Default Carpet to hardwood floor threshold

I am renovating a bedroom and have a flooring transiion
question. There is carpet in the BR and in the adjoining hall, with a
seam in the doorway. The BR is gettng new carpet. Sometime in the
future (not soon enough to be part of this project, I am going to pull
up the hall carpet and replace it with hardwood strip flooring. The BR
doorway consists of two bifold doors that I am going to replace with
french doors and a hardwood threshold. I was going to do the doors and
threshold after the carpet but now I'm thinking that I should do that
before the carpet gets installed so that the new carpet can be tucked
in against it. But then, what do I do when I put in the flooring? I
can just butt the new hardwood against the threshold but that may not
look the best.

Any ideas on the best way to handle this? Is there a particular type
of threshold I should be using?

George

I read that a couple times and did not see the problem. Can you do the
BR carpet, then the doors, then do the flooring in the hallway ? It
sounds like if it's measured out that the phases would come together OK.

Paul Franklin

On 1 May 2005 12:54:10 -0700, wrote:

[...]

All the hardwood flooring manufacturers make transition pieces for
this. The HW flooring cannot but against it; it will eventually
either buckle or gap. The transition will have a rabbet milled into
it so the flooring actually tucks a bit under the threshold.

Alternatively, you can cut a rabbet into the threshold itself.

I'd be inclined to wait until you have the door and threshold to deal
with this. There are too many variations in sizes for you to be sure
to get it right without having the exact items you installing.

It won't be a big deal to pull a bit of carpet off the tackless,
install new tackless against the new threshold, and cut the carpet to
fit.

HTH,

Paul