DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   How do you clean dirt off of nylon jacket shells? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-ownership/79047-how-do-you-clean-dirt-off-nylon-jacket-shells.html)

zinxx November 28th 04 04:07 AM

How do you clean dirt off of nylon jacket shells?

My daughter has a knack for just grinding filth into the cuffs of her
jackets. I mean, she's only eight, but if you saw her jackets and
overlooked the pink colors, you'd think she'd been putting a new set
of rings in a car.

Nothing I do at home gets this stuff out - it's nothing more than
ground-in dirt, perhaps a little grease, but mainly dirt.

Tonight, I did the following with one of her filthy jackets:

1. Saturated it and slathered Stain Stick all over the cuffs and other
dirty parts.

2. Soaked it for 90 minutes in HOT water with a little Clorox, Oxy
cleaner, and regular Tide

3. Pulled it out, slathered on MORE stain stick, and washed it in hot
water/cold rinse, with bleach, Oxy, and Tide again

When it came out of the wash, the bad parts looked as filthy as they
did going in.

It's just dirt! What am I supposed to do to get it out? She has
oodles of other jackets that look the same way.

SoCalMike November 28th 04 04:09 AM

zinxx wrote:

[...]

experiment with other cleaners?
carpet cleaner?
cover the cuffs with a dark colored cloth? fake fur?

shinypenny November 28th 04 04:35 AM

zinxx wrote:
[...]

Try Zout. Works miracles.

Good luck!

jen

Jessica V. November 28th 04 04:50 AM

zinxx wrote:
[...]

Try Fels Naptha, it's a bar soap in the laundry aisle. I get an old
toothbrush wet run it over the bar and then scrub the stain with said
soapy toothbrush, wash as usual. I've used the same bar for an easy
three years for all stain treatments on laundry. It's cheap and it
works. Even some stains that have been set in with the dryer it has
removed.

Jessica

The Real Bev November 28th 04 05:23 AM

zinxx wrote:

[...]

Try massaging in a goodly amount of mechanics' hand cleaner before you
try washing it again. More sensible is to realize that 8-year-olds
don't -- and shouldn't -- worry about keeping their clothes clean and
buy everything for her in black, dark gray, etc.

--
Cheers,
Bev

PaPaPeng November 28th 04 06:55 AM

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 20:23:45 -0800, The Real Bev
wrote:

Try massaging in a goodly amount of mechanics' hand cleaner before you
try washing it again. More sensible is to realize that 8-year-olds
don't -- and shouldn't -- worry about keeping their clothes clean and
buy everything for her in black, dark gray, etc.

Amen. That mechanics cleaner does a miracle job on many things but I
doubt it will ever restore a pink fabric. Yeah. Just get her clothes
that can handle her lifestyle. Its good for the environment and for
your's and everyone's health that you don't use too many chemicals or
effort to keep your 8 year old's workclothes spotlessly clean.

Serendipity November 28th 04 08:59 AM

wrote:

Try massaging in a goodly amount of mechanics' hand cleaner before you
try washing it again. More sensible is to realize that 8-year-olds
don't -- and shouldn't -- worry about keeping their clothes clean and
buy everything for her in black, dark gray, etc.

Amen. That mechanics cleaner does a miracle job on many things but I
doubt it will ever restore a pink fabric. Yeah. Just get her clothes
that can handle her lifestyle. Its good for the environment and for
your's and everyone's health that you don't use too many chemicals or
effort to keep your 8 year old's workclothes spotlessly clean.

I agree. If you try to keep an 8 yr old's clothes spotlessly clean
your'll end up with early grey hairs and high blood pressure ;)

Joel M. Eichen November 28th 04 11:26 AM

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 03:07:26 GMT, zinxx wrote:

My daughter has a knack for just grinding filth into the cuffs of her
jackets. I mean, she's only eight, but if you saw her jackets and
overlooked the pink colors, you'd think she'd been putting a new set
of rings in a car.

She sounds like a charming child ,,,, and will go far with her ZEST
for life!

Joel

Chloe November 28th 04 01:03 PM

wrote:

Try massaging in a goodly amount of mechanics' hand cleaner before you
try washing it again. More sensible is to realize that 8-year-olds
don't -- and shouldn't -- worry about keeping their clothes clean and
buy everything for her in black, dark gray, etc.

Amen. That mechanics cleaner does a miracle job on many things but I
doubt it will ever restore a pink fabric. Yeah. Just get her clothes
that can handle her lifestyle. Its good for the environment and for
your's and everyone's health that you don't use too many chemicals or
effort to keep your 8 year old's workclothes spotlessly clean.

I'd find it kind of depressing to think about dressing a child exclusively
in dark colors, but assuming I could get the same kinds of great deals on
kids clothes I get on my own, I'd probably buy most of her clothes at
Goodwill, anyway.

kingsnake November 28th 04 02:18 PM

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 02:26:18 -0800, Joel M. Eichen wrote:

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 03:07:26 GMT, zinxx wrote:

My daughter has a knack for just grinding filth into the cuffs of her
jackets. I mean, she's only eight, but if you saw her jackets and
overlooked the pink colors, you'd think she'd been putting a new set of
rings in a car.

She sounds like a charming child ,,,, and will go far with her ZEST for
life!

Joel

Only in your IVORY tower.

Joel M. Eichen November 28th 04 02:18 PM

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 05:18:16 -0800, kingsnake
wrote:

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 02:26:18 -0800, Joel M. Eichen wrote:

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 03:07:26 GMT, zinxx wrote:

My daughter has a knack for just grinding filth into the cuffs of her
jackets. I mean, she's only eight, but if you saw her jackets and
overlooked the pink colors, you'd think she'd been putting a new set of
rings in a car.

She sounds like a charming child ,,,, and will go far with her ZEST for
life!

Joel

Only in your IVORY tower.

DANG?

You mean you got out of your room?

We gotta bolt the door better.

PaPaPeng November 28th 04 09:00 PM

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 12:03:36 GMT, "Chloe" wrote:

I'd find it kind of depressing to think about dressing a child exclusively
in dark colors, but assuming I could get the same kinds of great deals on
kids clothes I get on my own, I'd probably buy most of her clothes at
Goodwill, anyway.

Not necessarily dark colours. I would think warm colors including
earth colours as light as beige would easily accommodate odinary dirt
stains and still look pretty good. I would dress her in clothes that
befits an active outdoors kid rather than try to dress her like a
sweet little Miss Lacey always ready for a formal concert.

She sounds like a charming child ,,,, and will go far with her ZEST for
life!

Joel

Only in your IVORY tower.

The point of rebuttal escapes me. I would be delighted to be the
parent of an active outdoors kid not afraid to get her or his hands
dirty. Would you rather have an unresponsive one or one who is stuck
to the TV set or video games all day? I got really messy as a kid
and delighted in catching every creepy crawly there was. No TV then
and we had to makeup our own pastimes. I am waiting for my son to
find a nice wife so that I can have grandkids and do that creepy
crawly thing all over again.

Al Bundy December 1st 04 11:06 PM

wrote:

Try massaging in a goodly amount of mechanics' hand cleaner before you
try washing it again. More sensible is to realize that 8-year-olds
don't -- and shouldn't -- worry about keeping their clothes clean and
buy everything for her in black, dark gray, etc.

Amen. That mechanics cleaner does a miracle job on many things but I
doubt it will ever restore a pink fabric. Yeah. Just get her clothes
that can handle her lifestyle. Its good for the environment and for
your's and everyone's health that you don't use too many chemicals or
effort to keep your 8 year old's workclothes spotlessly clean.

I agree. If you try to keep an 8 yr old's clothes spotlessly clean
your'll end up with early grey hairs and high blood pressure ;)

And stop letting her work on that minivan transmission.

Wooly December 2nd 04 01:04 AM

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 03:07:26 GMT, zinxx spewed forth :

My daughter has a knack for just grinding filth into the cuffs of her
jackets. I mean, she's only eight, but if you saw her jackets and
overlooked the pink colors, you'd think she'd been putting a new set
of rings in a car.

Thank your lucky stars that she's not already a high-maintenance
Barbie clone.

Wooly
Who would raise tomboys if she had girls, but has a boy so needn't
worry about it

Serendipity December 2nd 04 02:39 AM

Wooly wrote:

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 03:07:26 GMT, zinxx spewed forth :

My daughter has a knack for just grinding filth into the cuffs of her
jackets. I mean, she's only eight, but if you saw her jackets and
overlooked the pink colors, you'd think she'd been putting a new set
of rings in a car.

Thank your lucky stars that she's not already a high-maintenance
Barbie clone.

Wooly
Who would raise tomboys if she had girls, but has a boy so needn't
worry about it

Raising tomboys doesn't work. We tried for years turing a kid into a
prim and proper miss, nope, doesn't work. As soon as she could
vocalize, the dresses and bowes went out the window. Some gals just
don't like that kind of thing. In my perspective, I dress feminine when
required, neutral if I can get away from it, but when gardening or
around the house it's jeans and a t-shirt. Mind you I wouldn't go out
in public in jeans but hey, for gardening and around the house, they are
great!

freespeech December 4th 04 12:25 PM

Serendipity wrote:
|| Wooly wrote:
||| On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 03:07:26 GMT, zinxx spewed forth :
||| Thank your lucky stars that she's not already a high-maintenance
||| Barbie clone.
||| Wooly
||| Who would raise tomboys if she had girls, but has a boy so needn't
||| worry about it
|| Raising tomboys doesn't work. We tried for years turing a kid into a
|| prim and proper miss, nope, doesn't work. As soon as she could
|| vocalize, the dresses and bowes went out the window. Some gals just
|| don't like that kind of thing. In my perspective, I dress feminine
|| when required, neutral if I can get away from it, but when gardening
|| or around the house it's jeans and a t-shirt. Mind you I wouldn't
|| go out in public in jeans but hey, for gardening and around the
|| house, they are great!

What do you have against jeans in public? I always scope out the babes in
jeans to detect panty lines.

Serendipity December 5th 04 01:22 AM

freespeech wrote:

Serendipity wrote:
|| Wooly wrote:
||| On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 03:07:26 GMT, zinxx spewed forth :
||| Thank your lucky stars that she's not already a high-maintenance
||| Barbie clone.
||| Wooly
||| Who would raise tomboys if she had girls, but has a boy so needn't
||| worry about it
|| Raising tomboys doesn't work. We tried for years turing a kid into a
|| prim and proper miss, nope, doesn't work. As soon as she could
|| vocalize, the dresses and bowes went out the window. Some gals just
|| don't like that kind of thing. In my perspective, I dress feminine
|| when required, neutral if I can get away from it, but when gardening
|| or around the house it's jeans and a t-shirt. Mind you I wouldn't
|| go out in public in jeans but hey, for gardening and around the
|| house, they are great!

What do you have against jeans in public? I always scope out the babes in
jeans to detect panty lines.

Absolutely nothing. I just prefer not wearing jeans in public myself
unless the event dictates. It's a personal choice ;)