The sand between my brick pavers washes out during rain, how to fix?

Old April 19th 05, 05:36 AM
[email protected]

Default The sand between my brick pavers washes out during rain, how to fix?

I laid a sidewalk and a patio in sand using brick pavers. Whenevr it
rains I get little sand spatters on both. I would like to fix this.
Will a sealer help? Will sweeping in a thin layer of sand and morter
help?.

Specs: 4- 6 inches of #57 gravel (3/4 inch) compacted nicely, with
drainpipe embedded, 1 inch of sharp sand for bedding, bricks, layer of
sand on top, compacted again, sharp sand swept in gaps. Surface sand
swept off ( Until it rains).

Keith

Old April 19th 05, 06:00 AM
[email protected]

What kind of sand, yellow? That never works, I've tried it, too
coarse. Around here we have something called "road dust" that's a
really fine grey powder, not sure what it is. Probably from processing
quarry stone or trap rock into different sizes. A friend recommended
it because supposedly it actually stays in the grooves once it gets in
between the bricks.

Old April 19th 05, 04:01 PM
Philip Lewis

"Joseph Meehan" writes:
Likely you need a little finer sand. That said, I think any sand will
do that in the beginning. Just keep adding a little and sweeping it in.
Each time you will need less and eventually it will be down to once every
few years.

One trick i've heard of (but not used) is to sweep a little portland
cement into the cracks. Essentially you are making a really weak
concrete. Should be soft enough to scrape out with a stick, but
strong enough to not be washed away.

I imagine it might reduce the drainage properties of the surface.. and
it may have other consequences. Any masons out there know the ins and
outs of this method?

--
be safe.
flip

Old April 19th 05, 04:44 PM
World Traveler

A friend swept mortar into the cracks of his paving block driveway -- which
he had constructed himself, but very professionally. It looked beautiful,
and we're getting ready to test that concept on an enclosed patio to see if
it will also help keep down any weeds that might try to grow in the
cracks. -- Regards

Old April 19th 05, 04:56 PM
Joseph Meehan

Philip Lewis wrote:
"Joseph Meehan" writes:
Likely you need a little finer sand. That said, I think any sand
will do that in the beginning. Just keep adding a little and
sweeping it in. Each time you will need less and eventually it will
be down to once every few years.

One trick i've heard of (but not used) is to sweep a little portland
cement into the cracks. Essentially you are making a really weak
concrete. Should be soft enough to scrape out with a stick, but
strong enough to not be washed away.

I imagine it might reduce the drainage properties of the surface.. and
it may have other consequences. Any masons out there know the ins and
outs of this method?

I have also heard that, but I have not tried it. I would tend to think
that it would work if the mix was not too strong and allowed for movement,
which is the beauty of sand. As it freezes and thaws or moves in other ways
the sand adjust. If repairs are needed a brick or as many as needed can be
removed and reset.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia's Muire duit

Old April 19th 05, 05:19 PM
Goedjn

I have also heard that, but I have not tried it. I would tend to think
that it would work if the mix was not too strong and allowed for movement,
which is the beauty of sand. As it freezes and thaws or moves in other ways
the sand adjust. If repairs are needed a brick or as many as needed can be
removed and reset.

I think that you should take out the bricks, and pour an 8" thick
monolithic slab with rebar and fiberglass, and stamp and die the top
to LOOK like brick.

Old May 10th 05, 12:36 AM
[email protected]

I had the same problem
I've Use Polymetric Sand it will get hard and no longer will be
removed when if rain
http://www.techniseal.com/products.p...=1&langue_Id=1

Remove the sand you have, replace with the polymetric sand like the
one from Techni-Seal, put in the crack 1/2 fill then spay water on in
let it dry for 4 hour then put another
this is specialy for Paver

hope it help