Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Nancy

Default Outside TV Antenna in High Wind Area

Our house is on a ridge and we get quite a bit of wind. We are wanting
an outside t.v. antenna since we are tired of dealing with Dish Network
and the chronic problems with local t.v. channels. We just received a
letter today saying that CBS & NBC will not be available to us within
two weeks. For some unexplainable reason we are not "allowed" to have
the second dish installed for some local channels even though we pay the
same amount each month for fewer channels.

Our house has the foam/metal panels under the siding and that keeps an
attic antenna from property working. The signals can't come through the
metal - or at least that is how it was explained to us.

So we are looking for ideas on a good sturdy antenna and how to properly
mount it.

Nancy

Alan Sung

"Nancy" wrote in message
Our house is on a ridge and we get quite a bit of wind. We are wanting
an outside t.v. antenna since we are tired of dealing with Dish Network
and the chronic problems with local t.v. channels. We just received a
letter today saying that CBS & NBC will not be available to us within
two weeks. For some unexplainable reason we are not "allowed" to have
the second dish installed for some local channels even though we pay the
same amount each month for fewer channels.

Our house has the foam/metal panels under the siding and that keeps an
attic antenna from property working. The signals can't come through the
metal - or at least that is how it was explained to us.

So we are looking for ideas on a good sturdy antenna and how to properly
mount it.

There are 3 basic roof top mounts.
1) Attach it to a masonry chimney. Two brackets attached with stainless
steel bands
2) Attach it to the gable end. Two brackets lag-screwed into studs or end
rafters
3) Tripod stand on top of roof. Requires guy wires.

For options 1) and 2) you can also add guy wires. This is dependent on the
length of the antenna pole and the size of the antenna. You should determine
if you need UHF and VHF. Distance and terrain to the TV station transmitter
determines how big an antenna you need.

Don't forget that you should install a grounding block for the antenna
leads(coax cable) and run a wire to a ground rod (3 or 4 ft solid copper rod
driven into the ground).

-al sung
Rapid Realm Technology, Inc.
Hopkinton, MA

steve

In addition to the other response you have received, you might want to
check out

www.antennaweb.org

to help determine what your actual tv antenna requirements are. No point
putting up more antenna than you need, and if you go through the hassle
of putting one up at all, at least make sure it has enough performance
to give you good reception. Antennas are pretty cheap, but the labor is
a pain in the @#%!

Using the smallest antenna that provides good reception will reduce the
wind loading area and therefore tend to simplify the antenna mounting --
no matter what mounting type you select.

Using an electric rotor to allow you to turn the antenna might save you
the hassle of having to climb back on the roof to 'tweak' the antenna
pointing after a windstorm subsides (unless you have better luck keeping
TV antennas from twirling a little after high winds than I do.) A rotor
also will allow you to optimize reception when stations are transmitting
from different locations. The antennaweb site has info on what the
compass heading should be from your location to the local TV
transmitters -- a LIFE SAVER when it comes to aiming your new antenna.
Got Compass?

Consider using a 'beam' type antenna because this will give you the best
antenna performance (gain) and help to reject noise and multipath
signals that cause 'ghosts' and 'sparklies'.

I know that salespeople will try to sell you some 'whizz-bang'
electronic antenna but I do not recommend these units if locating a
conventional 'yagi style' antenna outside is possible. There is no
substitute for having 'metal in the air'. Go ahead and try one, but make
sure you can return it for a full refund first

And if you want to view HD over the air channels, remember that these
are transmitted in the UHF band, and select your antenna so that it has
enough UHF gain (as well as having enough VHF gain for channels 2-13)

As for not being able to use two dishes, there are single satellite
dishes that can receive from different satellites simultaneously. I have
one that pulls in signals from three different satellites at the same
time, and still falls within the 1m diameter size limit that allows you
to thumb your nose at HOA's. Antennas under 1m in diameter fall under
the FCC's OTARD rules, and HOAs (etc.) typically cannot restrict your
putting up such an antenna as long as it is located on your own property.

A good reference can be found at

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

Many HOAs dont have a clue about these rules.

Steve

Nancy wrote:

Our house is on a ridge and we get quite a bit of wind. We are wanting
an outside t.v. antenna since we are tired of dealing with Dish Network
and the chronic problems with local t.v. channels. We just received a
letter today saying that CBS & NBC will not be available to us within
two weeks. For some unexplainable reason we are not "allowed" to have
the second dish installed for some local channels even though we pay the
same amount each month for fewer channels.

Our house has the foam/metal panels under the siding and that keeps an
attic antenna from property working. The signals can't come through the
metal - or at least that is how it was explained to us.

So we are looking for ideas on a good sturdy antenna and how to properly
mount it.

Nancy

Bob

"Alan Sung" wrote in message

Don't forget that you should install a grounding block for the

antenna
leads(coax cable) and run a wire to a ground rod (3 or 4 ft

solid copper rod
driven into the ground).

Every ground rod I've ever seen was 8 feet long. A 3-4 foot rod
is not going to do a very good job.

Bob

On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 22:13:02 GMT, someone wrote:

3) Tripod stand on top of roof. Requires guy wires.

A tripod stand for a residential TV antennae does not normally require
guy wires. Maybe for their high wind location. However, I wonder if
their winds are really all that much higher than what a normal product
is intended to withstand - maybe more frequent, but are they really
that much higher than the max rating?

I had mine furnished and installed, local guy, said he hasn't had one
of his go down from wind in many years.

-v.

Harry K

Nancy wrote in message ...
Our house is on a ridge and we get quite a bit of wind. We are wanting
an outside t.v. antenna since we are tired of dealing with Dish Network
and the chronic problems with local t.v. channels. We just received a
letter today saying that CBS & NBC will not be available to us within
two weeks. For some unexplainable reason we are not "allowed" to have
the second dish installed for some local channels even though we pay the
same amount each month for fewer channels.

Our house has the foam/metal panels under the siding and that keeps an
attic antenna from property working. The signals can't come through the
metal - or at least that is how it was explained to us.

So we are looking for ideas on a good sturdy antenna and how to properly
mount it.

Nancy

You might want to check on DirectTV. I just upgraded mine to get the
local channels. Just one dish (pulls from more than one satellite)
and gets the locals. My outside antenna is still on a high pole and
has withstood wind to 50/60 mph in gusts. The problem was
deteriorting twin lead and I didn't want to go to the trouble of
replacing it. Upgrading my DirectTV system was one of my better
decisions - no contest as to picture quality.

Harry K
steve

You are correct about how RF cable deteriorates over time.

Also correct about DirecTV being able to use a single dish to pull in
multiple satellite signals -- I have that set-up myself.

As I recall the FCC is mandating that satellite TV providers place local
channels on the SAME SATELLITE if they offer locals in a particular
area. I think Dish is behind the curve on this. This may be why the op
is losing his locals.

As for DirecTV quality, it looks fantastic on a TV with screens 32" and
smaller in my experience. However due to the compression utilized on the
DTV signal there is significant degradation in picture quality when I
compare DTV network HD signals, and DTV local (non HD) channels to what
I receive using a roof-top mounted antenna here in Southern California
when viewing on a large screen (55") high-end HD TV. Granted, I live in
an area where excellent off the air reception is possible, but the
degradation is very very noticeable.

This image degradation issue has also been observed by others with
different equipment so I am 100% confident that this is a DTV issue and
not a problem with a particular TV, set top box, or antenna.

Essentially, DTV (and Dish as well) will compress the signals to allow
more channels to be carried by the satellites. (To them it makes
business sense.) Until the majority of people notice the degradation and
complain about it (or vote with their wallets and cancel their
subscriptions) the compression will still be high enough to cause
noticeable degradation.

DTV also requested some kind of ruling from the FCC to 'Down-Res' HD
content transmitted through their satellites. Down-Res means that they
intentionally reduce the resolution -- supposedly this somehow reduces
the chances that customers will record the HD content. But when you
consider that reducing the resolution allows them to transmit more
channels (and make more money unless people cancel their subscriptions)
it makes sense from a business perspective. But if you like crisp video,
and have a large format TV it is enough to make you scream!

Gosh it sounds like I am really bagging on DTV. Truth be known our
family has had (and continues to have) a subscription for over 10 years
and we like the channel line-up available. I own stock in DTV and used
to work for Hughes for many many years designing satellite hardware,
much of which is still in orbit. I am still in the aerospace business.

It was only 2 or so years ago when we purchased a HD large screen TV
that I noticed the image degradation issue and did testing to determine
the cause. So its a mixed bag, but if you live in an area where local
reception is poor or impossible, its either satellite or cable -- or
pick up a good book

I am hopeful that the launch of additional satellites in the next year
or so will allow DTV to increase their channel line-up, improve image
quality, and provide locals to more areas. But it all comes down to the
business model. DTV's green-visor wearing accountants will probably
argue against improving image quality in favor of carrying more channels
that they can charge extra for.

I will jump ship from DTV as soon as a high-image quality alternative
exists that has a similar channel lineup. As for their stock..... man
has that been a mistake. But I still believe in the idea of satellite TV.

Steve

ameijers

"steve" wrote in message
In addition to the other response you have received, you might want to
check out

www.antennaweb.org

Neat site! Thanks for the link.

aem sends....