Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Mike

Default Oil spills in shed

The shed of an old house smell of oil spills (maybe from a lawn
mower). How do you clean it?

Thanks
Mike
Jonathan Kamens

If the oil has seeped into the ground, you're going to have to
dig up all the contaminated dirt, dispose of it in a legally
permissible manner (it's hazardous waste!), and replace it
with clean fill.

There are probably legal restrictions on how you go about
doing this; these restrictions vary from state to state. You
may need to report the spill to your local or state
government, get it inspected, get a permit to clean it up,
get an inspection after clean-up, and/or get certification
that you cleaned it up in a legally acceptable manner.
James Nipper

He is asking about how to clean the floor of his shed, not the dirt.

--James--

---------------------------

If the oil has seeped into the ground, you're going to have to
dig up all the contaminated dirt, dispose of it in a legally
permissible manner (it's hazardous waste!), and replace it
with clean fill.

There are probably legal restrictions on how you go about
doing this; these restrictions vary from state to state. You
may need to report the spill to your local or state
government, get it inspected, get a permit to clean it up,
get an inspection after clean-up, and/or get certification
that you cleaned it up in a legally acceptable manner.
Jonathan Kamens

"James Nipper" writes:
He is asking about how to clean the floor of his shed, not the dirt.

How do you know what he's asking? Many (most?) sheds don't
*have* a constructed floor -- the floor is the ground. He
didn't specify whether his shed has a constructed floor.

If the floor is not the bare ground, then he's going to need
to tell us exactly what it's made out of for us to be able to
give any sort of useful answer about how to get rid of the
smell.
Brikp

Oh please.

We are talking about some mower oil on the floor of a shed for pete's sake
and you want to call the friggen EPA?!?!?!

To the original poster - If its wet - some kitty litter or dry sweep stuff
from pep boys. If you cant find the source and its just the smell it
probably smells like my old shed. Nothing really you can do except stop
storing things like gas and oil in there and air the place out. Vents and or
windows will help.

"Jonathan Kamens" wrote in message
If the oil has seeped into the ground, you're going to have to
dig up all the contaminated dirt, dispose of it in a legally
permissible manner (it's hazardous waste!), and replace it
with clean fill.

There are probably legal restrictions on how you go about
doing this; these restrictions vary from state to state. You
may need to report the spill to your local or state
government, get it inspected, get a permit to clean it up,
get an inspection after clean-up, and/or get certification
that you cleaned it up in a legally acceptable manner.

James Nipper

QUICK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Call Al Gore, and the EPA !!!!!!
TURTLE

"Mike" wrote in message
om...
The shed of an old house smell of oil spills (maybe from a lawn
mower). How do you clean it?

Thanks
Mike

This is Turtle

Get you some Purple liquid soap spray call Caster Clean [ made by Caster Oil
Co. ] and put it on the floor for about 4 hours. Let it Soak for the 4 hours and
then hose it down. It will pull the oil out of the concrete and clean it. Now if
it is real bad I have seen them have to let it soak over nite to clean it good.
They have it at Walmarts for a about $5.00 a gal.

TURTLE

Al Bundy

"TURTLE" wrote in message ...
"Mike" wrote in message
om...
The shed of an old house smell of oil spills (maybe from a lawn
mower). How do you clean it?

Thanks
Mike

This is Turtle

Get you some Purple liquid soap spray call Caster Clean [ made by Caster Oil
Co. ] and put it on the floor for about 4 hours. Let it Soak for the 4 hours and
then hose it down. It will pull the oil out of the concrete and clean it. Now if
it is real bad I have seen them have to let it soak over nite to clean it good.
They have it at Walmarts for a about $5.00 a gal.

TURTLE

Turtle, are you sure that's not Super Clean by Castrol. It has all the
qualities you mention except that name.

TURTLE

"Al Bundy" wrote in message
om...
"TURTLE" wrote in message
"Mike" wrote in message
om...
The shed of an old house smell of oil spills (maybe from a lawn
mower). How do you clean it?

Thanks
Mike

This is Turtle

Get you some Purple liquid soap spray call Caster Clean [ made by Caster Oil
Co. ] and put it on the floor for about 4 hours. Let it Soak for the 4 hours
and
then hose it down. It will pull the oil out of the concrete and clean it. Now
if
it is real bad I have seen them have to let it soak over nite to clean it
good.
They have it at Walmarts for a about $5.00 a gal.

TURTLE

Turtle, are you sure that's not Super Clean by Castrol. It has all the
qualities you mention except that name.

This is Turtle.

Yea, that sounds better. I spell like i talk.

i use it to clean out my shop with and it will get the dirty / grease and what
ever off the concrete floor. It will get the black carbon and oil from burnt
compressors and motors out of the concrete. If you let it sit there for yearS it
is hard to get out and you have to soak it over nite to get to it with the
Castrol's stuff. I'm sure wanting to say Caster's Stuff. Jeff Foxworth was my
english teacher in school.

TURTLE

Need to Move a Shed HerHusband Home Repair 15 August 17th 04 11:34 PM
Storage Shed Anchoring? Jeff Morris Home Repair 10 July 6th 04 02:26 PM
Shed Electrics Paul UK diy 15 May 22nd 04 01:48 PM
Overhead electrical service to a storage shed Timothy J. Trace Home Repair 3 December 3rd 03 05:21 AM
On the subject of a garden shed Andrew McKay UK diy 3 August 27th 03 05:31 PM