Martin

Default Shower light - GFI?

fixture mounted inside shower (celing mounted) - besides being suitable for
wet location, does it need to be on GFI circuit? Logic says yes, but I
couldn't find it in the code...

thnaks

martin

Charlie Bress

"Martin" wrote in message
fixture mounted inside shower (celing mounted) - besides being suitable
for wet location, does it need to be on GFI circuit? Logic says yes, but
I couldn't find it in the code...

thnaks

martin

Somebody knows the answer, but my take is that you won't/can't touch it
while showering unless you are a whole lot taller than me.

Charlie

Jeff Wisnia

Charlie Bress wrote:

"Martin" wrote in message

fixture mounted inside shower (celing mounted) - besides being suitable
for wet location, does it need to be on GFI circuit? Logic says yes, but
I couldn't find it in the code...

thnaks

martin

Somebody knows the answer, but my take is that you won't/can't touch it
while showering unless you are a whole lot taller than me.

Charlie

I can't see why it would need to be on a GFI if the metal parts of the
fixture are properly connected to the supply ground lead.

I'd expect a good chance of nuisance tripping a GFCI from condensed
moisture if the fixture wasn't perfectly sealed.

When our home was built the electricians powered the Nutone bathroom
ventfans/lights from the output side of the GFCI outlets installed in
each bathroom.

Those GFCI outlets triped after almost every shower steamed up the
bathroom. I moved the feeds for the fan's timed switches to the input
side of those GFCIs and they've been working just fine for the last 20
years.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

schools"
Pat

My fixture said it was rated for use in a shower provided it was on a GFI
circuit. Has worked fine for 13 years.

Speedy Jim

Pat wrote:
My fixture said it was rated for use in a shower provided it was on a GFI
circuit. Has worked fine for 13 years.

And there is the tipoff. It is a UL-listing requirement
for *specific* fixtures, not a Code issue per se.

How a city inspector will handle this kind of thing
is all over the map/.

Jim