Robert11

Default Walk-Behind, Self Propelled, Lawn Mower Questions Re Toro & Craftsman ?

Hello:

New at this lawn mowing "fun".

Need to purchase a mower, of the walk-behind, self propelled type.
Looked a bit at Toro and Craftsman

Re Toro:

Went to look at new walk behind, self propelled mowers at the local Toro
dealer. Really don't want to go much over $300.

He had a "Recycler" model (not the Super Recycler), model 20005 that looks
like it would be a good match for me.

But, he told me it was only one walking speed. Sort of that "it moves, or
doesn't". No variable walking speed. But on looking at their flyer under
Drive System:, it says for this model "Variable Speed, Front Wheel Drive".
(this is Not one of their Personal-Pace models)

So, my questions are, please:

a. Does it have what can be considered a variable walking speed ? If so, how
does one control it ?

b. Does it work well ?

c. Any other opinions on Toro in general ?

Craftsman:
Also looked at the Craftsman 37657 that has what they call a "Vari Speed EZ
Walk" feature.

The Craftsman, for about the same cost, "seems" like a better bet than the
Toro because of this variable speed walking feature that is apparently very
simply controlled by a squeeze handle.

a. Would be appreciative as to opinions on this Craftsman model, and how
well their EZ Walk Feature works ?

b. And, I guess also general opinions on Toro vs Craftsman (in the $300
range) regarding quality, etc.

Thanks,

Bob

Edwin Pawlowski

"Robert11" wrote in message
Hello:

New at this lawn mowing "fun".

Need to purchase a mower, of the walk-behind, self propelled type.
Looked a bit at Toro and Craftsman

Take a good assesment of your lawn. Lots of flat open areas with long walks?
Then the self propelled is a good choice.
Smaller lawn, many trees, gardens, foutains, shrubs to go around? Then
don't get the self propelled as it will be harder to negotiate around a lot
of things.

Re Toro:

Went to look at new walk behind, self propelled mowers at the local Toro
dealer. Really don't want to go much over $300.

Pay me now or pay me later. $300 is minimal for a reliable mower.

c. Any other opinions on Toro in general ?

Never had one, but they have a good reputation.

Craftsman:

The Craftsman, for about the same cost, "seems" like a better bet than the
Toro because of this variable speed walking feature that is apparently
very simply controlled by a squeeze handle.

Craftsman limits your sources on parts to Sears for most things. Just my
opinion, but I'd never buy a Sears branded product unless I knew who the
manufacturer is.

b. And, I guess also general opinions on Toro vs Craftsman (in the $300
range) regarding quality, etc.

I'd put my money on Toro.

Check out John Deere also. They have been very reliable. Mine is about 10
years old and starts on the first pull every time except the first start of
the season when it takes two pulls.

Greg O

"Robert11" wrote in message

Went to look at new walk behind, self propelled mowers at the local Toro
dealer. Really don't want to go much over $300.

He had a "Recycler" model (not the Super Recycler), model 20005 that looks
like it would be a good match for me.

But, he told me it was only one walking speed. Sort of that "it moves, or
doesn't". No variable walking speed. But on looking at their flyer under
Drive System:, it says for this model "Variable Speed, Front Wheel Drive".
(this is Not one of their Personal-Pace models)

I don't think your salesman is up on his product.
http://www.toro.com/home/mowers/recycler/20005.html
Greg

Joseph Meehan

Robert11 wrote:
Hello:

New at this lawn mowing "fun".

Need to purchase a mower, of the walk-behind, self propelled type.
Looked a bit at Toro and Craftsman

Re Toro:

Went to look at new walk behind, self propelled mowers at the local
Toro dealer. Really don't want to go much over $300.

He had a "Recycler" model (not the Super Recycler), model 20005 that
looks like it would be a good match for me.

But, he told me it was only one walking speed. Sort of that "it
moves, or doesn't". No variable walking speed. But on looking at
their flyer under Drive System:, it says for this model "Variable
Speed, Front Wheel Drive". (this is Not one of their Personal-Pace
models)

Bob

Every self propelled I have seen has more than one speed. Yea, even
those that say single speed. On those I have seen those walking speed
controls only change the ratio of walking speed to blade speed. So on a
single speed mower you reduce the engine speed you reduce the walking speed.
When you reduce the walking speed you also reduce the need for mowing speed
since you will be cutting less grass.

I have a multi speed mower and I always leave it on the same speed and
I'll bet most people do.

I suggest you take a trip down to your library and look up the most
recent story in "Consumer Reports" magazine and see what they have to say
about mowers. Read the whole story, not just the ratings so you know why
they think Acme is better than Consolidated.

Other than that, ask if you can take on outside and crank it up and see
how it feels. Does it move at a comfortable pace. does it start easy, does
it change over from mulch to bag easy, etc.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia's Muire duit

Robert Barr

I bought a Craftsman 'variable speed' mower last year. Controlling the
speed was more effort than actually mowing the lawn. If you pull the
bar all the way in, the mower goes so fast it's absurd -- running speed
or better. Trying to find that engagement point, especially with some
bumps in the lawn, was almost impossible. I returned it.

The single-speed Craftsman work well. I used mine for about 8 years
until the engine bit the dust. They have one lever that locks forward
for drive, and release when you let go of the deadman bar. I liked my
old one enough that I bought a new engine instead of a new mower.

Robert11 wrote:
Hello:

New at this lawn mowing "fun".

Need to purchase a mower, of the walk-behind, self propelled type.
Looked a bit at Toro and Craftsman

Gina and Les Armstrong

"Robert11" wrote in message
Hello:

New at this lawn mowing "fun".

Need to purchase a mower, of the walk-behind, self propelled type.
Looked a bit at Toro and Craftsman

The craftsman mower I have now is three years old, it replaced a 10 year old
Craftsman. The new one is a high wheel,self propelled,6.5hp, mulch, bag, or
discharge. Last week I took it out of the garage after 6 months of no use.
I changed the oil, checked the plug gap, sharpened the blade and added fresh
gas. It started on the first pull. It has a "variable speed" that just
controls the RPM of the engine/walk speed. I leave it at full throttle 95%
of the time. I would not hesitate recommending a Craftsman mower.

Les

toller

c. Any other opinions on Toro in general ?

My Toro recycler is 12 years old and starts on the first pull. I have given
it no maintenance (other than oil changes and air filters) and am waiting
for it to die so I can get an electric; but it still works fine.

Think twice about self propelled. They can be more trouble than they are
worth, and lawn mowing is good exercise.

Michael Baugh

Also consider the Honda line.
Even though dragging an electric mower along is almost
like not doing any work at all.

"Robert11" wrote in message
[...]

Steve B.

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 08:57:14 -0400, "Robert11"
wrote:

Hello:

New at this lawn mowing "fun".

Need to purchase a mower, of the walk-behind, self propelled type.
Looked a bit at Toro and Craftsman

My experience with the squeeze to go faster types is that they are
more trouble than they are worth and uncontrollable. It's very hard
to hold the handle at any other position than full on when you are
using the machine.

I have had a Lawnboy for about six years now and it has never had the
first issue. I'm in south FL so it gets worked often and hard with a
ten month mowing season. Between the two options you listed I would
choose the Toro but if buying a new one right now I would also take a
hard look at the Honda mowers. They are a bit more money but seem to
be significantly better than your average bear.

Steve B.
Milwaukee Tom

Bob:

I have a single-speed Honda. When i bought it, like you, I was unsure
about having only one speed. My experience has been similar to others
here. Having one speed has been no problme at all.
Tom

SJF

"Robert11" wrote in message
[...]

I agree with others that, if you're young and husky and have a level yard,
you don't need the mechanical complexity and prospect of earlier need
repairs that go with a self propelled mower. However, I'm not young and
parts of my yard have significant slope. I love that Craftsman with the
squeeze-lever speed control that I bought two years ago. I don't find it
difficult to find the speed that my aging body feels comfortable with. ---
SJF