How long should I wait for tiles to cure?

Old May 10th 05, 04:16 AM
miamicuse

Default How long should I wait for tiles to cure?

I would like to tile my utility room where I keep a lot of junk, storage and
heavy racks. I will need to move all my stuff to one side of the room, tile
the other side, grout it, wait for it to cure, then move everything (racks,
boxes and other things) to that side, then tile the other side.

How long do I need to wait after I tiled one side before I can move heavy
things on top of the new tiles so I can do the other side?

A week? 10 days? A month or even longer?

MC

Old May 10th 05, 04:41 AM
DanG

Once the tile is grouted, it should cure for 72 hours. Most
manufacturers suggest letting the tile set 24 or more hours before
grouting, follow their directions. I would highly recommend this
site:
http://www.thetiledoctor.com/

(top posted for your convenience)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

Old May 10th 05, 05:06 AM
p-nut

miamicuse wrote:
I would like to tile my utility room where I keep a lot of junk,
storage and heavy racks. I will need to move all my stuff to one
side of the room, tile the other side, grout it, wait for it to cure,
then move everything (racks, boxes and other things) to that side,
then tile the other side.

How long do I need to wait after I tiled one side before I can move
heavy things on top of the new tiles so I can do the other side?

A week? 10 days? A month or even longer?

MC

I just had my kitchen and dining room tiled two weeks ago by my buddy that
owns a Floor Covering business.
Once they laid the concrete board and tile we couldn't walk on it until the
next day (24hrs).
They grouted the next day and moved the frig and stove back in the same day
and then another 24hrs before we could walk on it.
The next day I sealed the grout with an aerosol sealer which takes about
3hrs to dry.

Everything is solid as a rock.
I'd say, 24hrs after tile laid to walk on, another 24hrs after grout and
3hrs after grout sealer.

Old May 10th 05, 05:17 AM
G Henslee

p-nut wrote:
miamicuse wrote:

How long do I need to wait after I tiled one side before I can move
heavy things on top of the new tiles so I can do the other side?

A week? 10 days? A month or even longer?

I'd say, 24hrs after tile laid to walk on, another 24hrs after grout and
3hrs after grout sealer.

That's pretty much it.
Old May 10th 05, 03:26 PM
HerHusband

MC,

I would like to tile my utility room where I keep a lot of junk,
storage and heavy racks. I will need to move all my stuff to one side
of the room, tile the other side, grout it, wait for it to cure, then
move everything (racks, boxes and other things) to that side, then
tile the other side.
How long do I need to wait after I tiled one side before I can move
heavy things on top of the new tiles so I can do the other side?

The thinset you use under the tile should be set within 24 hours. It would
be strong enough to walk on and set lighter objects on, but I wouldn't want
to try dragging a fridge or heavy racks across the newly laid tile for AT
LEAST 72 hours. (Like concrete, thinset gets harder as it cures). I'd give
it more time if I could.

The grout should also cure at least 24 hours before you walk on it.

I think most tile/grout sealers recommend the grout cure at least 72 hours
before applying the sealer. Check the label to see what the manufacturer
recommends.

As for moving things from side to side and trying to work around them, I've
tried that before when doing drywall work. I wouldn't recommend it. If at
all possible, move the stuff to another room or out to a garage. You'll
appreciate not having to work around everything.

Anthony
Old May 11th 05, 11:10 AM
G Henslee

HerHusband wrote:

The thinset you use under the tile should be set within 24 hours. It would
be strong enough to walk on and set lighter objects on, but I wouldn't want
to try dragging a fridge or heavy racks across the newly laid tile for AT
LEAST 72 hours. (Like concrete, thinset gets harder as it cures). I'd give
it more time if I could.

The grout should also cure at least 24 hours before you walk on it.

"Dragging" anything heavy over tile isn't an option. if the frig or
other object can't be rolled then one should use an appliance dolly,
hand truck, etc.

If time allows it's best to give the floor a couple of days before
moving heavy objects, but if time or schedule constraints demand less
time be given, 1/4" plywood on top of the new floor will suffice for
moving heavy objects over it.

Best Wood Prices on Long Island! Kevin Morgan Woodworking 2 July 27th 04 05:42 PM
Silent thermostat Dave Gibson UK diy 13 January 5th 04 12:02 PM
Long post about boilers and stuff - with too many questions....! Simon Hawthorne UK diy 11 January 4th 04 10:06 AM
Combi boiler - long wait to get hot water ChrisJ UK diy 26 November 23rd 03 01:30 PM