Borax

Default BBQ Thermometer probe replacement

Hi,

I am not sure if this is the correct forum, but I'll hope. I have a
Nu-Temp wireless thermometer that I really like
(http://www.nu-temp.com/701.htm) except for 2 things.

The maximun temperature that it can display is 392F, and even the high
temp probe
(http://ww5.aitsafe.com/cf/add.cfm?us...95&units=14.95)
has a maximum temperature rating of 572F.

My main concern is that I can't check to get, say, a 450F temperature,
and I'm a bit concerned that with a hot flame on my LP grill I could
damage the probe.

So.... Is it possible to use an alternate probe (thermocouple) that is
rated for higher temperatures (something like
http://www.omega.com/ppt/pptsc.asp?ref=TJ36-ACL)

I'm not sure if thermocouples can be interchanged or have certain
characteristics that would make them unusable.

I just don't want to burn up probes.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!

I've got one, very similar. I've gone through 2 of them already.
GREAT thermometers, but they don't seem to last. I'm not sure why...if
it was the high temp of the flame, or what. I know water can damage
them, so I was very carefull with that.

It's now my understanding, that these are NOT meant to keep inside the
grill, for any length of time. It's only meant to take periodic meat
temperature readings. That's why it doesn't go any higher than 392,
I'm assuming.

Don't know about changing probes...sorry.

Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
oups.com...
I've got one, very similar. I've gone through 2 of them already.
GREAT thermometers, but they don't seem to last. I'm not sure why...if
it was the high temp of the flame, or what. I know water can damage
them, so I was very carefull with that.

It's now my understanding, that these are NOT meant to keep inside the
grill, for any length of time. It's only meant to take periodic meat
temperature readings. That's why it doesn't go any higher than 392,
I'm assuming.

Don't know about changing probes...sorry.

Most of the probes are identical for a half dozen or more brands. They are
not designed for reading grill temperatures, but, as you note, used in meat.
The probe is the weak link. They are easily damaged by direct flame, a very
hot grill surface, getting slammed in the cooker door, water, etc. If you
position it properly, you can leave the probe in the meat. Just try to keep
the wire off a very hot grate and don't pinch it.

This info is from September 2003, so e-mail first and ask.

I sent a check for $25.00 and within about a week and a half I had 5 shiny
new polder probes in my hand.

For Polder, etc.
E-mail

Just send check or money order to: