Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

David Smith

Default How accurate are land surveys in new tract development in California?

Our tract builder didn't leave any visible markers on where our land
corners are, and we are thinking about putting in a new fence, and so
I'm considering having a land survey done for peace of mind.

Q: If I hire a company to find my boundaries, how accurate are they?
Are they within 1/10", 1/4", 1/2"...?

Q: Any suggestions on how to find the best and most accurate company
to do the work?

Q: If I find the metal pole in the ground, would my property line be
dead center on that pole?

Q: If our land plots state that my foundation is 11 feet from the line
and my neighbor's is 6 feet from the line, does that always mean that
the property line should be right there +/- some error?
Rich Greenberg

In article ,
David Smith wrote:
Our tract builder didn't leave any visible markers on where our land
corners are, and we are thinking about putting in a new fence, and so
I'm considering having a land survey done for peace of mind.

Q: If I hire a company to find my boundaries, how accurate are they?
Are they within 1/10", 1/4", 1/2"...?

Ask the surveyors.

Q: Any suggestions on how to find the best and most accurate company
to do the work?

Yellow pages, or ask your Real Estate broker.
Or ask the builder who they used, they might be able to provide a survey
map from thier files.

Q: If I find the metal pole in the ground, would my property line be
dead center on that pole?

Probably
At least within the accuracy of the survey.
Look for copper tacks or nails in the curbs or sidewalks.

Q: If our land plots state that my foundation is 11 feet from the line
and my neighbor's is 6 feet from the line, does that always mean that
the property line should be right there +/- some error?

If both were surveyed and measured accurately.
Are the 2 foundations 17 feet apart?

--
Rich Greenberg N6LRT Marietta, GA, USA richgr atsign panix.com + 1 770 321 6507
Eastern time zone. I speak for myself & my dogs only. VM'er since CP-67

On 5 Dec 2004 10:27:43 -0800, someone wrote:

Q: If I hire a company to find my boundaries, how accurate are they?
Are they within 1/10", 1/4", 1/2"...?

Less than an inch, how important is it? It oughta be less than an
inch on a small lot, it would likely be by a proportional amount to
the lengths surveyed, not by a fixed amount. Fences by one owner are
customarily put 6" inside in my area, maybe 1 foot if a long line.
Even if a shared fence is gonna be "on the line", well, digging holes
in the ground, how close do you actually think they care to be? Not
1/4 inch!

Q: Any suggestions on how to find the best and most accurate company
to do the work?

No, and why do you need the "most" accurate. What if somebody would
survey it to the tenth of an inch for $1,000 and another one would do
it to 1/4 inch for $500? Is it really necessary to get the "most"
accurate?

Q: If I find the metal pole in the ground, would my property line be
dead center on that pole?

NO. It "should" be. But what if the guy hit a rock while driving the
pin? Go ahead and ask surveyors how they handle the differences
between "monuments" and measurements. I am serious. This is a real
subject. Your LEGAL description says one thing, what if the "pin" is
an inch or a foot off, what then???

Q: If our land plots state that my foundation is 11 feet from the line
and my neighbor's is 6 feet from the line, does that always mean that
the property line should be right there +/- some error?

The problem is the error. The "tie" to the foundation is of little or
no legal significance to determining boundary lines. Usually the bank
just wants to know if your house is really on your land, and meets
setback. If there is anything NOT to less than an inch, its that
measurement.

Take it easy, and good luck.

-v.