Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Westcoast Sheri

Default Hot Water Heater High Pitched Sound

In my laundry room, I've been hearing an *extremely faint* high pitched
sound. It is so high pitched and faint, I almost couldn't tell where it
was coming from. Finally, I determined it was coming from my 8 year old
gas hot water heater.
I then noticed that when I touched/bumped/jiggled the, "relief valve,"
pipe coming out of the side of the hot water heater, the high-pitched
sound changed a bit.
So...... perhaps the high-pitched sound is just a tiny bit of air coming
out of the relief valve pipe?
Anything to worry about????

John A. Weeks III

In article ,
Westcoast Sheri wrote:

In my laundry room, I've been hearing an *extremely faint* high pitched
sound. It is so high pitched and faint, I almost couldn't tell where it
was coming from. Finally, I determined it was coming from my 8 year old
gas hot water heater.
I then noticed that when I touched/bumped/jiggled the, "relief valve,"
pipe coming out of the side of the hot water heater, the high-pitched
sound changed a bit.
So...... perhaps the high-pitched sound is just a tiny bit of air coming
out of the relief valve pipe?
Anything to worry about????

Yes, this could be something to worry about. The relief valve
opens if there is too much pressure or too much temperature in
the water heater. If the valve doesn't function properly, you
could have the water heater break, which could be dangerous and
certainly would make a huge costly mess.

Many people do not routinely exercise their relief valve.
As a result, it can become sticky and fail to operate
properly.

You could have one of three things...

1) the valve has failed, and is letting out pressure even
though the pressure and temperature is normal.

2) the valve is operating normally, and you are on the
edge of having too much pressure.

3) the valve has failed, and is struggling to relieve
a dangerously high internal pressure level.

There are a number of reasons for abnormal pressure. It
could be water "backflow" into the water heater. It could
be too high of input water pressure. It could also be a
heating element that is stuck on that is getting the water
too hot. The latter should show up on your gas bill.

You do need to get this looked at. If you are not qualified,
get someone who is. If this thing blows, it could send
scalding hot water all over your house or cause water damage
throughout your house.

BTW, water heaters typically last about 7 years. Yours is
due for replacement. You can get a new one installed for
less than $200. That might be cheaper than a service call
for a plumber to look at this one, and a new one might be
more efficient and save you money in the long run. If you
do change it, look at electric storage water heaters. Many
utilities will help pay for them, and then put you on off
peak metering to get the ultra-cheap electric rates.

-john-

John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708
Newave Communications
http://www.johnweeks.com
Dave Balderstone

In article , Westcoast Sheri
wrote:

Finally, I determined it was coming from my 8 year old
gas hot water heater.

Hot water heater?

If the water's already hot, why do you need to heat it?

Odd...
KLS

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 20:59:23 -0600, "John A. Weeks III"
wrote:

BTW, water heaters typically last about 7 years. Yours is
due for replacement. You can get a new one installed for
less than $200.

Really? Where do you live that you can get a brand new water heater
installed at this unbelievably low price? A decent water heater, like
an AOSmith or Bradford White, is going to cost close to $200 alone, if
not more, plus the labor to install a gas model would be $80 minimum.
I paid my plumber $518 to install a 6-yr-warrantied B-W 40-gallon
natural gas water heater with all parts and labor. $200 in my area
(WNY), only if I installed a cheapie myself.

Water heater leak? Jim Z Home Repair 1 July 18th 04 01:57 PM
Power cost of idle electric water heater Phil Sherrod Home Repair 57 April 2nd 04 10:51 PM
Thankless or Tankless hot water heaters [email protected] Home Repair 6 January 29th 04 03:01 AM
Electric Water Heater Problem, Repair or Buy new, please help Robert Home Repair 10 January 10th 04 01:09 AM