Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Bill

Default My Wonderful Stihl Chainsaw...

I just had to say something to all you homeowners with fireplaces out
there in cyberspace. Years ago I bought an American made McCullough
chainsaw to cut firewood and the piece of **** blew up after maybe ten
hours of use. Eight years ago I forked out $700 for a German made
Stihl chainsaw...damn near had to get a divorce over it the wife
raised so much hell about me spending that much money on the chainsaw.
I've pretty much had it just sitting in the closet for the last three
years. I got it out yesterday to cut down three big trees. When I
filled it with gas it cranked on the first pull. I cut down and sliced
up three big trees that were at least 14 inch diameter at the base.

Yesterday's chores alone made my Stihl Chainsaw pay for itself.

I like my Stihl chainsaw!

Bill

G Mulcaster

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 19:17:37 GMT, Bill
wrote:

I just had to say something to all you homeowners with fireplaces out
there in cyberspace. Years ago I bought an American made McCullough
chainsaw to cut firewood and the piece of **** blew up after maybe ten
hours of use. Eight years ago I forked out $700 for a German made
Stihl chainsaw...damn near had to get a divorce over it the wife
raised so much hell about me spending that much money on the chainsaw.
I've pretty much had it just sitting in the closet for the last three
years. I got it out yesterday to cut down three big trees. When I
filled it with gas it cranked on the first pull. I cut down and sliced
up three big trees that were at least 14 inch diameter at the base.

Yesterday's chores alone made my Stihl Chainsaw pay for itself.

I like my Stihl chainsaw!

I purchased my Stihl 028 in 1983. It has never let me down

Gary.
Please remove XXX in email address if email reply is desired.
Harry K

Bill wrote:
[...]

Curious here. Just what model is it? A $700 saw to cut 18" diameter
trees sounds like a bunch of overkill. I run two Stihls and a Husky
cutting firewood. Most expensive is the new Stihl ms310 20" bar (about
$350 2003) which does 90% of the work cutting stuff from 16" through
30".
Other saws used for stuff under/over that.

Harry K

Bill

On 13 Mar 2005 18:33:13 -0800, "Harry K"
wrote:

Curious here. Just what model is it? A $700 saw to cut 18" diameter
trees sounds like a bunch of overkill. I run two Stihls and a Husky
cutting firewood. Most expensive is the new Stihl ms310 20" bar (about
$350 2003) which does 90% of the work cutting stuff from 16" through
30".
Other saws used for stuff under/over that.

Harry K

Hey Harry,
My Stihl is a model 038 Farm Boss...it's a good one! You know, they
say the Germans aren't making cars of the high quality they used to
but they definitely know how to build a rugged chainsaw...

Bill

Harry K

wrote:

Curious here. Just what model is it? A $700 saw to cut 18"

diameter
trees sounds like a bunch of overkill. I run two Stihls and a Husky
cutting firewood. Most expensive is the new Stihl ms310 20" bar

(about
$350 2003) which does 90% of the work cutting stuff from 16" through
30".
Other saws used for stuff under/over that.

Harry K

Hey Harry,
My Stihl is a model 038 Farm Boss...it's a good one! You know, they
say the Germans aren't making cars of the high quality they used to
but they definitely know how to build a rugged chainsaw...

Bill

That's for sure. AFAIK the current Stihls are built in US, at least
those being sold here. My 'big' saw is the 041. Both yours and mine
(don't know about the 038) has a reputation for shaking bolts loose. I
haven't had that problem...yet. Will be off to my woodpatch in another
day or two for some cleanup and removing stumps cutting them ALAP (As
Low As Possible) without cutting dirt.

Harry K

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 19:17:37 GMT, someone wrote:

filled it with gas it cranked on the first pull. I cut down and sliced
up three big trees that were at least 14 inch diameter at the base.

Yesterday's chores alone made my Stihl Chainsaw pay for itself.

I like my Stihl chainsaw!

I like my Husky, I believe its 65cc. I have 18 inch and 24 inch bars
for it. We have "pines" (really hemlock) here that you can barely get
thru with a 24" bar cutting from "both sides" (does something round
have "sides"?). A 14" diameter tree isn't very big in the scheme of
things but will make an impressive crash for a homeowner if the tree
is tall. Heck, you can cut a 14" tree from one side with a 16" bar.

I also have a small arborist's Echo for limbing. Really cuts down on
the fatigue factor for the small stuff and branches, and safer too
(shorter bar means tip less likely to be shoved into unintended things
when cutting thru leafy debris).

One of our sons has a similar class Stihl and likes it alot. However
none of these saws was anywhere close to $700. More like the $400
range for the biger ones.

A chainsaw is one of my favorite toys, but misuse can kill you - not
from the saw itself but from being crushed under limbs or whole trees.

Dana Miller

wrote:

[...]

My Stihl says something like "Made in Va Beach Va, USA" on it somewhere.
Whoda thunk it? I drag it out once every few years now that we've moved
away from the trees (snif). "Common wisdon" when I got my saw 13 years
ago was that Stihl set the standard everyone else tried to meet.

--
Dana Miller
TURTLE

"Harry K" wrote in message
oups.com...

Bill wrote:
[...]

This is Turtle

They have the MS-660 [ 7.0 H.P. ] with standard Bars of 16" to 36" and a MS-880
[8.5 H.P. ] with standard bars from 21" to 41" . With Both retailing about
$800.00 to $1K each. Your MS-310 with 4 H.P. which I have and like it very much.

TURTLE

Harry K

TURTLE wrote:
"Harry K" wrote in message
oups.com...

Bill wrote:
[...]

Yes the 310 is a nice consumer grade saw. Some new design things on
the new Stihls are great, others not so hot:

The quick opening/closing fuel/oil caps - great. Better would have
been to put the openings on a higher boss so you could wipe the crude
away before opeing them.

The single lever switch/choke etc. Lousy. It is almost impossible to
shut the saw off with one hand. The switch operates backwards from
sstandard switch design. Off is UP when almost all toggle switches
have up-ON. All my other saws have had toggle switches that I could
flick with one finger DOWN and the saw was off.

Harry K

jurgen jorgenson

Bill wrote:
I just had to say something to all you homeowners with fireplaces out
there in cyberspace. Years ago I bought an American made McCullough
chainsaw to cut firewood and the piece of **** blew up after maybe ten
hours of use. Eight years ago I forked out $700 for a German made
Stihl chainsaw...damn near had to get a divorce over it the wife
raised so much hell about me spending that much money on the chainsaw.
I've pretty much had it just sitting in the closet for the last three
years. I got it out yesterday to cut down three big trees. When I
filled it with gas it cranked on the first pull. I cut down and sliced
up three big trees that were at least 14 inch diameter at the base.

Yesterday's chores alone made my Stihl Chainsaw pay for itself.

I like my Stihl chainsaw!

Bill

In my former life I was a logger in coastal BC, there you saw only 2
saws being used, Stihl and Husky. There was the odd person used
Homelites or something else but they were few & far between. Stihl was
always my personal favorite, even with me being a swede & all, but the
"Husky" was as good a saw.

Besides, the Stihl calenders were something to behold!

Harry K

The land of the big sticks. I first started fooling around (homeowner)
back in the 50s. Then the king was gear drive Macs. Later direct
drive Homelights. My first experience with a saw was as the outboard
guy on a a 4' bar Mall. Took two men and a dumb boy (me) to pack that
thing.

Harry K

Which chainsaw? Phisherman Woodturning 37 May 15th 05 02:23 PM
Chainsaw attachment for slabbing lumber Todd Woodworking 5 October 4th 04 05:24 PM
FS: Stihl Chainsaw MS280 TerryB UK diy 0 March 11th 04 04:23 PM
stihl 021 chainsaw won't start, unless pulled 62 times daily for 6 days bill yohler Home Repair 20 January 30th 04 12:31 AM
Stabilized ChainSaw Bar?? Accuracy needed. MrMercedes Metalworking 2 July 14th 03 10:11 AM