ADD

Default Vinyl siding to replace wood siding.

Hello:

My house has wood siding which has been there for at least 30 years.
Needs some replacement of the shakes and a paint job. Would cost 5000.
Vinyl siding, the one that looks like horizontal blinds is damned
ugly. THe wood I have looks nice, but I would have to constantly
maintain and repaint.

Vinyl siding is more energy efficient and would lower the insurance
costs. Also just have to hose it down.

My question is whether there is vinyl siding that looks like wood? I
went to the Garden State Brickface WIndows and Siding website and they
state they have vinyl siding that looks like split cedar shakes. I
think that is what I am looking for, althought nothing on my wood
looks split. Anyway, they don't have photos of their proprietary wood
looking vinyl siding. Any reliable companies in the suthern nY,
northern NJ area that install vinyl siding that looks like wood?

The estimate I received for the owenscorning type vinyl siding that
looks like blinds, was around 13,000. That was over a year ago, and at
the time I did't ask if they had anything that was vinyl siding, but
looked like wood.

Thanks
Edwin Pawlowski

"ADD" wrote in message

My question is whether there is vinyl siding that looks like wood? I
went to the Garden State Brickface WIndows and Siding website and they
state they have vinyl siding that looks like split cedar shakes. I

You can do some basic reaserch about proudcts on the internet, but you
really hoave to geet off your ass and go to a store or dealer to see what it
is going to look like. The vinyl today looks much better than years ago.

. Any reliable companies in the suthern nY,
northern NJ area that install vinyl siding that looks like wood?

I'm sure of it

Thanks

You're welcome. Glad I could help.

I dont think the vinyl will EVER look just like wood.

What they DO have (or seen) is a siding that look sort of like
shakes. Its more expensive than the regular stuff but
so normally people just put it on the face of the house and
the sides and back have the regular stuff.

If you are really worried about price, do it yourself.
I resided the front of my house myself. Aside from time
it only cost me about 350.00 in materials. (4 squares plus trim
for windows and starter strips)

Tom

What appears popular now is doing stone/brick in front and siding the
other three sides (assuming house is square/rectangle).

Not too many people like the appearance of siding (reguardless of what
quality you get). But you get it because you don't have to paint every
4 years. However, it seems lighter color vinal is a better appearances
(nothing will ever look like wood- in reguards to texture).

May want to post your location, you may be able to get referals for a
lower price

c_kubie

ADD wrote:

[...]

There are many companies installing the siding but only a few make it.
Google will help. When you think you have something that you like get the
possible installers to show you a house or two. Also get several bids and
references.

With the population of north NJ there will be plenty of installers.

LB (from North Jersey)

twfsa

Vinyl breaks with hail, if you go vinyl pick a color that won't be too hard
to match if panels are replaced, or better yet theres a concrete composition
siding thats does not break when there is a hail storm and it holds paint
nothing like wood, it would not hurt to check into it.

Tom

"ADD" wrote in message
[...]

Concrete fiber board??? Uggg, every try to cut those?? What a Pain in
the *SS

Tom