Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Alan Sung

Default Rain-Ex on house windows

I am installing a fixed picture window which will be almost inaccessible for
cleaning once it is installed (due to height from the ground). Besides the
PPG self cleaning glass, has anyone had any luck with pre-treating windows
with anything to lessen the need for glass cleaning?

Would something like Rain-Ex, which is normally for car windows, work?

-al sung

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 16:39:49 GMT, someone wrote:

Would something like Rain-Ex, which is normally for car windows, work?

Interesting idea. Never tried it on a house window, but should help.
I am a believer for cars, it really does work - though I don't use it
now on my street cars (fresh wipers work OK too). I used to use it on
my track car, sometimes wipers don't stay down too well or wipe fast
enough over 100 mph.

-v.

Charles Spitzer

"v" wrote in message
On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 16:39:49 GMT, someone wrote:

Would something like Rain-Ex, which is normally for car windows, work?

Interesting idea. Never tried it on a house window, but should help.
I am a believer for cars, it really does work - though I don't use it
now on my street cars (fresh wipers work OK too). I used to use it on
my track car, sometimes wipers don't stay down too well or wipe fast
enough over 100 mph.

-v.

you can use rain-x on shower doors to prevent a lot of spotting, so it'll
probably work ok, but you'll still get an accumulation of dust.

Alan Sung

"kilmister" wrote in message
or you could try the windex window spray, attaches to a garden hose and is
supposed to be good for 2nd storey windows

These windows will be on the 4th story, so between 40 and 50 feet off the
ground. I'm not sure the Windex spray would reach that high.

-al

On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 20:06:00 GMT, someone wrote:

These windows will be on the 4th story, so between 40 and 50 feet off the
ground. I'm not sure the Windex spray would reach that high.

What do you intend to do, when someday they DO need cleaning?

Alan Sung

"v" wrote in message
On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 20:06:00 GMT, someone wrote:

These windows will be on the 4th story, so between 40 and 50 feet off the
ground. I'm not sure the Windex spray would reach that high.

What do you intend to do, when someday they DO need cleaning?

Maybe get on a ladder part of the way and then use the Windex spray? Or
hire a window cleaning service and let them worry about it? Seems the
problem with Rain-Ex on the windshield is it tends to get hazy (or maybe
dust is just sticking to the glass more).

-al