Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Least expensive composit decking material???

Old November 17th 04, 06:20 PM
BRN

Default Least expensive composit decking material???

Hi,

I currently have a small deck made with ChoiceDek
(http://www.choicedek.com/default.htm) and I love it. Maintenance is easy
and I think it looks good. Unfortunately it's REALLY expensive. I'd like
build a deck on the other side of the house. I'd like to use ChoiceDek,
Trex or similar. Has anyone done price comparisons to see if any of the
composite materials is substantially cheaper than others?

TIA

Bart
--

Get a free TV or LCD monitor! http://getafreetv.cjb.net/ This really works!
http://easy.to/getafreetv for more information!

Old November 24th 04, 10:32 PM
Andrew Duane

There are price differences in the decking itself (I looked at a few
this summer to replace an aging deck surface). But there are also
price differences in the fasteners required, and the structure
required. Most composite decking needs the joists to be 12" on center
rather than 16", which costs extra. I found one that used 16", but I'm
afraid I can't remember the name. IIRC, it was $45 or so for a 16'
length, in several colors. Some of the decing also *requires* specific
fasteners that can add up to a couple of hundred dollars on a big
deck.

"BRN" wrote in message ...
Anyone???