Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Duffy Tweedy

Default "Normal" compact fluorescent bulb in 3-way lamp safe?

I've seen some mixed messages, even from labs and government sites,
about whether "normal" CFL bulbs can be used safely in 3-way lamps.
Some say flatly Yes, others No. But I haven't seen much about this in
general. Can someone point me to a definitive site, or answer this
one? The reason I'd like to be able to use regular CFLs is, of
course, lower cost. But unless I can determine finally that it is
safe to do so, obviously I'll have to assume otherwise and not use
them. Thanks.
--Duffy Tweedy
Rich Greenberg

In article ,
Duffy Tweedy wrote:
I've seen some mixed messages, even from labs and government sites,
about whether "normal" CFL bulbs can be used safely in 3-way lamps.
Some say flatly Yes, others No. But I haven't seen much about this in
general. Can someone point me to a definitive site, or answer this
one? The reason I'd like to be able to use regular CFLs is, of
course, lower cost. But unless I can determine finally that it is
safe to do so, obviously I'll have to assume otherwise and not use
them. Thanks.

Should work fine except the switch will work "funny", the same funny as
if you put a standard bulb in a 3 way lamp.

--
Rich Greenberg N6LRT Marietta, GA, USA richgr atsign panix.com + 1 770 321 6507
Eastern time zone. I speak for myself & my dogs only. VM'er since CP-67

On 24 Aug 2004 09:48:30 -0700, someone wrote:

I've seen some mixed messages, even from labs and government sites,
about whether "normal" CFL bulbs can be used safely in 3-way lamps.

What's the danger? Seriously. The 3-way switch doesn't change the
voltage, it just steers the power to one, the other, or both of two
"hot" contacts on the bulb (and there is a common neutral).

One filament is "low", the second is "medium", and both together is
"high". What is the danger to the bulb? Now, I'm not sure if it ends
up working "off-on-off-on" or "off-off-on-on" and I suppose this could
be a danger to a person putting their finger in the socket thinking it
is a regualr bulb that is really "off". But that's not because its a
CFL.

???

-v.

Travis Jordan

Duffy Tweedy wrote:
I've seen some mixed messages, even from labs and government sites,
about whether "normal" CFL bulbs can be used safely in 3-way lamps.
Some say flatly Yes, others No. But I haven't seen much about this in
general. Can someone point me to a definitive site, or answer this
one? The reason I'd like to be able to use regular CFLs is, of
course, lower cost. But unless I can determine finally that it is
safe to do so, obviously I'll have to assume otherwise and not use
them. Thanks.
--Duffy Tweedy

A CFL bulb in a standard 3-way fixture is perfectly safe.

Harry K

"Travis Jordan" wrote in message ...
Duffy Tweedy wrote:
I've seen some mixed messages, even from labs and government sites,
about whether "normal" CFL bulbs can be used safely in 3-way lamps.
Some say flatly Yes, others No. But I haven't seen much about this in
general. Can someone point me to a definitive site, or answer this
one? The reason I'd like to be able to use regular CFLs is, of
course, lower cost. But unless I can determine finally that it is
safe to do so, obviously I'll have to assume otherwise and not use
them. Thanks.
--Duffy Tweedy

A CFL bulb in a standard 3-way fixture is perfectly safe.

Correct. It will only light at one level, that of the bulb rating.

Harry K

Christopher Green

Duffy Tweedy wrote:
I've seen some mixed messages, even from labs and government sites,
about whether "normal" CFL bulbs can be used safely in 3-way lamps.
Some say flatly Yes, others No. But I haven't seen much about this in
general. Can someone point me to a definitive site, or answer this
one? The reason I'd like to be able to use regular CFLs is, of
course, lower cost. But unless I can determine finally that it is
safe to do so, obviously I'll have to assume otherwise and not use
them. Thanks.
--Duffy Tweedy

A CFL bulb in a standard 3-way fixture is perfectly safe.

There are also 3-way CFLs. I haven't been particularly impressed, but they do work.

--
Chris Green
Stormin Mormon

The danger is that if the contacts on the base of the bulb are designed
differently, you could dead short the circuit.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"v" wrote in message
On 24 Aug 2004 09:48:30 -0700, someone wrote:

I've seen some mixed messages, even from labs and government sites,
about whether "normal" CFL bulbs can be used safely in 3-way lamps.

What's the danger? Seriously. The 3-way switch doesn't change the
voltage, it just steers the power to one, the other, or both of two
"hot" contacts on the bulb (and there is a common neutral).

One filament is "low", the second is "medium", and both together is
"high". What is the danger to the bulb? Now, I'm not sure if it ends
up working "off-on-off-on" or "off-off-on-on" and I suppose this could
be a danger to a person putting their finger in the socket thinking it
is a regualr bulb that is really "off". But that's not because its a
CFL.

???

-v.

Christopher Green

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message ...
The danger is that if the contacts on the base of the bulb are designed
differently, you could dead short the circuit.

No possibility: think about it. Not if the bulb were designed for a
conventional socket. Even if it shorted the two center contacts, the
only thing you would be shorting out is the two wires from the
switched side of the control, and it would switch on-on-off-off.

--
Chris Green
Stormin Mormon

The three way has a center, a "ring" and a ground, which is the threads.

If the CF, the threads go too far in, it is possible to power the "ring"
contact, which is now touching the ground.

just thinking out loud, here.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

om...

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 19:34:25 -0400, someone wrote:

If the CF, the threads go too far in, it is possible to power the "ring"
contact, which is now touching the ground.

just thinking out loud, here.

Are you saying that CF bulbs are actually manufactured that way - or
IF they were, then it would be a problem? Hell, IF regular bulbs were
manufactured that way, then that would also be a problem. But somehow
it seems pefectly "safe" to screw a regular bulb into a 3-way socket.
Are you saying that the manufacturers of CF bulbs don't know about
this?

-v.
Christopher Green

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 19:34:25 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

The three way has a center, a "ring" and a ground, which is the threads.

If the CF, the threads go too far in, it is possible to power the "ring"
contact, which is now touching the ground.

just thinking out loud, here.

Only a really badly manufactured base could do that. Same problem
would be possible with a really badly manufactured incandescent.

All it would do is blow a breaker.

--
Chris Green