Michael Harris

Default Coleman furnace question

Hello, I'm new to your world here at alt.home.repair

I've searched the internet and newsgroups looking for help on a gas furnace
issue.

Background: One morning this past winter when I woke up, I noticed that the
house was getting cold. Having replaced the ignitor 2 or 3 times over the
past 10 years, I went to the furnace expecting to find my culprit. I then
noticed that my vent blower was still running and was apparently had been
for a while(motor felt hotter than expected). I then recycled the furnace
to try to troubleshoot the problem. Everything seemed in order: thermostat
activates the sequence of vent blower, then ignitor activates, gas valve
opens, ignition, ignitor deactivates(acts as flame sensor), air mover
activates, so far so good. About ~60 seconds aftern the air mover turns on,
the gas valve shuts off. Eventually the air mover shuts sown, but the vent
blower continued to run.

2 or 3 days before this, my hall thermostat had taken a pretty good hit with
a ball. I wasn't sure why, but I suspected these these events were related.
The heat anticipator in my round Honeywell was a possible candidate, because
the adjustment lever had been knocked to one end of it's range. The problem
was intermittent, and it was the end of the heating season, so I brushed it
off. Last week, the locally cold night-time temps activated our furnace,
and I then found out that my problem was still there, and it was not going
away. This weekend we are supposed to get temps in the low 30's, so I began
to try to fix it. I tried a new thermostat....no fix. Tried to bypass the
limit switch, still no luck. Seems like most of the other switches would
keep it from getting this far into the sequence.

In the 60 seconds or so that I actually have heat being moved buy the air
mover, it seems cooler than what I remember. Is there something on this
furnace that activates a 2nd stage in the gas valve? The gas valve is a
RobertShaw 7100. I saw on the internet that there was a 1991 recall on this
gas valve, but I couldn't access the article. The furnace needs to(as
Emeril would say), kick it up a notch. As you can probably tell, I'm not an
HVAC professional, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. It
would make sense that something is trying to happen once the furnace reaches
a certain temperature. Possible issue with the gas valve?

Thanks for any help.

Michael Harris

Have you checked the sensor that lets the furnace know that the gas
has ignited. On a Coleman furnace I believe this sensor is a light
sensor of some sort. It can get dirty and shut the gas valve off after
a short period of time. Wipe the lens off.
Michael Harris

I just posted below about getting this fixed. Look at the thread for the
HEIL issue. Anyway, after checking all switches and the thermostat, I read
about the gentleman's Heil sensor/ignitor issue. I had replaced the
ignitor(burned out) 3 times in 10 years. I replaced it often enough that I
kept a spare. Anyway, I stuck the new one in there today and it fixed it.
Even though it would ignite, the flame sensing wasn't working correctly,
cutting the gas off.

You were on the right track. Actually the sensor/ignitor isn't a light
sensor, but a porous type of glow plug. More of a winding loop type design.

Thanks again.

Michael Harris
wrote in message
Have you checked the sensor that lets the furnace know that the gas
has ignited. On a Coleman furnace I believe this sensor is a light
sensor of some sort. It can get dirty and shut the gas valve off after
a short period of time. Wipe the lens off.

Noob question about pilot light on gas furnace NWM Home Repair 14 November 22nd 04 11:26 AM
Old Oil Furnace Efficiency Question Vito Cavallo Home Repair 4 November 10th 04 02:07 PM
Newbie furnace question Mark Modrall Home Repair 9 September 28th 04 05:11 AM
this ought to get everybody fired up.... mel Woodworking 56 March 29th 04 04:53 PM
White Gas, Coleman Fuel, and Unleaded Gasoline Gunner Metalworking 11 October 6th 03 06:44 AM