Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Barney H.

Default Firex Smoke/CO Alarm Problems

In compliance with code, our electrical sub-contractor installed smoke
detectors throughout this new house. He also installed in a central
hall as part of the system a "Firex Smoke/CO Alarm Smoke Carbon
Monoxide Alarm Model FADCQ." This device is causing a lot of
confusion and grief here, going off randomly with false positives at
any time night or day. It is making the house practically
uninhabitable.

The Firex manual is confusing to me, describing 26 different
conditions that the unit communicates by means of three different
colored lights that flash in combination with a "horn" that sounds in
various patterns in various numbers of times. None of these seem to
describe what the unit is doing and the manual's Troubleshooting Tips
don't apply.

The unit is wired into the AC and has a 9v battery backup. I would
shut it off at the box and remove the battery, but it is on the same
circuit with the lights in one area of the house.
I have called the Firex company and they would not talk about the
problem; they just said very quickly that they would send me another
unit. The electrician has installed the new unit and it malfunctions
the same way.

The electrician answers our requests to uninstall the unit with a
standard CYA warning speech about the dangers of CO and the virtues of
detectors.

Is there anyone knowledgeable out there who can suggest how we can
shut this thing down ourselves?

Thanks for any help.

Al B.

Bill Seurer

Barney H. wrote:

Is there anyone knowledgeable out there who can suggest how we can
shut this thing down ourselves?

On the off chance you *DO* have a CO problem you might want to get
another CO detector and try it out. We have several NightHawks and they
have a digital readout of the CO level. Just plug them in and see what
they say. Perhaps you can borrow one from a neighbor or friend?
--

-Bill
steve

I strongly agree with the other poster -- Please check the CO level with
a different unit. Until then keep a window open. It may be possible that
there really is a CO problem, and since CO is colorless, odorless you
wont have a clue until symptoms show up and this may be too late.

In fact I recall a story in the paper that started very much like what
you are describing -- the homeowner didnt trust the detector and
disabled it. As I recall several residents died from CO in this case.

Sure your detector might very well be broken, but don't take a chance.

Steve

Barney H. wrote:
[...]

Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney H.
[...]

Firex had a huge problem with Model #7000 Co/smoke detectors manufactured prior to 11/03. I spoke to a tech rep who admitted the problem and sent out updated replacements. Even still, I'm on my 3rd replacement combo unit. Falsing of the CO detection was to the point of having the local FD go through my house 4 times with sniffers.
Now the smoke detection sensor in the same unit just went off...activating only that detector, not the seven other interwired smokes. So now this newest unit is faulty also.
think I'm going to get a seperate stand alone CO detector and put the Firex smoke back in the circuit.
I'm a licensed electrician who's been installing the firex smokes for 20 yrs...with no problems. I wouldn't recommend the Model 7000 combo CO/Smoke detector....get a stand alone unit.
Pepito141

Barney H. wrote:
[...]

I have 5 firex 7000 combo alarms. I am on my third set and still no
luck. They continue to indicate flase alarms until they finally default
into a solid amber light. Invensys has replaced them ungrudgingly, but
will they be as generous when I get carbon monoxide poisoning? Any
other similar problems?