Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Water dispersal gutters?

Old September 4th 04, 01:34 AM
Walter Cohen

Default Water dispersal gutters?

I thought there was something akin to a gutter, but not with a trough for
water, that would disperse water as it came down the roof to the edge.
Obviously it would not catch any rain water but simply disperse it out over
the roof edge. Does something like this exist?

I was thinking that in order to eliminate gutters clogged with ice in winter
months if I could just allow the water from melting snow to just disperse
out over the edge of the roof to the ground below.

If nothing like this exists or if it just wouldn't work then......never mind
(or...fugedaboutit).

Thanks,
Walter

Old September 4th 04, 01:52 AM
David W.

"Walter Cohen" wrote in
t:

I thought there was something akin to a gutter, but not with a trough
for water, that would disperse water as it came down the roof to the
edge. Obviously it would not catch any rain water but simply disperse
it out over the roof edge. Does something like this exist?

I was thinking that in order to eliminate gutters clogged with ice in
winter months if I could just allow the water from melting snow to
just disperse out over the edge of the roof to the ground below.

If nothing like this exists or if it just wouldn't work
then......never mind (or...fugedaboutit).

They exist, but I can't remember the name. The marketing gimmick is that
they don't get clogged with leaves and such. They're designed to break up
the water so that it sprinkles down and doesn't erode the ground below like
a stream of water would.

In my opinion, they aren't well suited for many applications. In my case, I
need to get water away from the foundation, so I don't end up with it in my
basement. I need gutters, downspouts and long extensions to do that. The
product you're thinking of still allows the water to fall near the house,
and wouldn't work for me.
Old September 4th 04, 05:03 AM
dadiOH

Walter Cohen wrote:
I thought there was something akin to a gutter, but not with a
trough for water, that would disperse water as it came down the
roof to the edge. Obviously it would not catch any rain water but
simply disperse it out over the roof edge. Does something like
this exist?

I was thinking that in order to eliminate gutters clogged with ice
in winter months if I could just allow the water from melting snow
to just disperse out over the edge of the roof to the ground below.

If nothing like this exists or if it just wouldn't work
then......never mind (or...fugedaboutit).

Rainhandler
http://www.rainhandler.com/

--
dadiOH
_____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.0...
____________________________

Old September 4th 04, 04:12 PM
HRL

"dadiOH" wrote in message
Walter Cohen wrote:
I thought there was something akin to a gutter, but not with a
trough for water, that would disperse water as it came down the
roof to the edge. Obviously it would not catch any rain water but
simply disperse it out over the roof edge. Does something like
this exist?

I was thinking that in order to eliminate gutters clogged with ice
in winter months if I could just allow the water from melting snow
to just disperse out over the edge of the roof to the ground below.

If nothing like this exists or if it just wouldn't work
then......never mind (or...fugedaboutit).

Rainhandler
http://www.rainhandler.com/

Kind of expensive isn't it? About $20 a foot for materials.

Old September 4th 04, 06:46 PM
dadiOH

HRL wrote:
"dadiOH" wrote in message
Walter Cohen wrote:
I thought there was something akin to a gutter, but not with a
trough for water, that would disperse water as it came down the
roof to the edge. Obviously it would not catch any rain water but
simply disperse it out over the roof edge. Does something like
this exist?

I was thinking that in order to eliminate gutters clogged with ice
in winter months if I could just allow the water from melting snow
to just disperse out over the edge of the roof to the ground
below.

If nothing like this exists or if it just wouldn't work
then......never mind (or...fugedaboutit).

Rainhandler
http://www.rainhandler.com/

Kind of expensive isn't it? About $20 a foot for materials.

You misread the price but even if it was $20.ft, so what? Why tell me? The
OP wanted a name and I gave it to him...up to him to decide if he wants to
buy.

--
dadiOH
_____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.0...
____________________________

Old September 4th 04, 07:20 PM
Micro Angelo

In a previous posting, Usenet was endowed with the following text from
"Walter Cohen" :

I thought there was something akin to a gutter, but not with a trough for
water, that would disperse water as it came down the roof to the edge.
Obviously it would not catch any rain water but simply disperse it out over
the roof edge. Does something like this exist?

I was thinking that in order to eliminate gutters clogged with ice in winter
months if I could just allow the water from melting snow to just disperse
out over the edge of the roof to the ground below.

If nothing like this exists or if it just wouldn't work then......never mind
(or...fugedaboutit).

Thanks,
Walter

The product you thinking about is crap. After you buy them, realize they
are crap, remove them and install real rain gutters, you will have spent
4 times as much money as you should have.

Just do the right thing. Install rain gutters and route the water where
it will do the least harm.

Mike
Old September 4th 04, 07:32 PM
HRL

"dadiOH" wrote in message
HRL wrote:
"dadiOH" wrote in message
Walter Cohen wrote:
[...]

Whoops, I did say it wrong. That's $20 each (for 5 feet = $4 a foot).
And I just asked a question. And thought he would like to know.

Quite a wide variation in prices:

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/rainhand...cialoffer.html

http://www.abundantearth.com/store/rainhandler.html

http://www.gadgetrealm.com/r/Rainhandler/

Old September 5th 04, 08:31 PM
Walter Cohen

You missed the point.
I have ice buildup/dams in winter and am looking for a way to cut down or
eliminate it from occurring.
My gutters work fine when there isn't ice in them.

Walter

Old September 5th 04, 10:29 PM
ameijers

"Walter Cohen" wrote in message
et...
You missed the point.
I have ice buildup/dams in winter and am looking for a way to cut down or
eliminate it from occurring.
My gutters work fine when there isn't ice in them.

Walter

No real good solutions for an existing roof- it almost has to be built into
the roof design. Some people put zig-zags of heat tape up there, but that is
of course expensive to feed, and can actually make damming situation worse
unless you leave it running till roof is dry. Any way to stop heat leakage
from house that melts the snow at overhang? If you can keep the roof deck
cold, that may be enough to keep ice down. Or do you get enough sunlight in
winter that it heats itself? Is your roof due for an upgrade anytime soon?
Definitely want a couple rows of that sticky membrane stuff along the
bottom, if you don't have them already. If problem is real bad, you may want
to consider a standing seam roof, and least for the faces where the snow
builds up. Snow slides right off those puppies, to the extent you have to
put peak things above doors to avoid people being hit by mini-avalanches.
Maybe, once rainy season is over, you could tuck a strip of flashing under
first row of shingles in the problem areas, and sort of plate over the
gutter? Not sure how you would fasten it w/o damaging roof, however.

Winters have been ultra-mild around here for the last decade or so, but when
I furst moved up here, everyone had roof rakes, and used them. Fine on a
6-12 ranch roof, but not real practical on a 2-story colonial. More than 6"
of snow, figure on spending an hour raking before the next storm. Usually
didn't need to do whole roof, just the little pockets (like on an L-shaped
roof) where the drifts built up. Up in Norway, they build roofs like
upside-down ships, with the pointy end into prevailing wind.

aem sends...

Copper pipe sizing. Is bigger better? Paul J Home Repair 19 February 29th 04 08:52 PM
need hot water FAST PV Home Repair 38 January 30th 04 02:15 AM
NO MORE hot water problems [email protected] Home Repair 9 January 29th 04 07:15 PM
Thankless or Tankless hot water heaters [email protected] Home Repair 6 January 29th 04 04:01 AM
Why is this a bad idea? Mike Hibbert UK diy 18 August 29th 03 12:59 AM