Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Where oh where to put an ouside dryer vent from below ground

Old December 12th 04, 07:36 PM
Wally

Default Where oh where to put an ouside dryer vent from below ground

My dryer is in my basement laundry room which is below ground. There
is not enough room/space to drill a 4" round opening to (or from) the
outside for a dryer vent. At the very top of the basement wall (which
is made of cinder blocks) there is a 9" header I think you call it.
Even this header wood is mostly below ground level.

There is a window on the wall behind the dryer but the window is just
below ground level. The window leads out to a window well on my patio
which is covered by a steel grate.

One option which I really don't want to do is to take out one of the
two side-by-side pieces of window glass and replace it with plexyglass
with a cut out for the 4" round dryer vent. This would route the hot
air out into the window well but, over time, all of the dryer lint
would coat the inside bricks of the window well. Probably the outside
of the remaining window glass too. There'd be no good way to clean it
if that happened.

Most all drier vent tubes are flexible aluminum or plastic in a 4"
diameter. There is a possibility that if I didn't have to use the 4"
venting pipe/tube I'd be able to drill a small hole in the wood header
near the window. But even if I did, the vent would be just above the
patio slate.

There's got to be a way to vent my dryer to the outside, but my
basement is entirely below ground and there's no path to get outside
other than through the top of the header.
Are there smaller diameter hoses that I could use to dead-end into a
smaller vent cover that could be mounted outside?
Any, and I mean ANY, suggestions are most appreciated.

Thanks,
Walter

Old December 12th 04, 07:55 PM
james

"Wally" wrote in message
[...]

Look again at what you call header ( technically called an _outside rim
joist_). If that is below ground level, the vent is the least of your
worries (think termites & or water infiltration, rot etc.) You say the
window is just below ground level, the outside rim joist will run above the
window on the sill plate (flat 2"x more than likely 8"). The hole can be
cut in the outside rim joist (the upright 2"x material).

Old December 12th 04, 08:03 PM
wayne

you could put any size hole in the side that equaled the same size as a 4" .

What kind of heat do you have no furnace in the basement ? What have you
been doing. Where does your phone power come into the house?

If you can get the vent outside you could always use PVC and bury it so it
came out someplace else and use and inverted J for the vent

Wayne

oups.com...

Old December 12th 04, 08:52 PM
[email protected]

James is, I think, correct about problems with wood below ground.
Wayne has a good idea that will, I think, take some working out.
Check your vertical dimensions again.
TB

Old December 13th 04, 06:37 AM
gary

I was thinking along the same lines as wayne. It you made your hole and
then put 4" (or bigger) of CPVC through it and then filled the space around
the pipe with hydraulic cement and then sent it wherever you wanted
underground and then come up - remembering distance means air resistance
keep it to a reasonable length. Then put your tin from the dryer up to the
CPVC. Don't use CPVC right from the dryer.

I did the same thing to get a water drain out to my detached garage. Before
backfilling tar the heck out of the area around the pipe as it comes through
the concrete.

oups.com...

Old December 13th 04, 04:13 PM
jstp

One solution would be to put a wider window well outside and have a 4" hole
drilled just beside the window. This is the solution I used at my place. The
lint collects mostly at the bottom of the well, quite easy to clean.

Old December 13th 04, 04:45 PM
[email protected]

Whatever you do, just keep in mind that you are probably going to want
to clean it periodically.

Old December 13th 04, 07:24 PM
someone

Will the walter flow to the basment through the pipe if there
is a heavy rain storm when the well gets flooded?

Will you have to shovel off the snow if the outlet is near the
grade and house?

Old December 13th 04, 11:40 PM
Walter Cohen

I have a gas hot water heating system (the registers just contain fins and
hot water is pushed through pipes to the fins to heat the air).

Phone lines come into the basement also but a good 20 feet from the dryer.

If you are saying I could make any size opening (i.e. 2" - 3") then maybe
I'll look for a reducing coupling at my local HD to attach to the 4" vent
flexible tubing.

I like the idea off an inverted J. The opening would come very close to the
patio bluestone slate and I'd prefer to have the hot air/lint get exhausted
several inches off of the patio slate. I'd have to rig some sort of closing
mechanism with a screen to keep out varmints/insects.

Thanks,
Walter

"wayne" wrote in message
you could put any size hole in the side that equaled the same size as a 4"

..

What kind of heat do you have no furnace in the basement ? What have you
been doing. Where does your phone power come into the house?

If you can get the vent outside you could always use PVC and bury it so

it
came out someplace else and use and inverted J for the vent

Wayne

oups.com...