Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

ggg

Default Is track lighting only controlled by a wall switch and must wiringbe behind the wall/ceiling?

I'm in NYC where lighting experts overcharge. I'm interested in
eventually getting track lighting from Ikea for one room that really
needs light. Is it possible to install your own track lighting, run the
wire to a plug in outlet and have a switch to click on and off or is it
all wall switch controlled. I don't know anything about track lighting.
I plan on the window wall having the curtains cover the entire wall
anyway so the wire can go down that wall hidden by the curtains.

Thanks.

Speedy Jim

ggg wrote:

I'm in NYC where lighting experts overcharge. I'm interested in
eventually getting track lighting from Ikea for one room that really
needs light. Is it possible to install your own track lighting, run the
wire to a plug in outlet and have a switch to click on and off or is it
all wall switch controlled. I don't know anything about track lighting.
I plan on the window wall having the curtains cover the entire wall
anyway so the wire can go down that wall hidden by the curtains.

Thanks.

It *can* be done that way. There are legitimate objections to it
because the Code prohibits the use of flexible cords for permanent
installations (with few exceptions). You'd have to be the aribiter.

Look for a track power take-off box that has knock-out provisions
in the side or bottom (facing you) which could accept a suitable
cord strain relief. The dealer ought to be able to suggest something.

Jim
John A. Weeks III

In article , Speedy Jim
wrote:

ggg wrote:

[...]

I have made a number of lamps this way. I used a large round electrical
box, and a lamp socket intended for barns. I put in two socket
extensions to give it some height, and cheap lamp shades from Target.
I used the heaviest zip cord extension cords that I could find. On
the ends that went into the lamp socket, I crimped and soldered in
crimp-on space lugs. This gave a good connection under the screw
terminals. Do make sure that you use a strain relief to ensure that
the cord is not pulling on the terminals and connectors.

The lamp socket extensions have AC outlets in them, which allows me
to daisy chain the lamps. The first lamp in the series is plugged into
a switched A/C outlet. I have these lights sitting on bookshelfs, so
they are high up in the air and give great room filling coverage.

I assume you could do something similar with track lighting.

-john-

John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708
Newave Communications
http://www.johnweeks.com

Thanks for the good answers.

TKM

"ggg" wrote in message
I'm in NYC where lighting experts overcharge. I'm interested in
eventually getting track lighting from Ikea for one room that really
needs light. Is it possible to install your own track lighting, run the
wire to a plug in outlet and have a switch to click on and off or is it
all wall switch controlled. I don't know anything about track lighting.
I plan on the window wall having the curtains cover the entire wall
anyway so the wire can go down that wall hidden by the curtains.

Thanks.

You can buy a chunk of track with a cord and plug. I've seen it at Home
Depot and it's in the Halo Track Lighting catalog
http://www.cooperlighting.com/brands/halo/

TKM