Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Default Mosquito control -- Standing water: how to drain water from tires.

Maybe I'm missing something but who stores tires on their property? If
for some reason you do, I'm thinking that it would easier to use a
drill with a large bit to make several large holes in the tires for
drainage?

Anthony Matonak

The Bald Ass Prairie Farm rosielle@telus wrote:
"quietguy" wrote in message

much easier to just pop a desertspoon or so of kero in each tyre - stops
the mossies from breeding

Or just soap, they breed and the larva drown.

Or, don't store tires outside in the rain.

Anthony
David W.

" wrote in
oups.com:

Maybe I'm missing something but who stores tires on their property? If
for some reason you do, I'm thinking that it would easier to use a
drill with a large bit to make several large holes in the tires for
drainage?

I'm thinking it'd be easier to get rid of the tires!
Harry K

Anthony Matonak wrote:
The Bald Ass Prairie Farm rosielle@telus wrote:
"quietguy" wrote in

message

much easier to just pop a desertspoon or so of kero in each tyre -

stops
the mossies from breeding

Or just soap, they breed and the larva drown.

Or, don't store tires outside in the rain.

Anthony

And what is that bit about re-cycling?? Never heard of any effort to
set up bins for rubber.

Harry K

Don Phillipson

wrote in message
oups.com...

Maybe I'm missing something but who stores tires on their property? If

So long as it does not dry out (say within 10 days)
a hoof print (of a cow, deer or horse) holds
enough rainwater to support mosquito larvae.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

HOLD ON A MINUTE!!

* FIRST OF ALL: I only had two tires on my property (like most people
have)-- I only cut off two sidewalls: one from each tire. This allowed
water to drain. Yes it was a "small challenge" to cut rubber; yet it
was easier than the gym!!

* SECOND: If recycling parts of the tire material; so as to easily
palce the parts into a recycling bin, I would use a simple template
with a knife in order to efficiently guide, and cut round pieces of
sidewalls.

* THIRD: Communicating on newsgroups can be like the classic story of
the "Six Blind Men and the Elephhant" e.g., where perfectly intelligent
suggestions are misconstrued as stupid!

Drilling several large holes in the sidewalls is an option; even though
the water would drain slowly. Drilling holes into the tread (with steel
belts and all) is difficult and may wear-out the drillbit.

Again, the objective here is to recycle tires. Disposing tires whole
may be difficult; as many landfills do not accept whole tires.
Recycling parts of the tire material (which are valued for recycling
efforts) so as to easily place the parts into a recycling bin is
simplified; by means of a cutting-knife mounted on a simlpe template in
order to efficiently guide, and cut round pieces of sidewalls.

One reply suggested a "time-saving option" of drilling several large
holes; even though the water would drain slowly.

Drilling holes into the tread (with steel belts and all) is difficult
and may wear-out the drillbit. Drilling holes in the sidewalls are
"least problematic."

Again, recycling parts of the tire material (which are valued for
recycling efforts as well as valued for the ease of placing tire-parts
into a recycling bin) is simplified; by means of a cutting-knife
mounted on a simple template in order to efficiently guide, and cut
round pieces of sidewalls.

Tire parts can easily be placed into existing recycling-bins. Since the
sidewalls don't contain embedded steel-belts, the sidwalls would be
valued by recycing industries. "Buyback programs would be an even
better idea than just placing tire parts in recycling bins!"

bjdbrad

Now it seems to me the idiot is the one who stockpiled several thousand
tires so tread (no pun intended) lightly with someone trying to help
you........I used to be in the refuse business and there was a short
period of time when you could actually sell used tires and nimrods like
yourself dove in headfirst and started collecting tires to get rich
quick........problem is you didn't follow the regulations on when the
payments were going to stop.......if you only have several thousand
maybe buy a bunch of rope and start selling tire swings.........ya
think......???......what a jerk......now tell me someone else put those
tires there.........you are just as stupid for not making them remove
them as a condition of sale........good luck Eric and don't be so quick
to treat people trying to help like ****......

Brad

LIFE'S JOURNEY IS NOT TO ARRIVE AT THE GRAVE SAFELY IN A WELL-PRESERVED
BODY, BUT RATHER TO SKID IN SIDEWAYS, TOTALLY WORN OUT, SHOUTING... "
HOLY @#$%... WHAT A RIDE!"

Gary Heston

In article ,
Eric wrote:
wrote:

[ ... ]
Since it is difficult to discard water from tires, one solution is to
cut-off the sidewalls of tires; hence allowing water to drain easily.
This can be done with basic knives available at any hardware and home
improvement stores.

Uh huh, right! and how many sidewalls have you cut? No doubt none!
Idiot, try your own advice before you offer it to others. Lets see
how much you enjoy cutting several thousand sidewalls off of tires.

It's apparently not that difficult. In Pennsylvania, the sidewalls
are popular for weighting down tarps and other covers on farms.

In fact go ahead and try cutting the sidewalls off of just one tire
and see if that doesnt give you something new to think about...

A past poster here was cutting off sidewalls, until she found that
the already-cut tread sections were available for making raised beds
in her garden. That made her life a bit easier, and her garden a lot
bigger...

Gary

--
Gary Heston

Windows is like SUVs; a bad idea, poorly implemented, unsafe, with a
lot of intept users, but a fact of life we have to put up with.
willshak

On 3/24/2005 9:26 AM US(ET), Harry K took fingers to keys, and typed the
following:

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/recycling...rumbrubber.htm

--
Bill

"Tire parts can easily be placed into existing recycling-bins. Since
the
sidewalls don't contain embedded steel-belts, the sidwalls would be
valued by recycing industries. "

What a total moron. Every community that I'm aware of requires
recyclables to be seperated by type. And none of them accept tires or
tire parts as part of the std household recycling stream. Some will
take tires as part of a seperate special program, typically for a fee
and at a drop off location that is entirely seperate from the std
recycling pick up. And those are a headache to get rid of too. In
fact, here in NJ, the state recently instituted a tax on tires to help
pay for getting rid of them, because no one wants them.

Blake

"Anthony Matonak" wrote

Or, don't store tires outside in the rain.

Are you suggesting to store inside in the rain? Or bring them inside when
it's raining?

Anthony Matonak

Blake wrote:
"Anthony Matonak" wrote
Or, don't store tires outside in the rain.

Are you suggesting to store inside in the rain? Or bring them inside when
it's raining?

Why store tires at all? What are you saving them for? How many tires do
you have that you can't find a place for them under some kind of cover?
You don't have a tire dump in the state? You don't have a garage, barn,
shed, tarp, or anything else?

I see this kind of "question" along the same lines of "How do you keep
your meth lab from blowing up?" and "The stack of old car batteries in
my back yard is starting to leak into my cesspool, what can I do?".

Anthony
The Real Bev

Anthony Matonak wrote:

Blake wrote:
"Anthony Matonak" wrote
Or, don't store tires outside in the rain.

Are you suggesting to store inside in the rain? Or bring them inside when
it's raining?

Why store tires at all? What are you saving them for? How many tires do
you have that you can't find a place for them under some kind of cover?
You don't have a tire dump in the state? You don't have a garage, barn,
shed, tarp, or anything else?

It's good to keep one or two wheel-less tires around to tie to the front
or back of a car when you need to use one to push another.

I see this kind of "question" along the same lines of "How do you keep
your meth lab from blowing up?" and "The stack of old car batteries in
my back yard is starting to leak into my cesspool, what can I do?".

You've been spying in my neighborhood :-( You're wrong about the
cesspool, though, we were on city sewers long before we moved in 37
years ago. We did have a lab blow up up the street, though. Or maybe
it was just a small fire. Anyway, the hazmat team was there.

--
Cheers,
Bev

"Here in CA, most types of clean waste (styrofoam one of the
exceptions)
can be placed (and mixed-in) the recycling bins e.g., all the different

types of paper, plastics, metals, etc. Nothing has been said about
rubber or tire-parts. "

The fact that nothing has been said about tire parts or rubber pretty
much tells you that they don't want them in the recyclables, doesn't
it? I'm sure no one is regularly chopping up tires and putting them in
with the other standard recyclables. And if they did, what do you
think would happen to it when it gets to the recycling facility? Most
likely, it would get chucked into the stuff headed for the land fill.

I also find it interesting that in your area of CA you can just mix all
the recyclables together. It's very unusual to see paper mixed with
glass, cans etc. I would think this would make a big mess to try to
sort out. More typical is to have it seperated:

newpaper
mixed other paper
glass/cans/plastic

And event these typically have some restricitions. For example, glass
means containers, not window glass, and as you pointed out, plastic
means household containers, not styrofoam, etc. Some also require
glass seperated from metals.

Speaking of recycling, tire-recycling initiatives can get a boost; as
the sidewalls of tires (easily available in tire parts) do not contain
steel belts, which may make sidewalls valued for ease of
recycling.(snip)

There is often a steel cable embedded underneath the bead of the
sidewall.
One of the recycling technologies used for tires these days is to burn
them for the heat they generate, in a furnace designed for making
limestone into cement powder. It is efficient, with the ash becoming
part of the cement.
Years ago, I remember seeing tire treads cut and shaped into soles of
sandals made in Mexico. There was also a company here in the US that
made used inner tubes into purses and wallets. I don't know if they're
still around.
Steel belts have certainly complicated the recycling of tires, for
which there used to be a good market.-Jitney

"Here in CA, most types of clean waste (styrofoam one of the
exceptions)
can be placed (and mixed-in) the recycling bins e.g., all the

different

types of paper, plastics, metals, etc. Nothing has been said about
rubber or tire-parts. "

The fact that nothing has been said about tire parts or rubber pretty
much tells you that they don't want them in the recyclables, doesn't
it? I'm sure no one is regularly chopping up tires and putting them

in
with the other standard recyclables. And if they did, what do you
think would happen to it when it gets to the recycling facility?

Most
likely, it would get chucked into the stuff headed for the land fill.

Inquired to the agency that oversees recycling; tire-pieces cannot be
treated as rubber-scrap (even though rubber scrap takes-up over
ninety-percent less space than a "bulky tire").

I also find it interesting that in your area of CA you can just mix

all
the recyclables together. It's very unusual to see paper mixed with
glass, cans etc. I would think this would make a big mess to try to
sort out. More typical is to have it seperated:

newpaper
mixed other paper
glass/cans/plastic

To clarify: The "usually observed rule" is to put different materials
into different bags (even placing office-grade paper in separate bags).

And event these typically have some restricitions. For example,

glass
means containers, not window glass, and as you pointed out, plastic
means household containers, not styrofoam, etc. Some also require
glass seperated from metals.

As for the "tire-parts" i.e., rubber scrap, will the local tire shop
ocassionally waive the used-tire fee and accept tire scraps?

scordelia

Why do you tires on your property, outside? Your neighbors must be
thrilled!

scordelia wrote:
Why do you tires on your property, outside? Your neighbors must be
thrilled!

I only had two tires that I stacked and used as a solar-heated planter.

The Real Bev

"Scott en Aztlán" wrote:

On 28 Mar 2005 11:36:28 -0800, wrote:

I also find it interesting that in your area of CA you can just mix all
the recyclables together. It's very unusual to see paper mixed with
glass, cans etc. I would think this would make a big mess to try to
sort out. More typical is to have it seperated:

newpaper
mixed other paper
glass/cans/plastic

To clarify: The "usually observed rule" is to put different materials
into different bags (even placing office-grade paper in separate bags).

I've never observed that rule. In fact, I've never heard of it.

I've heard of it being done that way, but I certainly wouldn't be willing to
go to that much trouble -- probably what everybody else thought too. We (as a
city) pay extra to have stuff recycled. What that means is that we have fewer
than 5 gallons of trash to pay for every week, which is not bad.

I have always tossed all the recyclables into the barrel together.
Cans and bottles are usually thrown in loose, newspapers are often
(but not always) placed inside paper grocery bags, and shredded office
paper is contained in plastic garbage bags. Waste Management has never
complained.

Everything -- paper, plastic, metal, glass -- gets tossed loose into the
recycling bin, which is picked up by one of those huge automated trucks.
Every once in a while there's a picture in the paper of conveyor belts filled
with trash being sorted by white-garbed and -masked workers. I guess there
are worse jobs, but I wouldn't want one any more than the welfare louts do.

I wonder how they deal with all the broken glass, which it almost has to be by
the time the truck is nearly full.

--
Cheers,
Bev

Scott en Aztl=E1n wrote:
[...]

In fact, although "Single Stream" recycling is mentioned on their web
site,

http://www.wastemanagement.com/WM/services/homes.asp

I was able to find no menton of this "usually observed rule."

The "usually observed rule" is "usually unwritten" e.g., an
understanding which some people observe, and some people do not
observe.

Maybe being located in a region; which possibly has had excellent
results in keeping as much waste as possibile from the landfills, is
why enough of us keep different recyclable wastes as separated as
possible.
--
When are you people going to wake up to the fact that rebates are a

SCAM?
Whatever!

OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 06:52 AM
Water Softeners, good or bad?? Martin Hirsch Home Repair 23 July 14th 04 04:27 AM
Flushing / Cleaning Hot Water Heater Help Needed Cuse Home Repair 38 December 1st 03 03:01 AM
Why is this a bad idea? Mike Hibbert UK diy 18 August 29th 03 12:59 AM
hot water recirculator, instant hot water but not a water heating unit, saves water, gas, time, money HeatMan Home Repair 0 August 24th 03 01:26 PM