HotRod

Default Great IDeas for a new home "OLD POST"?

I remember reading a bunch of posts on good ideas to incorporate into a new
home, but can't seem to find it.
I'm almost positive that I read these posts in this newsgroup but I may be
wrong. Can anyone point me to the links?

Speedy Jim

HotRod wrote:

I remember reading a bunch of posts on good ideas to incorporate into a new
home, but can't seem to find it.
I'm almost positive that I read these posts in this newsgroup but I may be
wrong. Can anyone point me to the links?

Apologies if you already know this, but you can do an
http://groups.google.com/

Jim
HeyBub

HotRod wrote:
I remember reading a bunch of posts on good ideas to incorporate into
a new home, but can't seem to find it.
I'm almost positive that I read these posts in this newsgroup but I
may be wrong. Can anyone point me to the links?

Take advantage of thousands of engineers:

http://www.dilbert.com/comics/dilbert/duh/index.html

Muff

Hotrod, I'm just about finished building a new 3200 sq ft home. A few things
I put in are a whole house vacuum system $1500; wired all the rooms for
phone and cable before the wall board went up. stove vent piped to the out
side. Ran conduit under the slab to all four corners of the house foot print
from the main circuit box for future needs of electric for work shed or
Christmas lights. Made the two car garage wide and deep so there is lots of
room for work bench and a couple extra cabinets. Put the electric main panel
in the garage, I didn't do it but you might want to wire the house for
intercom and or sound system. Get the first floor wired for a security
system before the wall board goes up. I also added extra R30 insulation in
the attic (I'm in Florida).

Best of luck.
Muff

"HotRod" wrote in message
I remember reading a bunch of posts on good ideas to incorporate into a

new
home, but can't seem to find it.
I'm almost positive that I read these posts in this newsgroup but I may be
wrong. Can anyone point me to the links?

Beeper

After walls are framed and before closed in, run a 2" PVC pipe from
basement to attic,basement to closet,closet to attic....you get the point.
Later on when you want to add a circuit or audio wiring, you have an easy
access point to different floors. If you don't use them just cap them
off(don't glue caps on) until you need them, to prevent drafts or passage
ways for pests. Did I mention radiant floor heat? It's the best I ever felt.
Did I mention nailers around windows for curtain rods?Everyone would do one
thing different. I hope everyone posts an idea for you. Good luck!
"HotRod" wrote in message
I remember reading a bunch of posts on good ideas to incorporate into a new
home, but can't seem to find it.
I'm almost positive that I read these posts in this newsgroup but I may be
wrong. Can anyone point me to the links?

HotRod

I read a bunch of great ideas a year or two ago. LIKE

1) Make one cupboard in the kitchen with a false rear panel with a built in
power bar so that you can plug in your phones, PDA's etc. and hide all of
the wires.
2) Extra outlets in the facia of the house for Christmas lights.
3) Glass Block Floor insert. (This will be going in for sure)
4) Exhaust vent and drain in the garage.
5) Access to Pantry cupboards from Garage side, so all old canned goods and
such are at the rear. (Easy for groceries)
6) More outside water taps.

etc. etc.

nospambob

Our garage is used as a woodshop, half of it, and has a
sink/drainboard, phone and thankfully lights are on separate circuit
from outlets.

"HotRod" wrote in message
I remember reading a bunch of posts on good ideas to incorporate into a

new
home, but can't seem to find it.
I'm almost positive that I read these posts in this newsgroup but I may be
wrong. Can anyone point me to the links?

World Traveler

1. I agree with the oversize garage -- the extra space is invaluable
2. I wish I had put in a cupola outlook during our renovation to get a
better view (we live on a lake)
3. We did install an outdoor shower so that I can clean up after working in
the garden, or coming back from fishing.
4. Put in an outdoor sink to use to wash up in, use for prepping sprays,
washing veggies from the garden, etc. If there's space, an outdoor toilet
would also be very useful, especially if you live in the south where you
don't have to worry about water lines freezing.
5. Make sure you have enough external electrical outlets, considering
possible future additions such as a pond, driveway or patio low voltage
lighting, etc.
6. Similarly, make sure you have enough hose bibs -- it's a lot easier to
connect/disconnect hoses than to wind and unwind long lengths of garden
hose. We also ran pvc out to create a remote water tap in the garden, about
100 feet away from the house.
7. We also ran a concrete wall, topped with ceramic tile, about six feet
from the house down the side of the house that has most of the utilities --
a/c compressors, well pump, water softener, etc. This conceals the
utilities and presents a clean appearance for landscaping outside the wall.
We put openings in the wall where rooms have sliding glass doors to the
outside to maintain the view.
8. Preplan the wiring for motion-sensing security lights at each corner of
the house, controlled from a wall switch inside.
9. If eventually you're going to have an outdoor patio or screen room,
ensure you've preplanned for the electric service, including lights, ceiling
fans and perimeter lights. Also, have enough outlets for an outdoor
refrigerator, clock/radio, etc. We use wireless stereo speakers which get a
signal from our satellite radio system, so there are two outlets in use
right there.
10. Plan for an irrigation system, preferably one that does not use city
water.

Regards --