dean

Default What to lubricate a pump-up sprayer with?

Ok several times now I have bought a pumpable garden sprayer, and it
works fine one year, but the next the pump action is all stiff and
siezed. What should I lubridate the thing with? Its really annoying!
Not sure if I can use a spray oil or not.

Thanks

Dean

Fred Wesner

Not sure about the lube Dean, but I discovered years ago that if you
only make enough mix and empty, flush with water and set upside down to
drain after each use they will last for years. I have two one for
herbicide and another for pesticide both are cheap plastic tank units
and both are at least ten years old.

I learned to never leave spray in the sprayer or you will be buying a
new sprayer every year.

My two cents,
Fred

dean wrote:

Ok several times now I have bought a pumpable garden sprayer, and it
works fine one year, but the next the pump action is all stiff and
siezed. What should I lubridate the thing with? Its really annoying!
Not sure if I can use a spray oil or not.

Thanks

Dean

Joseph Meehan

dean wrote:
Ok several times now I have bought a pumpable garden sprayer, and it
works fine one year, but the next the pump action is all stiff and
siezed. What should I lubridate the thing with? Its really annoying!
Not sure if I can use a spray oil or not.

Thanks

Dean

First step is to clean it. I have used petroleum jelly on some and it
has worked well.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

dean

Ok thanks all. It may be hosed, we'll see, but the general concensus is
to use an oil-based lubricant?

-D

Charles Spitzer

"dean" wrote in message
oups.com...
Ok thanks all. It may be hosed, we'll see, but the general concensus is
to use an oil-based lubricant?

-D

using oil-based things on rubber causes them to break down. use silicone
based things instead.

dean

Ok. have some silicone grease.

-D

Colbyt

"dean" wrote in message
ups.com...
Ok. have some silicone grease.

-D

It really depends on what the plunger washer is made of. On the farm as a
child I watched my grandfather use a squirt of motor oil. The plunger
washers were made of leather at that time.

I doubt that is the case anymore.

Silicone won't hurt leather, rubber or any composite material.Not sure about
the silicone grease.

Have you tried just adding a 1/4 cup of plain water or water with a splash
of Joy or Dawn down the plunger shaft from the top of the unit. This
"priming the pump" has worked for me before.

Colbyt

Jimbo

Years ago a plumber friend of mine saw me lubricating a washer or "O" ring
with vasaline and he told me that was a no no. He said most hardware stores
sell tubes of plumbers lub/grease and it doesn't damage "O" rings and
wahers. I've been using the same little container for years and it seems to
do the job. It's probably just a standard silicone lubricant repackaged as
a specialty product so they can charge extra for it.

Jimbo
"Colbyt" wrote in message
news

"dean" wrote in message
ups.com...
Ok. have some silicone grease.

-D

It really depends on what the plunger washer is made of. On the farm as a
child I watched my grandfather use a squirt of motor oil. The plunger
washers were made of leather at that time.

I doubt that is the case anymore.

Silicone won't hurt leather, rubber or any composite material.Not sure
about
the silicone grease.

Have you tried just adding a 1/4 cup of plain water or water with a splash
of Joy or Dawn down the plunger shaft from the top of the unit. This
"priming the pump" has worked for me before.

Colbyt

Joseph Meehan

Jimbo wrote:
Years ago a plumber friend of mine saw me lubricating a washer or "O"
ring with vasaline and he told me that was a no no.

From a technical standpoint he is right. I still use it however since
it is there and I will never remember to do it otherwise. It is not all
that bad, but yea, to do it right use the right stuff.

He said most
hardware stores sell tubes of plumbers lub/grease and it doesn't
damage "O" rings and wahers. I've been using the same little
container for years and it seems to do the job. It's probably just a
standard silicone lubricant repackaged as a specialty product so they
can charge extra for it.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

SteveB

"dean" wrote in message
oups.com...
Ok several times now I have bought a pumpable garden sprayer, and it
works fine one year, but the next the pump action is all stiff and
siezed. What should I lubridate the thing with? Its really annoying!
Not sure if I can use a spray oil or not.

Thanks

Dean

According to the directions, use Vaseline. But that won't help if you left
something in there that ate the O ring. I have been having a Dickens of a
time finding the right size O ring, without buying the whole rebuild kit.
Been to specialty hose houses, etc. The only thing I can do is use a 1/8" O
ring, and put a rubber band in the groove first. It works, but not as good
as new.

Steve

i use a plastic pump up sprayer and i hose some water around the pump
handle shaft to get it working. lucas

Richard J Kinch

Charles Spitzer writes:

using oil-based things on rubber causes them to break down.

Nonsense. Plenty of rubber in contact with oil and gasoline in your
automobile.
Rudy

What should I lubridate the thing with? Its really annoying!

Disassemble to get at the O-ring and use Vaseline..the real petroleum jelly,
not the handcream, etc.
Worked well for me

Jmagerl

"dean" wrote in message
oups.com...
Ok several times now I have bought a pumpable garden sprayer, and it
works fine one year, but the next the pump action is all stiff and
siezed. What should I lubridate the thing with? Its really annoying!
Not sure if I can use a spray oil or not.

Thanks

Dean

AT the end of every year, I do a very good clean out and give all the rubber
pieces a spray of silicon lube. Sometimes I will use a heavy silicon grease
(available in pool supplys for lubricating pool O rings). My sprayer is
going on 10 years and it was cheapy $10 wonder when I bought it.

SJF

"Richard J Kinch" wrote in message
.. .
Charles Spitzer writes:

using oil-based things on rubber causes them to break down.

Nonsense. Plenty of rubber in contact with oil and gasoline in your
automobile.

It's not rubber. It's one of the synthetics that can tolerate petroleum
products. And the gaskets in a sprayer, which must expect some contact with
petroleum products, should not be rubber either. --- SJF

Richard J Kinch

SJF writes:

Nonsense. Plenty of rubber in contact with oil and gasoline in your
automobile.

It's not rubber.

Quibble.
William W. Plummer

dean wrote:
Ok several times now I have bought a pumpable garden sprayer, and it
works fine one year, but the next the pump action is all stiff and
siezed. What should I lubridate the thing with? Its really annoying!
Not sure if I can use a spray oil or not.

In the old days we used Neatsfoot oil on the leather pump cylinder
seals. Today some sort of plastic is probably used however.
Stormin Mormon

I got one years ago. It has a ocuple clips to take the top offf the plunger
assembly. They suggest vaseline, though some axle grease would do.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"dean" wrote in message
oups.com...
Ok several times now I have bought a pumpable garden sprayer, and it
works fine one year, but the next the pump action is all stiff and
siezed. What should I lubridate the thing with? Its really annoying!
Not sure if I can use a spray oil or not.

Thanks

Dean

none

On 6 May 2005 11:19:23 -0700, "dean" wrote:

Ok several times now I have bought a pumpable garden sprayer, and it
works fine one year, but the next the pump action is all stiff and
siezed. What should I lubridate the thing with? Its really annoying!
Not sure if I can use a spray oil or not.

Thanks

Dean

As the rest said... wash it out and put some water in top of pump,
pump it a few times to clean any chemicals.

I buy the cheap 1 gallon sprayers and label each as to contents EVEN
if I empty and clean after each use. Ya' don't want round up in the
one you spray roses with.. even a trace amount. This way if I made up
too much spray, I can release pressure and leave stored if I'm pretty
sure I'm going to use again within 30-60 days..

Usually in the spring I have to assemble the sprayer with water in the
tank, put a little water in top of pump under handle, then start
pumping...

These cheap $10 sprayers seem to last as well as the more expensive
ones.. and I don't mind putting bleach solutions in them as I never
would the more expensive sprayers.. I have 4 which have worked great
for the past 5 years even with the bleach in one.. 409 concentrate in
another etc.. (with bleach I use all, rinse, flush after each use)
Chuck
Richard J Kinch

Red Cloud® writes:

Nonsense. Plenty of rubber in contact with oil and gasoline in your
automobile.

It's not rubber.

Quibble.

THAT is hardly a quibble, Kinch.

Now you're quibbling over "quibble".

Goedjn

Oh, yeah... You're the jerk who thinks that the skull and crossbones on paint
thinner is "a quibble" as well. I guess to you, anything that looks like rubber
"is" rubber, and if paint thinner looks pretty much like water, then it must be
safe to drink.

Hey, hydrocarbon, carbohydrate. Same damn thing...

Richard J Kinch

Red Cloud® writes:

How is it a "quibble" that the parts in the engine are NOT RUBBER at
all?

Because they are rubber in the sense of the word as used by the OP. You
want to pick a petty fight about definitions, which is to say, quibbling.
Richard J Kinch

Red Cloud® writes:

Because they are rubber in the sense of the word as used by the OP. You
want to pick a petty fight about definitions, which is to say, quibbling.

Please don't ever claim to be any sort of ...

I'll consider updating my resume. You may want to consider applying
yourself to something useful and constructive rather than foolishness.