Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

JeffJefferies

Default Concrete cutting with Circular Saw?

I want to install a floor drain in my basement and was wondering. Because
it would be no more than a 12x12 cut out can I just get a special blade and
use my circular saw? I don't want to trash the saw but if it is really not
a big deal I would rather use my saw then rent a pro one.

Any help appreciated -

Speedy Jim

JeffJefferies wrote:

I want to install a floor drain in my basement and was wondering. Because
it would be no more than a 12x12 cut out can I just get a special blade and
use my circular saw? I don't want to trash the saw but if it is really not
a big deal I would rather use my saw then rent a pro one.

Any help appreciated -

Yes, you can use a masonry abrasive blade or maybe a diamond blade.
It will make a *lot* of dust!! Unless you can wet it down (diamond)
but I'd be a little concerned about the saw and safety.

In the end you may be better off renting a wet-saw.

Jim
Harry K

I would go for a roto-hammer with drill bits and chisels. A diamond
saw makes one H.... of a mess and the noise is nothing to sneeze at.
Your idea to use your own and a masonry blade is a non-starter. You
will be throwing it away before the job is half done and I doubt if you
can saw a 4" slab with it to begin with.

Harry K

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 00:16:19 GMT, someone wrote:

I want to install a floor drain in my basement and was wondering. Because
it would be no more than a 12x12 cut out can I just get a special blade and
use my circular saw?

I'm only half way with you. Sure you can get a masonry blade; if you
get abrasive blades you are going to use up a lot of them. But a std
homeowner's 7-1/4 inch saw will only cut about 2-1/2 inches deep
anyway.

So you (partially) cut out a square - then you'll still need to rent
the jackhammer to break out the rest. Your starting saw cuts can make
the result look neater from the top. But since you will be renting a
tool anyway, plus doing a lot of work in two stages, maybe you could
look into how much it is to rent the big saw needed to do the complete
job in one stage?

-v.

Mark Barrett

JeffJefferies wrote:
I want to install a floor drain in my basement and was wondering. Because
it would be no more than a 12x12 cut out can I just get a special blade and
use my circular saw? I don't want to trash the saw but if it is really not
a big deal I would rather use my saw then rent a pro one.

I recently moved a drain in my basement over 18". This involved cutting
a slot about 6" wide in the 4" thick basement concrete slab. Using a 4"
cold chisel allows scoring of the concrete to get a relatively clean line.
The concrete is then broken up using a small sledge hammer. Using a saw
at about a 1/2" depth might give similar results with a very clean edge.
There is no need to rent a jack hammer for such a small job.
Mark