Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Jenny

Default refinishing old dining table

We have an old oak dining table (probably more than 50 years old) and would
like to refinish. but don't know where to start. Does anyone have any idea
where I can take it to? or how to do it myself (if easy enough)??

thanks

David W.

"Jenny" wrote in
om:

We have an old oak dining table (probably more than 50 years old) and
would like to refinish. but don't know where to start. Does anyone
have any idea where I can take it to? or how to do it myself (if easy
enough)??

thanks

It depends on what you want, what finish(es) the table has, and what kind
of shape the finish is in.

If the table is varnished or shellaced, and the finish is in ok shape but
has scratches, discolored or worn spots, my usual approach is to use
denatured alcohol or naptha and steel wool. This will remove most of the
finish, but leaves behind most of the color (much of which comes with age).
Use lots of alcohol, and rinse the steel wool frequently, working in small
areas until you get down to bare wood. After you've done all the whole
table, go back over it with more alcohol and clean rags to get most of the
residue. Then finish with a couple coats of good varnish (actually, I
prefer a product called Deft, which is a brushing lacquer).

If the table is painted, you'll have to go the stripper route. There are
any number of paint/varnish strippers on the market, pick one that looks
good. Stripping paint is messy, but not too difficult. Some of the newer
strippers are non-toxic, and probably a better (at least safer) choice.

You can also usually find a commercial stripper who will use a dip tank or
pressure stripping system to remove finish from furniture. It can be
expensive, the chemicals are harsh, and especially with the pressure strip,
can damage fragile pieces.

Doing it yourself isn't hard, but it is messy. If you go that route, work
in a well-ventilated area (if using any sort of solvent), and put newpapers
or tarps under your work. I'd never do this inside, but a garage or patio
would work fine.

Also, check out furniture refinishing books at your local library or home
center, they offer lots of good information.