Joe S

Default Sheer wall plywood on shower wall?

I've ripped my shower back to studs. One wall has 1/4" plywood over the
studs with just a small hole for a shower head. House is 20 years old
in So. Cali.

I've been told that this is 'sheer' protection. I would like to put
some plumbing in this wall for additional heads, but am concerned that
I should not mess around with the plywood.

(I've also been told that it has since been found that with 1/4", if
the protection is ever needed, the nails will rip right out of it
before it withstands much stress.)

So, do I need to not mess around with this plywood? Or can I do
something which will allow me to open it up to do some plumbing work?

Joe

G Henslee

Joe S wrote:
I've ripped my shower back to studs. One wall has 1/4" plywood over the
studs with just a small hole for a shower head. House is 20 years old
in So. Cali.

I've been told that this is 'sheer' protection. I would like to put
some plumbing in this wall for additional heads, but am concerned that
I should not mess around with the plywood.

(I've also been told that it has since been found that with 1/4", if
the protection is ever needed, the nails will rip right out of it
before it withstands much stress.)

So, do I need to not mess around with this plywood? Or can I do
something which will allow me to open it up to do some plumbing work?

Joe

It's part of a sheer wall. No bfd. Do your work and replace the
plywood in that area when you're done.
Joe S

G Henslee wrote:
Joe S wrote:
[...]

My big concern, really, was that it's currently a much bigger sheet
(can't tell how big, really, as it goes up into the next floor). So, if
I understand, if I just cut out a rectangle, do the plumbing, then
replace that section with a few holes in it, then that's alright.

Joe

G Henslee

Joe S wrote:
G Henslee wrote:

Joe S wrote:

[...]

If you box out the hole when you're done so as to provide edge nailing
for the existing ply and also for the new piece of ply you fill in with,
that is generally sufficient. You can use a Simpson "A" clip to help
you install the blocks between the studs easier. http://tinyurl.com/9wrlf

BobK207

Joe-

If the plywood is really only 1/4" then it's not much of a shear wall.

If you only make small holes ( 3") & just a few I wouldn't worry
about it.

If you need to cut out a large section just makes the cuts about 3/4"
from the framing so you can put in some 2x4 blocking around the cut.
Replace the cut out ply by nailing to the new blocking. Make it easy
on yourself & rip the blocking down a litttle so the fit up is easier.

Cheers
Bob

Joe S

BobK207 wrote:
Joe-

If the plywood is really only 1/4" then it's not much of a shear wall.

That's what I understand.

If you only make small holes ( 3") & just a few I wouldn't worry about it.

Yes, just a couple.

If you need to cut out a large section just makes the cuts about 3/4"
from the framing so you can put in some 2x4 blocking around the cut.
Replace the cut out ply by nailing to the new blocking. Make it easy
on yourself & rip the blocking down a litttle so the fit up is easier.

Thanks much to you, Bob, and G Henslee!!

--
Joe
BobK207

Joe-

Let us know how it turns out.

Bob

HELP: vertical foundation crack in new construction Zhixin Tang Home Repair 46 October 26th 03 01:53 PM
Shower leak Dan Harms Home Repair 8 October 21st 03 01:03 AM
Concrete retaining wall issue revisited jeff Home Ownership 1 August 20th 03 12:06 AM
strange shaped shower rail NC UK diy 2 July 31st 03 12:33 PM
Retaining Wall in front of another Retaining Wall MCL Home Repair 0 July 11th 03 03:48 PM