Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Dom

Default new asphalt driveway - in January????

I just purchased my new home in NJ in November and received a letter
from my home owners insurance company that I have to repave the
driveway by the end of March 2005 otherwise, they will drop my
insurance siting liability risk. The insurance company wont provide an
extension period for me to complete the job.

The middle of the driveway is crumbling and does need to be fixed,
however, I am concerned that doing it between now and March would be a
bad idea because of the cold temps and constant dampness outside.

Is doing this job in the winter such a terrible thing - and - what
kinds of problems can I expect if I must get this done now?
Any advice, experience would be great!
Thanks!
Dom

Charles Spitzer

"Dom" wrote in message
oups.com...
I just purchased my new home in NJ in November and received a letter
from my home owners insurance company that I have to repave the
driveway by the end of March 2005 otherwise, they will drop my
insurance siting liability risk. The insurance company wont provide an
extension period for me to complete the job.

find a different insurance company

The middle of the driveway is crumbling and does need to be fixed,
however, I am concerned that doing it between now and March would be a
bad idea because of the cold temps and constant dampness outside.

Is doing this job in the winter such a terrible thing - and - what
kinds of problems can I expect if I must get this done now?
Any advice, experience would be great!
Thanks!
Dom

John A. Weeks III

In article .com,
"Dom" wrote:

I just purchased my new home in NJ in November and received a letter
from my home owners insurance company that I have to repave the
driveway by the end of March 2005 otherwise, they will drop my
insurance siting liability risk. The insurance company wont provide an
extension period for me to complete the job.

The middle of the driveway is crumbling and does need to be fixed,
however, I am concerned that doing it between now and March would be a
bad idea because of the cold temps and constant dampness outside.

You cannot repave a driveway if the ground is frozen. There
is no way to adjust the grade properly, and any new base
material that is brought in will not knit with the frozen
dirt. As a result, a hot-mix paving job is out of the
question.

You do have the option of patching the part that is damaged.
There is a type of blacktop called "cold mix" that can be
used for patching in the winter. Highway departments use
it to fill potholes. Perhaps you can do a fix with the
cold mix, then do a total overlay with hot mix next summer.

-john-

John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708
Newave Communications
http://www.johnweeks.com
Punch

"Dom" wrote in message
oups.com...
I just purchased my new home in NJ in November and received a letter
from my home owners insurance company that I have to repave the
driveway by the end of March 2005 otherwise, they will drop my
insurance siting liability risk. The insurance company wont provide an
extension period for me to complete the job.

The middle of the driveway is crumbling and does need to be fixed,
however, I am concerned that doing it between now and March would be a
bad idea because of the cold temps and constant dampness outside.

tear up the driveway and use crushed lime stone level it and when spring
comes do the paving.

Rich Greenberg

In article .com,
Dom wrote:
I just purchased my new home in NJ in November and received a letter
from my home owners insurance company that I have to repave the
driveway by the end of March 2005 otherwise, they will drop my
insurance siting liability risk. The insurance company wont provide an
extension period for me to complete the job.

The middle of the driveway is crumbling and does need to be fixed,
however, I am concerned that doing it between now and March would be a
bad idea because of the cold temps and constant dampness outside.

Ask the insurance company to recommend a repair company that will
guarantee thier work.

Dom

I like the last 2 ideas! I will do the last suggestion followed by the
prior (to do the gravel now and pave when it gets warmer in the
spring). Thanks again for all your quick replies.

Dom

On 13 Jan 2005 18:28:00 -0500, someone wrote:

Ask the insurance company to recommend a repair company that will
guarantee thier work.

And if they won't......?

My driveway is not paved at all, never has been, but I guess that is
different from OP's situation where he has a broken up paved driveway
that the insur co thinks is a hazard.

-v.

how to remove asphalt driveway Nancy Drew Home Repair 10 September 29th 04 02:59 AM
Asphalt Driveway PHroGman Home Repair 2 March 22nd 04 07:00 PM
What driveway deicer to use on asphalt driveway? sams Home Repair 2 December 8th 03 11:38 PM
help, concrete driveway rising up lucy Home Repair 6 November 16th 03 11:32 AM
driveway storm drain getting clogged with dirt Rachel Smith Home Repair 1 August 26th 03 09:14 AM