Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

David McGeorge

Default heating, hydro cost

any comprehensive list of how to reduce the cost of heatimng and
energy in my house 2000sqf this year, I am in Toronto.

and what is the annual cost of running a computer and a fridge
all-time on as an example.
Speedy Jim

David McGeorge wrote:

any comprehensive list of how to reduce the cost of heatimng and
energy in my house 2000sqf this year, I am in Toronto.

and what is the annual cost of running a computer and a fridge
all-time on as an example.

The most cost-effective thing you can do is add more insulation.

While not a high efficiency source, appliances running full time
(like computer) deliver *all* of the energy used into the house,
reducing heat load on the furnace. So, turning off the appliances
means running the furnace more (though it's not an even trade-off
in cost).

Jim
Bill

Get the most energy saving windows you can find. Triple pane argon filled
"Energy Star" windows. http://www.energystar.gov/
Then add storm windows and heavy drapes.

Add insulation where possible. 1 ft. thick in attic or more.

Seal any and all air leaks. Caulk on inside around pipes under sinks, caulk
on outside around windows, doors, vents, etc.

Get electric outlet seal gaskets for outlets on outside walls. This helps
stop air leaks around electric outlets.

Heat just bedroom(s) at night with electric heaters and turn whole house
heating way down. Can also just heat one room during day and stay in there
mostly. Close off unused rooms. My house was 60 degrees F. this morning but
my bedroom was a cozy 67 deg. F. with only an electric space heater on low
and 29 degrees outside.

You can get new Energy Star appliances which will use less electricity than
older models. I bought a new window air conditioner which uses 1/3 of the
electricity of my older model and has a higher BTU rating!

Some new gas/oil furnaces can be *very* efficient. May be worth it in the
long run to replace an older unit where a lot of the heat goes up the flue.

Take showers instead of baths. Skip taking showers if not needed. An
electric water heater can be 1/3 of an electric bill!

"Speedy Jim" wrote in message
David McGeorge wrote:

any comprehensive list of how to reduce the cost of heatimng and
energy in my house 2000sqf this year, I am in Toronto.

and what is the annual cost of running a computer and a fridge
all-time on as an example.

The most cost-effective thing you can do is add more insulation.

While not a high efficiency source, appliances running full time
(like computer) deliver *all* of the energy used into the house,
reducing heat load on the furnace. So, turning off the appliances
means running the furnace more (though it's not an even trade-off
in cost).

Jim

Murray Peterson

"Bill" wrote in news:309efoF2u2njdU1@uni-
berlin.de:

Get electric outlet seal gaskets for outlets on outside walls. This helps
stop air leaks around electric outlets.

Outlets in interior walls can leak cold air too -- if the hole isn't sealed
where the electrical wire enters the attic.
Dee

Outlets in interior walls can leak cold air too -- if the hole isn't
sealed
where the electrical wire enters the attic.

This is an excellent point! We have an attic, or whole-house, fan, and when
it's on it really demonstrates how much outside air can get in through the
outlets.

David McGeorge

Buying and installing new windows can be quiet expensive and not a
wise money saving at least for 5-10 years I guess. Other advuses are
well taken, but do I need any expert to come to my house and advise
all these leaking, attic, etc. ... I am a new home owner it is 20
years old and I have no idea too much sorry but advise if companies
can do that

Also does Duct cleaning is important or waste of money?

"Dee" wrote in message ...
Outlets in interior walls can leak cold air too -- if the hole isn't
sealed
where the electrical wire enters the attic.

This is an excellent point! We have an attic, or whole-house, fan, and when
it's on it really demonstrates how much outside air can get in through the
outlets.

Speedy Jim

David McGeorge wrote:
Buying and installing new windows can be quiet expensive and not a
wise money saving at least for 5-10 years I guess. Other advuses are
well taken, but do I need any expert to come to my house and advise
all these leaking, attic, etc. ... I am a new home owner it is 20
years old and I have no idea too much sorry but advise if companies
can do that

Also does Duct cleaning is important or waste of money?

You're right; the payback on windows is much longer.
Ask a local insulation co. to evaluate your home and suggest
what needs to be done.

There was a long discussion of duct cleaning just today.
Log onto: alt.home.repair

Jim
Bill

Buying and installing new windows can be quiet expensive and not a
wise money saving at least for 5-10 years I guess...

Well the trend around here is for companies/government/insurance companies
to give people the shaft when they retire. People who are retiring from
their jobs (around here at least) have less income than expected and higher
medical insurance rates ($500.00 per month) than expected. They are having
trouble making ends meet. If you can possibly afford to do anything *now*
to reduce your future energy costs (such as replacing windows), you may be
thankful you did this when you retire. (Assuming you are not yet retired.)
Also energy rates seem to be going higher and higher - not lower.

...I need any expert to come to my house and advise
all these leaking, attic, etc...

Ask your electric or natural gas companies if they can do this of if they
know who can...