Mike Shapp

Default Sump Pump question

The house has two sump pumps in opposing corners of the basement and they
work just fine when we get water in the drains. In a third corner, at eye
level, is a 4x4 electrical box with a cover that has "Barnes Pumps" printed
on it. It has a siren and a momentary contact rocker switch with a light on
it. Above the rocker switch it says: Press the switch to silence the alarm
or test the sump alarm.

Coming out the top of the box are four wires (red, white, red, and green;
about 14 gauge) that go through the wall to the outside and into a conduit
that goes into the ground. The side of the box has two 14/2 gauge Romex
cables going in (or out).

If I press the rocker switch, nothing seems to happen. Can anyone tell me
what the siren and switch are for?

Thanks in advance,

Mike Shapp

Is there power to it ? The siren I think is to let you know if the
sump pump fails.

Joseph Meehan

Mike Shapp wrote:
The house has two sump pumps in opposing corners of the basement and
they work just fine when we get water in the drains. In a third
corner, at eye level, is a 4x4 electrical box with a cover that has
"Barnes Pumps" printed on it. It has a siren and a momentary contact
rocker switch with a light on it. Above the rocker switch it says:
Press the switch to silence the alarm or test the sump alarm.

Coming out the top of the box are four wires (red, white, red, and
green; about 14 gauge) that go through the wall to the outside and
into a conduit that goes into the ground. The side of the box has two
14/2 gauge Romex cables going in (or out).

If I press the rocker switch, nothing seems to happen. Can anyone
tell me what the siren and switch are for?

Thanks in advance,

Mike Shapp

I can only guess but I would say it is part of an old or no longing
functioning alarm system that would tell you when there was a pump failure
and the water rose. I believe I have been in the plant that makes them.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

RBM

Since you say its going outside and underground, my guess is that it's an
alarm for an effluent pump that's in a pit next to your septic tank. These
are used in areas where the effluent is drained off the top of the septic
tank and pumped uphill to the fields
"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
Mike Shapp wrote:
[...]

Joseph Meehan

RBM wrote:
Since you say its going outside and underground, my guess is that
it's an alarm for an effluent pump that's in a pit next to your
septic tank. These are used in areas where the effluent is drained
off the top of the septic tank and pumped uphill to the fields

That makes since since I believe Barnes does product this type of pump.