blueman

Default Replacing skelaton key mortise mechanism with a turn knob

The doors on our bathrooms have nice mortise locks with holes for
"skelaton keys". Of course, the keys are long gone

Since this is a bathroom, I would like to replace the key access with
a knob on the inside (and perhaps just an allen key hole on the outside
for access in emergencies). i.e. I would like to use the original
mortise box but now have it activated by turning a knob rather than
inserting a skelaton key.

Is it DIY practical to convert a skelaton key mechanism to a turn knob?
If so, where can one find the knob.

Thanks,
Jeff
borgunit

I wouldn't mess with converting it. If it is nice, sell it on ebay and
get to newer one that just looks like an older one. I have seen a few
at nicer fixture places.

Goedjn

The doors on our bathrooms have nice mortise locks with holes for
"skelaton keys". Of course, the keys are long gone

Since this is a bathroom, I would like to replace the key access with
a knob on the inside (and perhaps just an allen key hole on the outside
for access in emergencies). i.e. I would like to use the original
mortise box but now have it activated by turning a knob rather than
inserting a skelaton key.

Is it DIY practical to convert a skelaton key mechanism to a turn knob?
If so, where can one find the knob.

Go to a hardware store, and buy a matching skeleton key.
Stick a big glob of 2-part epoxy on the end of it,
shape to suit, and paint. Leave the "nob" in the
lock.

Colbyt

"blueman" wrote in message
The doors on our bathrooms have nice mortise locks with holes for
"skelaton keys". Of course, the keys are long gone

Since this is a bathroom, I would like to replace the key access with
a knob on the inside (and perhaps just an allen key hole on the outside
for access in emergencies). i.e. I would like to use the original
mortise box but now have it activated by turning a knob rather than
inserting a skelaton key.

Is it DIY practical to convert a skelaton key mechanism to a turn knob?
If so, where can one find the knob.

Thanks,
Jeff

You can buy a key to fit the lock at any real locksmiths. Just take it out
and take it with you to ease the selection process.

If you don't lock it, it should function as a normal passage lock. Does
yours not have a knob at the current time? Does it have a place for a knob?

In the back of my mind I seen to recall and old style mortise privacy lock
but I can't recall it at this time. I will post again if I think of it
later.

Colbyt

Heathcliff

My bathroom lock has what you describe. It has a mortise lock with a
deadbolt that is operated by a sort of turnbuckle thingie on the
inside. Otherwise it is similar to the bedroom door locks, which take
a skeleton key.

That being said, in the OP's place I would do as you suggest and just
get a skeleton key to fit, and leave it in the door on the inside. My
recollection, though, is that if the deadbolt is locked from the inside
and the key is still in there, you can't open the lock from the outside
even if you have another key, since the inside key blocks the hole.

Stormin Mormon

You'd need a modernization kit or mag plate. some home owners can do this,
but it may be "call a locksmith" time.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"blueman" wrote in message
The doors on our bathrooms have nice mortise locks with holes for
"skelaton keys". Of course, the keys are long gone

Since this is a bathroom, I would like to replace the key access with
a knob on the inside (and perhaps just an allen key hole on the outside
for access in emergencies). i.e. I would like to use the original
mortise box but now have it activated by turning a knob rather than
inserting a skelaton key.

Is it DIY practical to convert a skelaton key mechanism to a turn knob?
If so, where can one find the knob.

Thanks,
Jeff

blueman

"Heathcliff" writes:
My bathroom lock has what you describe. It has a mortise lock with a
deadbolt that is operated by a sort of turnbuckle thingie on the
inside. Otherwise it is similar to the bedroom door locks, which take
a skeleton key.

Yes, I was hoping that you could replace the skelaton form with a
rectangular sleeve that would catch a standard rectangular knob shaft
on the inside and at the same time allow one to use a screwdriver or
other such tool to open the lock from the outside in an emergency.

That being said, in the OP's place I would do as you suggest and just
get a skeleton key to fit, and leave it in the door on the inside. My
recollection, though, is that if the deadbolt is locked from the inside
and the key is still in there, you can't open the lock from the outside
even if you have another key, since the inside key blocks the hole.

Stormin Mormon

Try it without the words skelton key.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...ductId=1294662
kwik mod kit