Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

MIchael Jasper

Default Stability of large tv on stand

Hi -

We are upgrading from a 20" to a 32" tv and need to figure out if our
current stand will be stable with the new tv. I have searched all
over and can't find any info that sets standards for dimensions of
stands for different size tvs.

THe stand we have is a fairly tall one - taller than wide. The top
shelf is 29" wide by 19" deep, and it's about 36" high, on casters.

So - here are my questions:

1) How do I tell if it will be stable for a given size tv? Is it
sufficient that the base of the TV - the part that actually rests on
the stand - fits the top shelf, regardless of how much the rest of the
tv protrudes to sides or rear?
Is there a maximum height of tv that should fit on a stand of this
configuration?

2) Is there a minimum size stand for a 32" tv?

3) If we do stick with this stand, how could I anchor the tv to
prevent it from falling if a kid tugs on it? I have no problem with
anchoring the tv stand - I have furniture anchor straps. But that
won't help keep the tv on the stand, and I'm not sure how to fix a
strap to a tv without doing damage to the tv - ie drilling into it!

Would appreciate direct replies in addition to group:

Thanks!
Michael Jasper
MLD

Ques. 1. How do you tell if it's stable???
Push on it and see if it falls over.
Ques 2. Is there a minimum size stand for a 32" tv?
32" if you're going to lay it on it's face
Ques 3. How could I anchor the tv?
2x4's and tie down straps
Final solution but the toughest--go out and buy a stand made for the TV. Do
you actually realize just how stupid you sound?
MLD

Go out and get a stand that is made for the TV.
"MIchael Jasper" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Paul

"MIchael Jasper" wrote in message
om...
Snip long posting
Questions about a large TV on a tall stand

That's a good thing to check out. Many new TV stands will have information
provided regarding the weight and size TV that it can safely hold. However,
the store where I bought my 32" TV (years ago) provided a stand with the
purchase of the TV. Even though they sold them together, the stand was not
able to handle such a heavy TV. I could tell this by putting the TV on it
and moving the wheeled stand around a bit. The stand "flexed" far more than
I liked. I acquired a more squat and sturdy stand and felt a lot better
about the stability.

Paul

Doug Kanter

You said "kid". So, stop asking these questions. There's only one answer:
Secure it as if you expected it to be stolen by two big strong guys. If your
new set is anything like my 32" Sony, it's very front-heavy. While preparing
to move out of my previous residence, I reached behind the set to undo some
audio wires. I needed just a tad more room for my hand - maybe 1/2", so I
nudged the TV. It toppled forward and fell two feet onto a wooden speaker
stand, crushing it as if a car had driven over it. What was left was crumbs
and dust. The TV fell with the screen facing the floor, but survived without
a scratch. I have no idea how. But, if that had been a little kid, we
would've been in the E.R. all day.

Poke around online for wall brackets. Mount the bracket in such a way that
the TV appears (as much as possible) to sit on the entertainment center. Or
something. But forget "which furniture" - nothing will stop the TV if
someone tugs on it, unless it's fastened in place.

MIchael Jasper

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message ...
[...]

Thanks Doug and Paul. Appreciate the helpful input.

I still have a 20" so didn't have a sense of the balance issue.

As you pointed out, the issue is how do you fasten the tv itself, even
if the stand is stable? I have furniture anchoring straps, but they
need to screw into something wooden, not really helpful with a tv. Is
anyone aware of any kind of adhesive-based anchor that would be
sufficiently strong to inhibit a 32" tv from tipping? Not sure I
understand your point about the wall bracket - do you mean to attach
the tv to a wall bracket rather than rest it on the entertainment
center/stand?

MLD - sorry that my attempts to safeguard my children's lives sounded
stupid to you. I suggest ignoring this thread so you don't have to
waste any more of your obviously superior intellect.

Michael

Doug Kanter

[...]

Ever seen the wall brackets used in airports & hospitals? It's a pivoting,
adjustable arm with a platform for the TV. You find a beam and attach the
thing with lag bolts. Might be overkill, but I was obsessive when my son was
little and I assume you are, too. As far as attaching something to the back
of the TV, you might want to do some research at the web sites of TV
manufacturers before heading to the store. I'm wondering if some models
might have solid anchor points for institutional situations. If so, you
could go to a real hardware store, buy some of that braided metal cable used
for bike locks, and get creative.

Stormin Mormon

It's my personal experience that the center of gravity of a TV is right in
the middle of the TV screen. And so it's incredibly easy for the dumb things
to tip forward, falling right on the screen glass. Landing on kids,
driveway, floor, whatever is in front of the screen.

Whatever else you do, please rig the TV so that it's less likely to fall
forward. The TVs of the world now days, the front edge of the set has no
real support. I think this is asinine.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

[...]

Rotation Slim

Whatever you choose to do make sure it is secure... below is info from
the Consumer Product Safety Comission... TV's falling on kids is a
real problem:

From www.cpsc.gov:

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) estimates that
8,000 to 10,000 victims are treated annually in U.S. hospital
emergency rooms for injuries associated with the tipover of furniture.
CPSC also receives reports of about 6 deaths each year. The majority
of these injuries and deaths are to children.

These injuries and deaths frequently occur when children climb onto,
fall against, or pull themselves up on such items as shelves,
bookcases, dressers, bureaus, desks, chests, and television stands. In
some cases, televisions on furniture tip over. Children often climb up
the open drawers of furniture.
Fogbank

(MIchael Jasper) wrote in message . com...
[...]

i went through the same thing. i checked around for a stand for the
36" sony but too expensive. i built one myself almost desk like in
shape that the tv sits on top and all audio gear below so that the
weight is a little better distributed. 240lb brother in law jumped up
and down on the top before we placed the tv in. top heavy is a very
dangerous concern - i had a very nasty experiance with a 120 gallon
fish tank.........
Edwin Pawlowski

"Fogbank" wrote in message

THe stand we have is a fairly tall one - taller than wide. The top
shelf is 29" wide by 19" deep, and it's about 36" high, on casters.

The shelf depth and caster location is important. Most of the weight of a
TV is in the fron. It is IMPORTANT that the TV be properly balanced on the
shelf. I recenly build a stand from oak and put casters that are hidden by a
skirt on the front. When I put my 186 pound TV on it, the stand was
unstable as the casters were mounted a few inche back from the front. It
could have easily tipped and I'm positive it would if one of the drawers
were pulled out to change the balance. .

I moved the casters up a bit and moved the TV back two inches. That fixed it
and I have no worries. The back sticks out over the top by a few inches and
that is OK is it is not rally visilble. It was designed to be that way as
the back enh has very little weight.

So - here are my questions:

1) How do I tell if it will be stable for a given size tv? Is it
sufficient that the base of the TV - the part that actually rests on
the stand - fits the top shelf, regardless of how much the rest of the
tv protrudes to sides or rear?

Hard to say until you put the TV on and check the balance. Remember that
50% of the weight is in the first few inches of the picture tube front.
Lower is better. IMO, many stands are too high. I build my own because I
wanted to have something practical, loks good and be easily moved to clean
around. I do woodworking so it was easy to do. I could have bought one for
$100 but instead I spent $130 for material and spent a couple of weekends
building it. It would probably sell for $500.

3) If we do stick with this stand, how could I anchor the tv to
prevent it from falling if a kid tugs on it? I have no problem with
anchoring the tv stand - I have furniture anchor straps. But that
won't help keep the tv on the stand, and I'm not sure how to fix a
strap to a tv without doing damage to the tv - ie drilling into it!

You could put an electrice fence aroud it. The best behaved kids can pull at
a TV to change the channel or something. You could drill intothe case on
the back or maybe wrap a strap around it and then secure the strap.