Mounting Central AC unit on side of home

Old May 8th 05, 11:04 PM
p-nut

Default Mounting Central AC unit on side of home

I'm wanting to move my Lennox AC unit from the concrete pad it's on to the
side of my house.
My cousin is a heating/cooling guy and said that a lot of people are
mounting a metal frame to the concrete/brick now and sitting the unit on it.
I've tried tons of google searches and have come up with nothing as far as
pictures go how-to's.
If I had some pictures to go by I could design the frame and weld it up
pretty quick but haven't had much luck.

Thanks to anyone that can point me in the right direction.

Old May 8th 05, 11:16 PM
[email protected]

Similar arrangement is used in my area because of flood plain.
Check for vibration transfer to house structure.
TB

Old May 9th 05, 01:19 AM
Dennis Turner

On 5/8/2005 5:04 PM or thereabouts, p-nut appears, somewhat
unbelievably, to have opined:

I'm wanting to move my Lennox AC unit from the concrete pad it's on to the
side of my house.
My cousin is a heating/cooling guy and said that a lot of people are
mounting a metal frame to the concrete/brick now and sitting the unit on it.
I've tried tons of google searches and have come up with nothing as far as
pictures go how-to's.
If I had some pictures to go by I could design the frame and weld it up
pretty quick but haven't had much luck.

Thanks to anyone that can point me in the right direction.

In my area most new installations are using a compsoite plastic pad
rather than concrete.

--
I don't have a clue what I'm talking about.
Old May 9th 05, 01:21 AM
Joseph Meehan

p-nut wrote:
I'm wanting to move my Lennox AC unit from the concrete pad it's on
to the side of my house.
My cousin is a heating/cooling guy and said that a lot of people are
mounting a metal frame to the concrete/brick now and sitting the unit
on it. I've tried tons of google searches and have come up with
nothing as far as pictures go how-to's.
If I had some pictures to go by I could design the frame and weld it
up pretty quick but haven't had much luck.

Thanks to anyone that can point me in the right direction.

That's they way it was set up on my new home (ten years ago). I had to
do some adjusting to eliminate the vibration issue. I still get a small
amount of vibration, but not much now.

I suspect they did it because it was cheaper than building a proper pad.
If I had it to do over, I would put it on a good pad.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Old May 9th 05, 02:18 AM
Tekkie®

p-nut posted for all of us...

I'm wanting to move my Lennox AC unit from the concrete pad it's on to the
side of my house.
My cousin is a heating/cooling guy and said that a lot of people are
mounting a metal frame to the concrete/brick now and sitting the unit on it.
I've tried tons of google searches and have come up with nothing as far as
pictures go how-to's.
If I had some pictures to go by I could design the frame and weld it up
pretty quick but haven't had much luck.

Thanks to anyone that can point me in the right direction.

No comments on mounting, but why do you want to do this and beware of sound/vibration
transfer.
--

Tekkie
Old May 9th 05, 03:26 AM
Gideon

P-nut,

Be sure to check on local zoning. Even with much more quiet units
these days, many communities still have old ordinances which forbid
putting the units on the side of the house.

Good luck,
Gideon

===============

Old May 9th 05, 05:47 AM
Richard J Kinch

p-nut writes:

I'm wanting to move my Lennox AC unit from the concrete pad it's on to
the side of my house.

Why?
Old May 9th 05, 03:41 PM
borgunit

I concur, why? Is there some specific reason for doing this? Hanging a
appliance is extra work and adds new issues (vibration, support). Make
sure you are not doing it for "because everyone else is doing it".

Old May 9th 05, 04:33 PM
p-nut

Richard J Kinch wrote:
p-nut writes:

I'm wanting to move my Lennox AC unit from the concrete pad it's on
to the side of my house.

Why?

I want to move my AC to the side of the house and remove the pad for
additional room/less noise for the new deck I will be building in the next
month or so. Mounting it sounds like it's a bad idea hearing from everyone
so far so I might just pour a new slab on the side of the house.

Old May 10th 05, 12:36 AM
Tekkie®

p-nut posted for all of us...

I want to move my AC to the side of the house and remove the pad for
additional room/less noise for the new deck I will be building in the next
month or so. Mounting it sounds like it's a bad idea hearing from everyone
so far so I might just pour a new slab on the side of the house.

Ok, that makes sense. Don't want to build a deck around the condensor (as shown on some
HVAC sites as what NOT to do). The HVAC guys can confirm this but I don't see you
needing a poured pad. Heck some places use plastic types. Check with your AHJ for local
regs of course.
--

Tekkie