Rewire Fan?

Old May 1st 05, 09:47 PM
David Glass

Default Rewire Fan?

I have a ceiling fan and the remote reciever has failed (Hunter Fan, failed
in about a year, reciever costs about $50 and is backordered...Great
product, huh?). Anyway...I want to rewire the fan to operate manually. Can
anyone suggest a resource that would help me understand how to do this? I
have a pretty good knowledge of electronics.

Thanks.

Old May 2nd 05, 12:38 AM
The Real Tom

On Sun, 01 May 2005 19:47:16 GMT, "David Glass"
wrote:

I have a ceiling fan and the remote reciever has failed (Hunter Fan, failed
in about a year, reciever costs about $50 and is backordered...Great
product, huh?). Anyway...I want to rewire the fan to operate manually. Can
anyone suggest a resource that would help me understand how to do this? I
have a pretty good knowledge of electronics.

Thanks.

Manually? Like a hand crank?

J/K Do you mean there is no switch for it?

later,

tom @ www.CarFleaMarket.com

Old May 2nd 05, 05:45 PM
David Glass

Nope...don't want to hand crank it! And yes, there is no switch. It was
marketed with a remote control for both the light and the fan. It's easy
enough to install a switch for the light, but I'm not sure of the operation
of the fan. Hoping someone can coach me so that I can install a switch for
the fan as well.

Regards.

Old May 2nd 05, 11:58 PM
The Real Tom

On Mon, 02 May 2005 15:45:09 GMT, "David Glass"
wrote:

Nope...don't want to hand crank it! And yes, there is no switch. It was
marketed with a remote control for both the light and the fan. It's easy
enough to install a switch for the light, but I'm not sure of the operation
of the fan. Hoping someone can coach me so that I can install a switch for
the fan as well.

Regards.

Are you rulling out just getting a fan that is pull chain opperated?

I have single switch the powers the whole fan. Then at the fan, I
have two pull chains, one for light combination, and the other for fan
(off and speeds).

Might be easier way to get the results you want.

hth,

tom @ www.WorkAtHomePlans.com

.. .

Old May 4th 05, 06:30 PM
David Glass

wrote:

Nope...don't want to hand crank it! And yes, there is no switch. It was
marketed with a remote control for both the light and the fan. It's easy
enough to install a switch for the light, but I'm not sure of the
operation
of the fan. Hoping someone can coach me so that I can install a switch
for
the fan as well.

Regards.

Are you rulling out just getting a fan that is pull chain opperated?

Yes, this fan is relatively new and I want to use it.

I have single switch the powers the whole fan. Then at the fan, I
have two pull chains, one for light combination, and the other for fan
(off and speeds).

I also have a switch - on the wall - that powers the fan and light.
Currently I've removed the remote reciever and wired the switch to control
the light ( I now have a $180 dining room light!) Now I want to rewire the
fan to include, as you suggested, a pull-chain switch. My basic
understanding of how the fan works is that there are three different rotors
(maybe not the right word) in the fan housing that correspond to the three
fan speeds. These rotors are energized separately depending upon the speed
you select. I think that the 4 wires I see coming out of the center of the
fan are the connections to these rotors. I'm hoping to find a resource - a
knowledgeable person or written material - that will confirm my
understanding of how the fan works and then tell me how I can wire the fan
to operate from a manual switch, such as a pull-chain. Sounds like a lot of
trouble? Probably, but these problems are always fun to try to solve.

Thanks.

Might be easier way to get the results you want.

hth,

tom @ www.WorkAtHomePlans.com

. ..

Old May 6th 05, 04:09 PM
The Real Tom

wrote:

[...]

Ok, so you have a single switch that powers the whole fan assemly,
that's ok. Many fans come with pull chains to operate the fan and
light seperatly at the fan itself.

fan to include, as you suggested, a pull-chain switch. My basic
understanding of how the fan works is that there are three different rotors
(maybe not the right word) in the fan housing that correspond to the three
fan speeds. These rotors are energized separately depending upon the speed
you select. I think that the 4 wires I see coming out of the center of the
fan are the connections to these rotors. I'm hoping to find a resource - a

4 connectors, then mostlikely that is 1 equipment grounding conductor
"ground", 1 grounded conductor "neutral", and 2 ungrounded conductors
(hots for fan motor and light(s)). Nothing complex, if you are
comfortable and safe with electricity, you should only have to follow
the manufacturers instructions.

Remember, ifyou still feel off about doing the work, I would hire
someone, the electrician's bill is cheaper than a hospital bill.

Good luck,

House rewire Joe UK diy 8 December 5th 04 05:21 PM
Advice on rewire of domestic lighting circuits John Southern UK diy 5 August 5th 04 10:16 AM
rewire house - advice please george139 UK diy 15 February 5th 04 12:33 AM
how to rewire bathroom pull switch to regular light switch Nick UK diy 20 January 20th 04 08:57 PM
To rewire, and how? bummster Woodworking 6 October 1st 03 10:43 PM