Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Tony

Default Granite kitchen countertop

Good day everyone,

I am from Ontario Canada and just purchased a new home.
I do not want to disclose the builders name just yet, but I may do so later
on depending on how they handle the situation.
We upgraded our countertops to granite and on one side of the kitchen, they
have used two slabs rather than one. I know they can do this, I am perfectly
fine with it, but the problem that I have is that, where the seem is, there
is a significant amount of color differential, thus the seem stands out
badly and makes it look kind of not so pleasant.
The question that I have is the following:
Has anyone had a similar experience? If so, what was the outcome and what
should my expectations be?
I have asked for this to be fixed, either by matching it or by replacing the
entire thing with a single slab.

I thank everyone in advance for your replies.

Tony

Jeffrey

In article ,
"Tony" wrote:

[...]

We have moved into our new home with new granite countertop and have the
same experience. It does have a color difference even though the
granite was bought in the same store. The slab that is more dark is
close to the sink so it gets wet most of the time and doesn't bother us
at all. For us, it became a cosmetic issue so we'll just have to live
with it.

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 20:24:02 -0500, someone wrote:

We upgraded our countertops to granite and on one side of the kitchen, they
have used two slabs rather than one. I know they can do this, I am perfectly
fine with it, but the problem that I have is that, where the seem is, there
is a significant amount of color differential, thus the seem stands out

I am in the U.S. so take that into consideration.

Granite being a natural material it varies in color.

How long is the counter, slabs only comes so long to start with, PLUS
too long a single slab will be too prone to breakage. The house can
settle or the floors flex from loading and a very long piece might not
be able to take it.

Unless there is some specific specification inyour contract, which I
dubt exists, there could be a "normal" or "commercially acceptable"
variation from slab to slab. I suppose you could try to go to court
and let a judge decide - up where you are, are legal fees "loser
pays"? Does it say that in your contract even if not the general
default (this is common in US builder contracts).

If the degree of match is really really important to a person, they
should get this spelled out in writing. But then you may not find
anyone willing to take on the job. The other thing is to let you pick
the slabs yourself. That's what we did. Went down to the fabricator
and they took us out back and we picked.