Percival P. Cassidy

Default Garage Door Opener question

For the first time in the 18 months we've been in this house, our garage
door suddenly opened on its own. I knew that these openers are (like
many other things, such as cordless phones, remote temperature sensors,
wireless networking equipment) "Part 15" devices whose users must put up
with whatever interference they experience, but it suddenly struck me:
What happens if the door opens when we are on vacation?

This is an older system that *may* perhaps be more susceptible to
interference than more recent ones, but do people typically turn off or
unplug their garage openers when they leave the house unoccupied for an
extended period?

Perce
Dan C

On Sat, 07 May 2005 11:30:02 -0400, Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

This is an older system that *may* perhaps be more susceptible to
interference than more recent ones, but do people typically turn off or
unplug their garage openers when they leave the house unoccupied for an
extended period?

I certainly do.

Linux Registered User #327951

Edwin Pawlowski

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in message
For the first time in the 18 months we've been in this house, our garage
door suddenly opened on its own.

do people typically turn off or unplug their garage openers when they
leave the house unoccupied for an extended period?

Mine has never opened in 20+ years so I never thought about it. In your
case, yes, I'd unplug it.

JimL

wrote:

For the first time in the 18 months we've been in this house, our garage
door suddenly opened on its own. I knew that these openers are (like
many other things, such as cordless phones, remote temperature sensors,
wireless networking equipment) "Part 15" devices whose users must put up
with whatever interference they experience, but it suddenly struck me:
What happens if the door opens when we are on vacation?

This is an older system that *may* perhaps be more susceptible to
interference than more recent ones, but do people typically turn off or
unplug their garage openers when they leave the house unoccupied for an
extended period?

Perce

Yes. And lock it with a 2x4.

Backlash

Years ago, my garage door was found open occasionally, when I could have
sworn I had closed it. One day I was standing in the yard, and up goes my
door on it's own. Hearing a vehicle coming, I looked across the street to
see my neighbor's door opening along with mine. His wife had opened it from
a block away. Theirs was a Chamberlain, and mine was a Genie. We got
together and reset our codes differently. Problem ended. I know of another
that an aircraft flying over during lineup to the runway would open
occasionally.

RJ

wrote:

For the first time in the 18 months we've been in this house, our garage
door suddenly opened on its own. I knew that these openers are (like
many other things, such as cordless phones, remote temperature sensors,
wireless networking equipment) "Part 15" devices whose users must put up
with whatever interference they experience, but it suddenly struck me:
What happens if the door opens when we are on vacation?

This is an older system that *may* perhaps be more susceptible to
interference than more recent ones, but do people typically turn off or
unplug their garage openers when they leave the house unoccupied for an
extended period?

Perce

Yes. And lock it with a 2x4.

Dick

wrote:

For the first time in the 18 months we've been in this house, our garage
door suddenly opened on its own. I knew that these openers are (like
many other things, such as cordless phones, remote temperature sensors,
wireless networking equipment) "Part 15" devices whose users must put up
with whatever interference they experience, but it suddenly struck me:
What happens if the door opens when we are on vacation?

This is an older system that *may* perhaps be more susceptible to
interference than more recent ones, but do people typically turn off or
unplug their garage openers when they leave the house unoccupied for an
extended period?

Perce

Yes, the older systems were very susceptible to outside interference.
The new ones have thousands or even millions of code combinations
which change each time you operate the door, making it nearly
impossible for someone besides you to open it. That's why I bought a
new Chamberlain at Costco for about $160 and stopped worrying about
it. In your case, I would definitely unplug the thing. Maybe every
time you leave the house? :-)
SJF

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in message
For the first time in the 18 months we've been in this house, our garage
door suddenly opened on its own. I knew that these openers are (like
many other things, such as cordless phones, remote temperature sensors,
wireless networking equipment) "Part 15" devices whose users must put up
with whatever interference they experience, but it suddenly struck me:
What happens if the door opens when we are on vacation?

This is an older system that *may* perhaps be more susceptible to
interference than more recent ones, but do people typically turn off or
unplug their garage openers when they leave the house unoccupied for an
extended period?

Perce

The early ones were coded by a simple tone. Mine would sometimes open when
planes from the airport transmitted, the police patrols transmitted or I
used my ham radio. About thirty years ago they were transistorized and used
coded signals to trigger operation. Never had an unintended opening since.
However, I disable the door when I go on vacation.

SJF

Chris Hill

wrote:

For the first time in the 18 months we've been in this house, our garage
door suddenly opened on its own. I knew that these openers are (like
many other things, such as cordless phones, remote temperature sensors,
wireless networking equipment) "Part 15" devices whose users must put up
with whatever interference they experience, but it suddenly struck me:
What happens if the door opens when we are on vacation?

This is an older system that *may* perhaps be more susceptible to
interference than more recent ones, but do people typically turn off or
unplug their garage openers when they leave the house unoccupied for an
extended period?

Yes. People can always drive through with devices made for the
purpose and just try random codes until they get something.