Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

fork

Default Moen shower mixer installation snafu

I am in the middle of a bathroom remodel and the shower tiling was just
finished. The shower mixer cartridge has a brass piece that attaches
to the shower handle, I don't know what it's called but it is what the
handle turns. This piece should stick at least half an inch out past
the plane of the tile, but it doesn't, it's tip is flush with the tile.
So either the plumber recessed the mixer too deeply in the wall, or
the tiler built the wall up too thick. Before I get them back in (they
are both friends of mine), I'm wondering if this is a problem that
others have faced and solved? It looks extending this brass thing by
about 3/4 inch might do the trick. Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

Speedy Jim

fork wrote:
I am in the middle of a bathroom remodel and the shower tiling was just
finished. The shower mixer cartridge has a brass piece that attaches
to the shower handle, I don't know what it's called but it is what the
handle turns. This piece should stick at least half an inch out past
the plane of the tile, but it doesn't, it's tip is flush with the tile.
So either the plumber recessed the mixer too deeply in the wall, or
the tiler built the wall up too thick. Before I get them back in (they
are both friends of mine), I'm wondering if this is a problem that
others have faced and solved? It looks extending this brass thing by
about 3/4 inch might do the trick. Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

What would it take to get access to the other side of the wall-
in order to move the valve body the 3/4" ?

Jim
fork

That's pretty much my plan at the moment. It's not that big a deal to
open up that wall. Thanks.
-Fork