes, 4-6 hours.

Something that may help...
http://www.applianceaid.com/defrost_cycle.html

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

Stormin Mormon

You're telling me! I don't do any where near that!

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Appliance Repair Aid" wrote in message
ups.com...

we could save another $150 service charge

I -have- to raise my rates

Stormin Mormon

The refrigerator is a Whirlpool Gold about 4 years old, with freezer
below and regular section above. It iced up in the freezer section
and the other section quit cooling.
CY: Air flow blocked with ice.

Whirlpool serviceman came and
checked components and said it was the heater timer which cycles every
8 hours, but he didn't have one. I asked him how hard it would be for
me to put it in so that we could save another $150 service charge
CY: Wow, hundred and a half for a house call? I've got to raise my rates.

and
he showed me how easy it was. So we ordered the part, made in Mexico
(cost about $60), and it came a week later.
CY: Sixty? That's more than I get.

In the meantime we got the
fridge working so the non-freezer section stayed around 40. I had
turned it off to allow the coils and fins to thaw.
CY: Hope over night, wtih a fan blowing into the freezer section. They can
really get thick with ice. I'm guessing you didn't get it all.

This morning, as the temp rose to 50 in the regular cooling section
because the freezer was iced up again, I replaced the timer -- an easy
job but you must have nimble fingers to get the screws back in.

Question: How long before the fridge gets back to normal? It's iced
up now and so how long will it take for the heater to start removing
the ice from the coils.
CY: The heater only runs 25 or so minutes every cycle, so it isn't likely to
get caught up with a solid block of ice. You'll have to leave it open (and
unplugged, and a fan blowing into the freezer) probably over night.

I turned the timer's red knob until I heard
it click before installing it, so I'm guessing that THAT means the
heating cycle started as soon as I plugged the fridge back up.
CY: There are a couple different clicks.

Should
I have waited with the fridge unplugged until the ice melted,
CY: Yes.

or will
the poor little thing stabilize itself and start doing its duty as a
frostfree refrigerator, with both compartments at their proper
temperature?
CY: Probably not.

It's been two hours, and the fridge is running, but I
don't see the temperature dropping in the non-freezer section. It's
still on 50.

Thanks in advance and you have some good and very helpful reading in
this newsgroup. I'm sure there is some helpful soul here who can
advise what to do.
CY: total, thorough defrost of the freezer.

Stormin Mormon

Might be a bad heater, or termination thermostat.

Low freon typically doesn't ice over, for refrig. sometimes central AC, but
not usually refrig.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message

I hate to think of it, but I wonder if the heater could be bad? I might
add that while I doubt of the tech would have missed it, a low Freon charge
can mimic some of what you are seeing.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Joseph Meehan

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Might be a bad heater, or termination thermostat.

Low freon typically doesn't ice over, for refrig. sometimes central
AC, but not usually refrig.

You are probably right. I did have it happen once. Lucky I was within
the last month on the warrantee on the system. That was maybe 25 years ago.
:-)

--

I hate to think of it, but I wonder if the heater could be bad? I
might add that while I doubt of the tech would have missed it, a low
Freon charge can mimic some of what you are seeing.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Thanks to Stormin Mormon for the definitive answer. This morning
after running the fan and melting the ice off the coils, the
temperature is about 36 deg. F in the cooling section.

Thanks to Tony, Joseph, Appliance Repair Aid, Don H, and Turtle. We
would have been in a pickle if we hadn't gotten all this great advice.

Stormin Mormon

What is your mailing adress, for the bill? $48.50 online consultation.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks to Stormin Mormon for the definitive answer. This morning
after running the fan and melting the ice off the coils, the
temperature is about 36 deg. F in the cooling section.

Thanks to Tony, Joseph, Appliance Repair Aid, Don H, and Turtle. We
would have been in a pickle if we hadn't gotten all this great advice.

i agree that you must let the ice totally melt and drain for it to start
working again, the defrost cycle isnt long enough to melt a block of
ice..also,you may want to blow out the drain line with some mild
compressed air. if its got coils underneath be sure to clean them off
too. lucas

Whirlpool Fridge Timer is Noisy Claire Home Repair 1 March 19th 05 01:43 PM
Intermatic timer question barry martin Home Repair 0 June 25th 04 06:27 PM
Integrated fridge John UK diy 3 April 29th 04 12:08 PM
Fridge freezer annoyance Craig Graham UK diy 2 March 23rd 04 10:12 PM
CH timer workaround - is it safe? anon UK diy 8 December 6th 03 12:18 PM