Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Default Whats the best garage door opener????

Anyone can tell me where to buy a genie garage door opener with good
price? I'm in GTA. Thanks.
Bill Rubin wrote:
In , (Andrew

Hume 9234-81373 0112710) writes:
i just installed new garage door openers (genie 9550's from
builders square) and while they are quiet, the noise they make is
dominated by the noise (mostly transmitted by conduction) of the

door itself.

andrew hume

p.s. i do like the genie, and particularly like the fact that a

single
remote can control both doors independently. (can do 3 actually.)

I just had a couple of Sears openers installed and while they aren't

silent
they are definitely quieter than the 20+ year old models they

replaced.
The guy who installed the openers said I should have replaced the

doors
first (I am planning to, but they are on order) because the old doors

and
tracks will not do good things for the new openers. It turns out

that one
door is in worse shape than the other, so I won't use the 2nd one

until
it's replaced (just as well, I don't generally open it anyway).

Also, I'm
not sure that completely silent openers are an improvement. One of

the old
openers had a bad habit of opening on its own, generally at 11:30 at

night
(I tried changing the code but it still opened so I just unplugged

it. The
guy who installed the new openers said that sometimes it can be due

aircraft? Dunno). In any event, I heard the door opening at 11:30

and
went to check it out. If I had not heard it opening, I would have

ended up
with the door open all night.

I did want to say that the new Sears 3 function transmitters can also

open
3 doors independently. In fact, even the new wireless outside keypad

can
control 2 (maybe more) different doors with different codes. I

thought
that was pretty impressive. It's also relatively easy to reprogram

the
remotes, you just push a program button on the opener and then push

the
button on the remote and the opener learns that remote. You can also

erase
all of the codes. This is a vast improvement from the old dip switch

deal!
I am probably going to end up reprogramming them because the

installer left
me with the mini-remote that I got as a bonus for one of the doors
programmed to the wrong opener, plus for simplicity I will probably

program
the large button on all 3 of the full size remotes to be the first

door and
the middle button (smaller) to be the 2nd door. That way I don't

have to
wonder which opener I am using.

PS I don't really need all 3 full size remotes, I would be willing to

trade
one for an indoor panel with the light and lock buttons (one of the

openers
only came with a little doorbell button to open/close, I had to take

that
to get the mini-remote as part of the package).

-- Bill