jay

Default No drip cap above casement windows on side of building, is this normal?

As discussed before, a few casement windows on the side of my condo
experienced some leakage during heavy wind-driven rainy conditions. The
v-shaped weather-stripping on top of the sash was worn and flattened, and
I'm dealing with this aspect of the issue.

I think that new weather-stripping may be working for now to stop leakage,
but something else has me concerned. I had someone take a look at my
windows who pointed out to me that my windows do not have any drip caps
installed above them. There is a metal flange around the perimeter of the
window, including the top. The metal flange is flat, and protrudes outward
a little bit, but I'm told that there really should be some type of slanted
drip cap to divert water from running down the siding directly onto the gap
where the window shuts. My building's siding is vertically oriented, and
water really POURS down the side of my building under certain heavy
wind-driven rainy conditions.

My Association is giving me resistance, and saying that they would hate to
install drip caps only to find out that the windows are the real problem.
My opinion is that a drip cap should be present as a first line of defense.
I think it is unrealistic for the Association to be expecting casement-style
windows on the side of a building to be 100% water-tight when there aren't
any drip caps.

Is expecting the casement windows on the side of a building to be 100%
watertight a reasonable expectation without any drip caps? Is just the
metal flange considered to be sufficient?

Thanks,

Art

Depends on the brand window. Is it a name brand window?

"jay" wrote in message
[...]

certain heavy wind-driven rainy conditions.

My Association is giving me resistance, and saying that they would hate to
install drip caps only to find out that the windows are the real problem.
My opinion is that a drip cap should be present as a first line of
defense. I think it is unrealistic for the Association to be expecting
casement-style windows on the side of a building to be 100% water-tight
when there aren't any drip caps.

Is expecting the casement windows on the side of a building to be 100%
watertight a reasonable expectation without any drip caps? Is just the
metal flange considered to be sufficient?

Thanks,

jay

Depends on the brand window. Is it a name brand window?

I'm not sure what brand they are. Whomever manufactured them left no
identifiable markings. These windows are roughly 17 years old. Someone
said they look like Norco, but I don't know if that is really true. The
person I spoke with when I called them said it didn't sound like their
windows.

J.

Norminn

jay wrote:
As discussed before, a few casement windows on the side of my condo
experienced some leakage during heavy wind-driven rainy conditions. The
v-shaped weather-stripping on top of the sash was worn and flattened, and
I'm dealing with this aspect of the issue.

During hurricane? If that is only time it leaked, I would be inclined
not to worry about drip caps. Caulk and paint. One of the more
interesting effects of hurricane was to read about folks who had water
permeating exterior walls of concrete block/stucco. The same kind of
walls, but older, leaked less because they had more coats of paint on
them )

We had a rather bad roofing job done in '97. Lots of shingles falling
off, no wind needed. After a number of callbacks, and a couple of major
reworks, the contractor had glued down a lot of tabs. Mansard and
flat roof. Come hurricane time, it really held on - there are still
shingles laying in the streets, and we lost very few compared to
neighbors. What was surprising to me was to see concrete tiles removed
by wind. Wow! We had a 5' x 15' plastic and aluminum skylight become
airborne, and a dock piling move, but that was it.

Has your association considered hurricane shutters? They would probably
solve the problem. The frame would probably divert your water, too.

jay

During hurricane? If that is only time it leaked

No, just during heavy rain when the wind happens to be blowing toward the
side of the building.

J.