Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

How keep tree limb from growing back?

Old September 13th 04, 11:13 PM
[email protected]

Default How keep tree limb from growing back?

I have an elm tree out front of my place

It has one really low branch that is head height and a nuisance.

I saw it off but the dang thing just grows back even harder?

How can i cut this off and keep it from growing bacK?

Any chemical i can put on the "nub" after sawing it off to achieve
that?
Old September 14th 04, 06:22 PM

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 17:13:15 -0500, someone wrote:

I have an elm tree out front of my place

It has one really low branch that is head height and a nuisance.

You sure about that?

There are not many elms in the US any more, what with Dutch Elm
Disease. An if you did have one - an elm is a notably vertical and
towering tree, even small ones sold by tree farms don't usually have
low branches sticking out to the side. Elms reach up up up.

-v.
Old September 14th 04, 07:12 PM
[email protected]

I suppose that you tried just painting it.

No I haven't painted the cut area

If I do that will it keep it from growing back?
Old September 14th 04, 07:25 PM
D. Gerasimatos

v wrote:

There are not many elms in the US any more, what with Dutch Elm
Disease. An if you did have one - an elm is a notably vertical and
towering tree, even small ones sold by tree farms don't usually have
low branches sticking out to the side. Elms reach up up up.

Could be a Chinese elm.

Dimitri

Old September 14th 04, 09:41 PM
James Nipper

There is a special paint for that, but I don't know what it is called. It
is black, and looks like tar. It is supposed to "heal" a severe cut or
other damage, and I think would prevent the limb from growing back at that
spot.

--James--

Old September 15th 04, 12:16 AM
John Davies

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 16:41:41 -0400, "James Nipper"
wrote:

There is a special paint for that, but I don't know what it is called. It
is black, and looks like tar. It is supposed to "heal" a severe cut or
other damage, and I think would prevent the limb from growing back at that
spot.

"Pruning spray". Any nursery or home store with a garden dept should
have it.

John

John Davies TLCA 14732
http://home.comcast.net/~johnedavies/