Aluminum Vs Wood Attic Ladder

Old April 20th 05, 02:35 PM
[email protected]

Default Aluminum Vs Wood Attic Ladder

I was looking at Homedepot for Atttic ladders. The Aluminum ones are
just $10-$20 more than the Wood ones. I figure that the Aluminum ones
are better. I read the installation instructions and it says you have
to adjust the length by cutting the ends off. Has anyone installed a
Aluminum one. Is it hard to cut and adjust the length? Did you use a
sawzall.

By the way is the Aluminum that much better. It might be lighter. Any
other advantage.

Old April 20th 05, 04:55 PM
AlanBown

wrote in message
oups.com...
I was looking at Homedepot for Atttic ladders. The Aluminum ones are
just $10-$20 more than the Wood ones. I figure that the Aluminum ones
are better. I read the installation instructions and it says you have
to adjust the length by cutting the ends off. Has anyone installed a
Aluminum one. Is it hard to cut and adjust the length? Did you use a
sawzall.

By the way is the Aluminum that much better. It might be lighter. Any
other advantage.

I have never seen a AL attic ladder. Cutting the legs of a AL ladder is not
hard with a hacksaw or Sawzall and metal blade. Keeping the cut straight is
a different story.

Old April 20th 05, 05:12 PM
m Ransley

Get which ever one has a higher weight rating

Old April 20th 05, 09:39 PM
Colbyt

wrote in message
oups.com...
I was looking at Homedepot for Atttic ladders. The Aluminum ones are
just $10-$20 more than the Wood ones. I figure that the Aluminum ones
are better. I read the installation instructions and it says you have
to adjust the length by cutting the ends off. Has anyone installed a
Aluminum one. Is it hard to cut and adjust the length? Did you use a
sawzall.

By the way is the Aluminum that much better. It might be lighter. Any
other advantage.

Just yesterday I saw a metal (not sure what) one at Lowes. It had had some
sort of adjustable length at the bottom so that "No trimming was necessary".
Quoted part is their words not mine.

The wooden ones always seem to loosen up and lose screws after a bit of use.
I have no experience with the metal ones. If I were in the market for one I
would take a serious look at the metal product.

Colbyt

Old April 21st 05, 03:00 AM
borgunit

With indoor ladders, it probably does not matter much which material.
If you see yourself using it a lot, aluminum may be the way to go
since wood seems to get loose at the connections. To cut it, just use
a metal blade (fine tooth) in your Sawzall or sabre saw.

Old April 22nd 05, 08:56 PM
[email protected]

The Wooden ones rated for 350 lbs are $129