Julie P.

Default Easiest way to ground a computer?

The electrical wiring in my house is not grounded, although all the outlets
are three prong. I have a lot of equipment like air conditioners, fax
machines, printers, computers, routers, etc. What would be the easiest way
to ground one or two of my outlets?

Can I string a wire over the grounding prong on the surge protector plug and
then run the wire out of my windows to the ground and then impale the ground
with a coat hanger attached to the wire?

Or can I just wrap the wire around the painted radiator pipe which runs to
the upstairs tenant's radiator? This is close to the outlets.

Thanks!

Matt

Code prohibits the use of coat hangers for the grounding of more than
one outlet.

Julie P.

"Matt" wrote in message
ps.com...
Code prohibits the use of coat hangers for the grounding of more than
one outlet.

Thanks, but I don't care about the code. Everything in this house violates
code anyway and I need a quick and cheap solution.

Matt

Oh. Well ask Doug then.

He knows all about tricity.

Julie P.

"Matt" wrote in message
ups.com...
Oh. Well ask Doug then.

He knows all about tricity.

It's not that I don't care about code, it's that this house already violates
so many times, that it would be pointless to adhere to it anymore.

Matt

Golly, it sure sounds like a swell house.

Best of luck with that computer project, Jules.

Dan C

On Thu, 05 May 2005 21:50:17 -0400, Julie P. wrote:

The electrical wiring in my house is not grounded, although all the outlets
are three prong. I have a lot of equipment like air conditioners, fax
machines, printers, computers, routers, etc. What would be the easiest way
to ground one or two of my outlets?

Can I string a wire over the grounding prong on the surge protector plug and
then run the wire out of my windows to the ground and then impale the ground
with a coat hanger attached to the wire?

Or can I just wrap the wire around the painted radiator pipe which runs to
the upstairs tenant's radiator? This is close to the outlets.

Thanks!

Were you born stupid, or have you become that way over time?

Linux Registered User #327951

toller

"Matt" wrote in message
ps.com...
Code prohibits the use of coat hangers for the grounding of more than
one outlet.

Sure, a steel coathanger, but brass or aluminum coathangers have no limit.
(wood coathangers can ground only switches.)

Julie P.

"Dan C" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 05 May 2005 21:50:17 -0400, Julie P. wrote:

The electrical wiring in my house is not grounded, although all the
outlets
are three prong. I have a lot of equipment like air conditioners, fax
machines, printers, computers, routers, etc. What would be the easiest
way
to ground one or two of my outlets?

Can I string a wire over the grounding prong on the surge protector plug
and
then run the wire out of my windows to the ground and then impale the
ground
with a coat hanger attached to the wire?

Or can I just wrap the wire around the painted radiator pipe which runs
the upstairs tenant's radiator? This is close to the outlets.

Thanks!

Were you born stupid, or have you become that way over time?

blah blah blah. Go troll somewhere else.

Jeff Wisnia

Julie P. wrote:
The electrical wiring in my house is not grounded, although all the outlets
are three prong. I have a lot of equipment like air conditioners, fax
machines, printers, computers, routers, etc. What would be the easiest way
to ground one or two of my outlets?

Can I string a wire over the grounding prong on the surge protector plug and
then run the wire out of my windows to the ground and then impale the ground
with a coat hanger attached to the wire?

Or can I just wrap the wire around the painted radiator pipe which runs to
the upstairs tenant's radiator? This is close to the outlets.

Thanks!

Methinks ou are either a wise guy trying to put us on or an ignoranus
being serious.

Which is it?

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

schools"

John Harlow

Julie P. wrote:
The electrical wiring in my house is not grounded, although all the
outlets are three prong.

Assuming things are as screwed up in your house as you say, what problem is
it you are really trying to solve? What is the point of this whacky ground?

Dan C

On Thu, 05 May 2005 23:11:02 -0400, Julie P. wrote:

Or can I just wrap the wire around the painted radiator pipe which runs
to the upstairs tenant's radiator? This is close to the outlets.

Were you born stupid, or have you become that way over time?

blah blah blah. Go troll somewhere else.

Me trolling? LOL! How about that statement of yours above? Are you
really that ****ing stupid to think that a *painted* radiator pipe is
going to provide a ground? Huh?

You're the one trolling. You seem to have fooled a few morons around
here, but it's quite obvious. Go play in traffic.

Linux Registered User #327951

Tony Hwang

Julie P. wrote:

The electrical wiring in my house is not grounded, although all the outlets
are three prong. I have a lot of equipment like air conditioners, fax
machines, printers, computers, routers, etc. What would be the easiest way
to ground one or two of my outlets?

Can I string a wire over the grounding prong on the surge protector plug and
then run the wire out of my windows to the ground and then impale the ground
with a coat hanger attached to the wire?

Or can I just wrap the wire around the painted radiator pipe which runs to
the upstairs tenant's radiator? This is close to the outlets.

Thanks!

Hi,
I won't live in a place like that.
But as long as you know it, wrapping is not enough, you need a clamp
type ground connector. Sure the radiator is grounded?
Must be VERY old building. Ever heard of ground loop which may create
more problem than not having ground at all.
As long as you know.
Safety always first.
Tony
Julie P.

"John Harlow" wrote in message
Julie P. wrote:
The electrical wiring in my house is not grounded, although all the
outlets are three prong.

Assuming things are as screwed up in your house as you say, what problem
is it you are really trying to solve? What is the point of this whacky
ground?

First of all, many many homes do not have grounded outlets.

Second, I've seen other people attach a wire and run it out the window to
the ground.

Third many people attach the wire to a cold water pipe.

So I'm looking for solutions, not sarcasm.

Julie P.

"Dan C" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 05 May 2005 23:11:02 -0400, Julie P. wrote:

Or can I just wrap the wire around the painted radiator pipe which runs
to the upstairs tenant's radiator? This is close to the outlets.

Were you born stupid, or have you become that way over time?

blah blah blah. Go troll somewhere else.

Me trolling? LOL! How about that statement of yours above? Are you
really that ****ing stupid to think that a *painted* radiator pipe is
going to provide a ground? Huh?

You're the one trolling. You seem to have fooled a few morons around
here, but it's quite obvious. Go play in traffic.

Go **** yourself asshole!

Julie P.

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
Julie P. wrote:

The electrical wiring in my house is not grounded, although all the
outlets are three prong. I have a lot of equipment like air conditioners,
fax machines, printers, computers, routers, etc. What would be the
easiest way to ground one or two of my outlets?

Can I string a wire over the grounding prong on the surge protector plug
and then run the wire out of my windows to the ground and then impale the
ground with a coat hanger attached to the wire?

Or can I just wrap the wire around the painted radiator pipe which runs
to the upstairs tenant's radiator? This is close to the outlets.

Thanks!

Hi,
I won't live in a place like that.

What would you do though if you were looking at houses to rent? Pull out a
receptacle at each one you visit to see if it is grounded?

But as long as you know it, wrapping is not enough, you need a clamp type
ground connector. Sure the radiator is grounded?

I am not sure, that is why I was asking. If I get ambitious I will simply
run a ground wire form the receptacle to the neutral bus bar on the panel.
But I do not want to do something where it takes too much time since it is
not my house and it would only be a temporary set up (there is no way I
would improve the house and then just leave it after I move out). If I
happen to add another circuit or two for my office, I could just add the
ground wires then.

Must be VERY old building. Ever heard of ground loop which may create more
problem than not having ground at all.
As long as you know.
Safety always first.
Tony

Thanks Tony. It was built in the 1800's.

J.

Dr. Hardcrab

"Julie P." wrote in message

"Dan C" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 05 May 2005 23:11:02 -0400, Julie P. wrote:

Or can I just wrap the wire around the painted radiator pipe which
runs
to the upstairs tenant's radiator? This is close to the outlets.

Were you born stupid, or have you become that way over time?

blah blah blah. Go troll somewhere else.

Me trolling? LOL! How about that statement of yours above? Are you
really that ****ing stupid to think that a *painted* radiator pipe is
going to provide a ground? Huh?

You're the one trolling. You seem to have fooled a few morons around
here, but it's quite obvious. Go play in traffic.

Go **** yourself asshole!

Do you kiss your mother with that mouth??

stretch

Julie

To get an earth ground, you must pound a ten foot copper coated ground
rod into the ground and clamp a wire to it. For a 20 amp circuit, the
ground wire should be 12 gauge. In a building as old as yours, you
could also attach the ground wire to the metal water pipe where it
enters the building. Make sure you sand off any paint or corrosion,
you must ground to bare metal. Use a clamp, don't just wrap the wire
around the pipe.

Pay no attention to Matt. That is just his idea of humor, making
trouble for other people. He likes to belittle people who call him
nasty names, but there are no nice names for Matt. The more I hear
from him, the more I am convinced of that.

Stretch

Dan C

On Fri, 06 May 2005 01:14:59 -0400, Julie P. wrote:

You're the one trolling. You seem to have fooled a few morons around
here, but it's quite obvious. Go play in traffic.

Go **** yourself asshole!

Oh, that's a great come-back!

Another example of your intelligence, I guess. Idiot.

Linux Registered User #327951

Dan C

On Fri, 06 May 2005 01:14:18 -0400, Julie P. wrote:

First of all, many many homes do not have grounded outlets.

Where do you live?

Second, I've seen other people attach a wire and run it out the window to
the ground.

I would report that to the nearest building inspector, if I ever saw it.

Third many people attach the wire to a cold water pipe.

That's the proper way to do it.

So I'm looking for solutions, not sarcasm.

So attach a ground bus to the cold water pipe, with solder. Not the
"painted radiator pipe", you ignorant bitch.

Linux Registered User #327951

xrongor

what you propose is pointless. 'ground' is relative. without your
electrical service being 'grounded' to the same ground as the coathanger its
just a floating ground. same as if you just used a pair of snippers and cut
the third prong off the plug.

randy

The electrical wiring in my house is not grounded, although all the
outlets are three prong. I have a lot of equipment like air conditioners,
fax machines, printers, computers, routers, etc. What would be the easiest
way to ground one or two of my outlets?

Can I string a wire over the grounding prong on the surge protector plug
and then run the wire out of my windows to the ground and then impale the
ground with a coat hanger attached to the wire?

Or can I just wrap the wire around the painted radiator pipe which runs to
the upstairs tenant's radiator? This is close to the outlets.

Thanks!

John Harlow

Assuming things are as screwed up in your house as you say, what
problem is it you are really trying to solve? What is the point of
this whacky ground?

First of all, many many homes do not have grounded outlets.

Second, I've seen other people attach a wire and run it out the
window to the ground.

Third many people attach the wire to a cold water pipe.

None of this answers my original question: WHY do you feel you need to do
this?

What benefit do you think you will gain from this ground?

Matt

Great advice, Stretch.

Not only did you show your unique ability to be trolled with ease, but
you also just gave out incorrect, dangerous info.

Good job.

Keep it up!

Chip C

xrongor wrote:
what you propose is pointless. 'ground' is relative. without your
electrical service being 'grounded' to the same ground as the

coathanger its
just a floating ground. same as if you just used a pair of snippers

and cut
the third prong off the plug.

This is actually a pretty good point. A makeshift ground may do more
harm than good; in the extreme worse case, suppose you "ground" to a
water pipe which is not itself grounded (suppose the water service has
never been upgraded and is still lead, or has been upgraded recently
with plastic). Then a fault on your grounded computer energizes all the
plumbing in the house. A wire out the window to a coathanger is not a
ground, it's an antenna, and it's anyone's guess what that'll do for
your computer.

What you can consider, which is code-compliant in the US and Canada and
a safety benefit, is to have the ungrounded outlets replaced with GFCI
receptacles. This does not provide ground but will protect against a
lot of what can go wrong. GFCI's come with stickers that say "no
equipment ground" that you put on the faceplace when you do this.

If the "site wiring fault" light on your surge suppressor bothers you,
put tape over it.

Chip C
Toronto

kevin

Julie,

Sorry you got so much abuse on this board. You are right that some
computer equiptment does need a decent ground to function properly.
Some of the replies were right (even though abusive) -- you do want to
be careful not to make the situation worse than it already is. Since
the ground is used for several things (sheilding, possibly a reference
voltage, and place to dump current in the case of a short circuit), you
have to watch what you are doing. You are probably best off just living
without the ground unless your particular equiptment is not working
correctly without it. The issue with the ground wire is that it carries
current in a fault situation, so you want to make sure it really really
is connected to the ground. If it is hot but not connected, then you
can end up with hot radiators, plumbing, or whatever, which is worse
than just having no ground wire at all.
Here are some ideas:

1 - Get a 3-prong to 2-prong-with-ground adapter. The adapter should
let you attach a ground wire, preferably with a screw clamp of some
kind. This way you won't be causing any ground loops, or connecting in
any way to the (disconnected) ground on the outlet. I don't know the
code surrounding these, but this may be the best option for your
unfortunate situation.

2 - Buy a decent peice of wire for the ground cord. I don't see why it
needs to be any bigger than the wire used by your equiptment itself. So
you could just buy 14g stranded cord, for example, if that is what you
prefer. Best would be to buy a length of 14 gauge solid copper wire
with a green covering, which would make it clear what it is being used
for. You could use 12 guage also, but for a single computer device that
would be overkill, and harder for you to work with.

3 - Don't connect to the radiator or other things, for the reasons
above. A coat hanger won't work. You normally would need a ground rod,
but you might be able to find something suitable nearby already. What
does your service ground use? If you can find your existing ground
rod(s), or whatever plumbing pipe is used all ready, connect to that
with a new separate copper clamp. If you entire service is ungrounded,
then you have much bigger problems and need to report it. If you can't
get at the ground for some reason, then you could put in your own
ground rod, which should not be too hard. Talk to someone at a decent
electrical supply store (not HD or bigbox stores -- try an independent
store with an old guy behind the counter), and they will give you a rod
and instructions on how to install it. You can use the same rod for
multiple computers.

Good luck,
-Kevin

Ron Tock

Julie P. wrote:

The electrical wiring in my house is not grounded, although all the outlets
are three prong. I have a lot of equipment like air conditioners, fax
machines, printers, computers, routers, etc. What would be the easiest way
to ground one or two of my outlets?

Can I string a wire over the grounding prong on the surge protector plug and
then run the wire out of my windows to the ground and then impale the ground
with a coat hanger attached to the wire?

Or can I just wrap the wire around the painted radiator pipe which runs to
the upstairs tenant's radiator? This is close to the outlets.

Thanks!

That little screw that holds the outlet cover on should be grounded.
You could attach to that.
Or a cold water pipe.
John Hines

"Julie P." wrote:

The electrical wiring in my house is not grounded, although all the outlets
are three prong. I have a lot of equipment like air conditioners, fax
machines, printers, computers, routers, etc. What would be the easiest way
to ground one or two of my outlets?

Get a decent UPS and plug the computer stuff into it? Mine has
Automatic voltage regulation (AVR) and it is amazing how often it kicks
in.

Weirdly, it is because the voltage increases when a load kicks on.

John Harlow

Sorry you got so much abuse on this board. You are right that some
computer equiptment does need a decent ground to function properly.

Which computer equipment would that be?

John Harlow

Weirdly, it is because the voltage increases when a load kicks on.

You might have a bad neutral connection, possibly to the pole.

Clark Griswold

"Matt" wrote in message
oups.com...
Golly, it sure sounds like a swell house.

Best of luck with that computer project, Jules.

Julie P.

Do anything and hook anything up you want. The house will probably burn to
the ground and they will come and build a new one to code.

Of course, some people may not be around to enjoy it.

Keith Jewell

The APC UPSes will generate their own ground if they don't get one. At
least, the more expensive ones. The ones that do have a little notice
in the manual about how all they need is a neutral and power.

-Keith

Dan C

On Fri, 06 May 2005 11:32:00 -0700, Keith Jewell wrote:

The APC UPSes will generate their own ground if they don't get one. At
least, the more expensive ones. The ones that do have a little notice
in the manual about how all they need is a neutral and power.

"Generate their own ground", huh? What a ****ing galoot.

You're as ignorant as the original dumb bitch that started this idiotic
thread.

Linux Registered User #327951

Matt

You mean to enjoy the fire, or enjoy the new house?

Jeff Wisnia

Ron Tock wrote:
Julie P. wrote:

The electrical wiring in my house is not grounded, although all the
outlets are three prong. I have a lot of equipment like air
conditioners, fax machines, printers, computers, routers, etc. What
would be the easiest way to ground one or two of my outlets?

Can I string a wire over the grounding prong on the surge protector
plug and then run the wire out of my windows to the ground and then
impale the ground with a coat hanger attached to the wire?

Or can I just wrap the wire around the painted radiator pipe which
runs to the upstairs tenant's radiator? This is close to the outlets.

Thanks!

That little screw that holds the outlet cover on should be grounded.
You could attach to that.
Or a cold water pipe.

Whether this thread began with a troll or not.....

Do you really think in a house that old you could rely on the boxes
being grounded? I don't think saying "should" was good advice without
teaching her how to establish whether they are or are not grounded.

If the house is as far off code as claimed, then there's no guarantee
that all the cold water piping is grounded either, someone may have
slipped a piece of plastic in when making a repair, or perhaps installed
a galvanic coupling (also an insulator) when replacing a section of old
iron pipe with copper.

She (If not a troller.) really needs to get a qualified electrician to
make sure things are done right.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

schools"

John Hines

Dan C wrote:

On Fri, 06 May 2005 11:32:00 -0700, Keith Jewell wrote:

The APC UPSes will generate their own ground if they don't get one. At
least, the more expensive ones. The ones that do have a little notice
in the manual about how all they need is a neutral and power.

"Generate their own ground", huh? What a ****ing galoot.

They tie the grounding conductors of the devices plugged into them
together.

What is lacking is the grounding conductor to the house electrical
system, so that the two grounding systems can be bonded together.

If the UPS monitors it's ground conductor for any voltage on it, and
shuts off, that serves the safety function of tripping the breaker, that
the standard ground system provides.

Note that this won't help with surge suppressors that do in fact require
a good connection to the earth ground.

You're as ignorant as the original dumb bitch that started this idiotic
thread.

But polite, and right.
Stormin

Julie,
Disregarding code and stupid replies, ground the outlet box you will
use for the computer. A secure connection to a water pipe will sufice
or run a ground to the circuit breaker or fuse box.
I own several houses built between 1902 & 1920 and these have only two
wire systems.
This works.
Stormin

xrongor

That little screw that holds the outlet cover on should be grounded.

says who? its grounded if its grounded. its not if its not. if its old
enough its not.

randy

xrongor

"Stormin" wrote in message
oups.com...
Julie,
Disregarding code and stupid replies, ground the outlet box you will
use for the computer. A secure connection to a water pipe will sufice
or run a ground to the circuit breaker or fuse box.
I own several houses built between 1902 & 1920 and these have only two
wire systems.
This works.

sorry norman. what you propose does not 'ground' anything. at best it does
nothing. at worse you have current flowing through this so called 'ground'
all the time.

randy

Matt

This thread has got to be breaking records in the area of the number of
people so easily trolled/so many incorrect answers given to a troll
question.

I hope Julie is getting a kick out of it; because other than that -
this thread serves no purpose whatsoever.